TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

UMC Dying

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by scaesare, Aug 16, 2017.

1. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

Looks like my UMC is on it's last legs. A few times previously the car would state "check charger power" with the UMC inserted and energized. A couple of times reseating it helped. Cleaning out the connector seemed to have alleviated it for a bit.

Two days ago the car wouldn't recognize it no matter how many times I reseated it. Finally I gave the UMC body a hard rap, and the light on it went red. I reset the breaker on the bottom, and the car saw it. Yesterday it wouldn't kick in regardless of how many times I tried that trick. Trying additional known-good outlets didn't help.

The fact that cleaning the connector contacts seemed to help makes me think it could be a flaky contact at the car-end of the cable. However, the fact that rapping on the body helped makes me think it may be an internal fault.

Q's:

-Has anybody successfully opened one of these up to attempt repair? (or are they all epoxied up?)

- Any sources for just the UMC without the bundled case and connectors? I have all of those.

Thanks.

2. AustinP

AustinP Member

3. Musterion

Musterion 18h 03m 37s −24° 23′ 12″

The UMC itself and connectors at both ends are basically solid pieces of plastic and epoxy encapsulating circuit boards and wiring. Check out this great thread by @TonyWilliams for photos:
    Tesla Model S UMC cut open and modified to J1772

If your UMC was supplied with the car originally, it is still under the original car warranty. If that has expired, not sure about ESA eligibility for it. Although Tesla no longer sells the unbundled version on its online shop (it has been replaced with one with a permanent power connection), you might be able to buy it at a Service Center parts desk -- it was available last year when I checked, but not sure now. Good luck!

4. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

Thanks... I had seen Tony's dissection of the cable, but wasn't sure about the electronics module itself. It doesn't look like it's easily crackable, but I may give it a shot.

I was thinking the same thing about service center for the specific part #, as mine is outside of warrantee (just over 4 yrs old). It only saw significant usage in the last yr, however... :(

5. Musterion

Musterion 18h 03m 37s −24° 23′ 12″

Yes, you are right. I seem to remember other photos of the UMC chassis cut open, but can't find them now. I recall similar epoxy-encapsulation, which is why I think all modifications seem to use the cord and not go back to the chassis. Here is another idea for you in case you buy a new one: the V2 Tesla Wall Connector is now cheaper than the UMC, is designed to be opened up, and can be modified for mobile use (you could even re-use your UMC power-side cord & connector that mates with adapters, if you restrict the amperage using the internal switch).

6. smilepak

smilepak Active Member

You can modify it for mobile use?

Model S/X Wall Connector

Is it a Tesla official design or one of those online hack-able method?

7. davewill

davewill Member

It a total hack. I wouldn't carry the wall connector around. It's not designed to be moved constantly, and the cable is overly heavy.

• Informative x 1
  8. TonyWilliams

TonyWilliams Active Member

Yes, please don't carry the HPWC / Wall Connector as a "portable". It's not.

You're not going to be able to fix anything inside the potted plastic.