Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UMC Cord Organizers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After installing a NEMA 14-50 receptacle in my garage from a nearby circuit breaker panel supporting pool equipment, I needed a hanger for the UMC. Unfortunately, the Tesla store frequently runs out of their cord hanger. Therefore, I installed this vacuum hose hanger, available in black to match the UMC. Buy the Square model at only $5.99. There's a less attractive Round model too. Make sure gravity holds the plastic charger plug over the hanger because falling on floor may crack/chip it. BTW, leave your NEMA 14-50 plugged in as recommended in many other posts.

UMC hanger1.JPG

Problem with my garage is that where I live we have winter, and they salt/sand the roads regularly. That gets caught up in the snow sticking to the underside of your car, which then dumps it in the garage, where it melts and leaves a dirty mess.

The UMC then gets dragged through that and becomes disgusting to the point you don't want to touch it when you're going to work after charging, so I end up having to snap a wave into the line to get it to retreat from behind my car into the corner of the garage.

Ideally I'd have a solution that keeps the cable off the ground and up and out of the way. The nice easy vacuum hose hanger solution means I have to touch the UMC cable. not happening.

I'm thinking of grabbing one of those retractable tool pulls that lifts it up to the ceiling. Pull it down and plug it in to charge, then just give it a jerk and it pulls it up to the ceiling to get it out of the way when I'm done.

Will need one strong enough to lift the plug end and about 10 feet of cable.

51N2EDFg5gL._SL1000_.jpg

Problem with my garage is that where I live we have winter, and they salt/sand the roads regularly. That gets caught up in the snow sticking to the underside of your car, which then dumps it in the garage, where it melts and leaves a dirty mess.

The UMC then gets dragged through that and becomes disgusting to the point you don't want to touch it when you're going to work after charging, so I end up having to snap a wave into the line to get it to retreat from behind my car into the corner of the garage.

Ideally I'd have a solution that keeps the cable off the ground and up and out of the way. The nice easy vacuum hose hanger solution means I have to touch the UMC cable. not happening.

I'm thinking of grabbing one of those retractable tool pulls that lifts it up to the ceiling. Pull it down and plug it in to charge, then just give it a jerk and it pulls it up to the ceiling to get it out of the way when I'm done.

Will need one strong enough to lift the plug end and about 10 feet of cable.

51N2EDFg5gL._SL1000_.jpg
Apparently that device is called a "tool balancer", so you can search for it. Here is a thead of someone who installed that. Looks very convenient.
Tool Balancer: My new favorite home charger hack