Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UMC errors related to specific location, frustrated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems to me that Tesla should at least diagnose the problem, and if it's the power source, tell the OP what they found. That way, this information could be communicated to an electrician (not at Tesla's expense) that could fix the problem.

It seems to me that Tesla should at least diagnose the problem, and if it's the power source, tell the OP what they found. That way, this information could be communicated to an electrician (not at Tesla's expense) that could fix the problem.

It would be nice if they had the bandwidth to do stuff like that, but I don't expect them to provide an electrical inspection service, too.

Respectfully disagree markb1. Tesla looked into the situation and they determined that the product was not at fault. Then the responsibility lies with owner. I think the OP needs to explore other options. He charges at home with a 120V but needs a 220V. So he needs to go to another 220V and see if it works. If it does then OP needs to figure out what is going on with the outlet at work. If it doesn't then he can take that back to Tesla and possibly get another UMC.

Yes, it charges at other places including my home. I NEED it to charge at my office. I am building a new house and will have a 220 outlet there but it's not finished yet so I am only on 120V outlet at home currently and it's not enough.

I took videos of the UMC and Tesla said it flashed 9 times. They seemed very interested (someone in California) in troubleshooting it and all of a sudden I got the email from regional service manager that told me it was my problem because it charges elsewhere and other vehicles don't charge at my location. We have a lot of equipment here, and a lot of PWM motor drives, but it is all UL/CE marked and this UMC seemingly doesn't like interference from something according to Tesla. They said the car "loses its pilot signal" and it is my problem. That is why I think it is a noise immunity or susceptibility problem. I think it is their problem if their device isn't tested to the IEC standards and certified by a notified body (like UL).

I am not a troll....and my problem is real and getting rid of a car that the manufacturer doesn't support does seem like a valid option (but not necessarily number one on my list).
Hold on, back this train up. Your own evidence says it isn't the UMC but rather a power issue at your place of employment. What exactly do you expect Tesla to do? Would you blame Apple if your iPhone wouldn't charge on a dead circuit in your house? Would you then expect Apple to hire an electrician to come fix said circuit?

Of course not, that's just silly. Just like it is silly to expect Tesla to figure out the problem with your employer's power issue. They are 100% correct in saying it isn't their problem.

"Getting rid of the car" because of an electricity problem on the plug your are using is a bit extreme, don't you think? :rolleyes:

especially considering this UMC device is not tested for emissions and immunity per industry standards and is not UL approved.

Automotive parts are exempted from those regulations. Since the UMC is supplied with the car they are not obligated to get those certifications. I really doubt Tesla would sell an unsafe product in any case; it is not to their advantage whatsoever! So I'm sure they have taken appropriate measures to ensure product safety.

The HPWC is however fully tested and rated, as it is sold separately.

It would be nice if they had the bandwidth to do stuff like that, but I don't expect them to provide an electrical inspection service, too.

I'm not suggesting they provide an electrical inspection service. But they should try to debug the problem on their end. If the UMC is shutting down, they should be able to determine something about why it's shutting down.

Sadly we'll probably hear more stories like this as Tesla moves from early adopters towards the mainstream. Buyers who have the money but not the interest or patience to deal with some of the challenges of using this new technology.

To be fair, the UMC is not up to the task of charging at 40A, and Tesla's solution is to limit the thing through the car software.

I charged at 40A for well over a year without any issues. They are probably on the conservative side with their tolerances as risking problems during charging is not in Tesla's best interest.

I would try to find another UMC that you can borrow and see if a second UMC has similar problems at your work. Or ask another Tesla owner to try charging at your work as a test to see if that works. The problem could be in the car charger too.

What voltage does your car register on the dash when you plug in? When it starts? The other suggestions here were good too. Try charging after machinery has been turn off at work to see if that helps. Try charging from a different work plug. Try using line filters.

Now you're confusing me with the OP.

I am. So sorry. Reading this on my iPhone.

Tesla should try and determine what is going on and it looks like they did. The fact that work is the only place things don't narrows things down. He should pay an electrician to check that out first or see if other Tesla's have problems there first.

Yes, it charges at other places including my home. I NEED it to charge at my office. I am building a new house and will have a 220 outlet there but it's not finished yet so I am only on 120V outlet at home currently and it's not enough.

I took videos of the UMC and Tesla said it flashed 9 times. They seemed very interested (someone in California) in troubleshooting it and all of a sudden I got the email from regional service manager that told me it was my problem because it charges elsewhere and other vehicles don't charge at my location. We have a lot of equipment here, and a lot of PWM motor drives, but it is all UL/CE marked and this UMC seemingly doesn't like interference from something according to Tesla. They said the car "loses its pilot signal" and it is my problem. That is why I think it is a noise immunity or susceptibility problem. I think it is their problem if their device isn't tested to the IEC standards and certified by a notified body (like UL).

I am not a troll....and my problem is real and getting rid of a car that the manufacturer doesn't support does seem like a valid option (but not necessarily number one on my list).

I understand your problem is real but lack of proper charging at home at faulty charging at work isn't Tesla's fault.

How exactly should Tesla fix this without sending an inspector out there? The same UMC works at every single location except your work location. Could it be possible the problem is at work with the electrical power?

The have debugged the problem and likely feel it is related to the power. You never answered any of the questions posed before.

Did you take UMC to service center or call ownership to ask for a new one?

Why would a UMC need emissions testing?

What do you mean by immunity?

What did your local service center say?

What did Tesla say exactly when they told you to "F-off"?

Did you call Tesla Ownership and ask them for help?

To be fair, the UMC is not up to the task of charging at 40A, and Tesla's solution is to limit the thing through the car software.

I agree. At least by my standards which are obviously different than Tesla's and many of you here. When a cable ALWAYS gets warm at 40A, then you are wasting energy. In addition, it bugs me a little to hear Tesla accuse owners of their power supply having "noise on ground" and then dismissing any problems with the UMC. In my experience this noise is frequently generated by the UMC itself. I have discovered this "noise on ground" issue with a lot of UMCs that I have tested. Not saying that's what's wrong with the OP's equipment or that he's handling it correctly. Just providing another perspective.

I understand your problemmostlyreal but lack of proper charging at home at faulty charg at work isn't Tesla's fault.

How exactly should Tesla fix this without sending an inspector out there? The same UMC works at every single location except your work location. Could it be possible the problem is at work with the electrical power?

The have debugged the problem and likely feel it is related to the power. You never answered any of the questions posed before.

Did you take UMC to service center or call ownership to ask for a new one?

Why would a UMC need emissions testing?

What do you mean by immunity?

What did your local service center say?

What did Tesla say exactly when they told you to "F-off"?

Did you call Tesla Ownership and ask them for help?

I get it....this is an enthusiast forum, with mostly Tesla lovers. I wish right now I could be one of you. But instead I have bought a new car that does not work as it is supposed to. And of course while they didn't tell me to f-off or pound sand literally...it feels the same to me. There is nothing wrong with the power at my office. Tesla sent an electrician twice and he said it was the car (or UMC). My electrician says it is not the power and if another device is interfering with it then it is the car's fault because everything else is UL approved. These regulations are in place just for this reason....imagine having a solar system installed in your house and when it is on the car won't charge. The PV inverter is both CE and UL approved and has passed both emissions and susceptibility testing. The car hasn't. Are you still going to blame the PV inverter? The city electrical inspector likely won't even allow me to plug in the car because it isn't UL marked...it's the law! Whoever said that since it is a vehicle it is exempt is mistaken...these are local codes and have not been altered for Tesla's or Nissan's sake. If someone has a copy of the 2014 NEC and can post an excerpt that states that vehicle charging equipment shall be exempt from UL harmonized standards, I would like to see it.

To those of you that did post some helpful suggestions, thank you. I have tried 120V charging from outlets in different parts of the building and fed from different panels all with the same result. Charge cable fault is what comes up in the car, and yes Tesla tried three other UMC's. When on the 208 outlet the voltage is around 213 until the failure. Absolutely nothing happens on the line side at this moment....no fluctuation other than the one or so volt rise when the car stops charging. Because of the physical panel and outlet layout there is little room to play with line filtering, but I will study that more. I really shouldn't need to for reasons I stated, but naturally I am the one being inconvenienced by this. If I used a J1772 charging station, wouldn't I still need to plug in the UMC?

I get it....this is an enthusiast forum, with mostly Tesla lovers. I wish right now I could be one of you. But instead I have bought a new car that does not work as it is supposed to. And of course while they didn't tell me to f-off or pound sand literally...it feels the same to me. There is nothing wrong with the power at my office. Tesla sent an electrician twice and he said it was the car (or UMC). My electrician says it is not the power and if another device is interfering with it then it is the car's fault because everything else is UL approved. These regulations are in place just for this reason....imagine having a solar system installed in your house and when it is on the car won't charge. The PV inverter is both CE and UL approved and has passed both emissions and susceptibility testing. The car hasn't. Are you still going to blame the PV inverter? The city electrical inspector likely won't even allow me to plug in the car because it isn't UL marked...it's the law! Whoever said that since it is a vehicle it is exempt is mistaken...these are local codes and have not been altered for Tesla's or Nissan's sake. If someone has a copy of the 2014 NEC and can post an excerpt that states that vehicle charging equipment shall be exempt from UL harmonized standards, I would like to see it.

To those of you that did post some helpful suggestions, thank you. I have tried 120V charging from outlets in different parts of the building and fed from different panels all with the same result. Charge cable fault is what comes up in the car, and yes Tesla tried three other UMC's. When on the 208 outlet the voltage is around 213 until the failure. Absolutely nothing happens on the line side at this moment....no fluctuation other than the one or so volt rise when the car stops charging. Because of the physical panel and outlet layout there is little room to play with line filtering, but I will study that more. I really shouldn't need to for reasons I stated, but naturally I am the one being inconvenienced by this. If I used a J1772 charging station, wouldn't I still need to plug in the UMC?

did the other 3 UMCs work at your office location? If not, then it's still the electrical supply to blame. The iPhone example given previously is right on target. The UMC works everywhere else then it's not the UMC, I still believe there is noise or some other issue with the ground or something at your office. Your "iPhone" works fine, it's the charging juice to blame.

And no, you don't use the UMC, there's a J1772 adapter that came with your car that attaches to the J-1772 connector that goes to the car.

No, in a J1772 charging station you use that station's cable and just attach the J1772 adapter on the end.

It might have been helpful in the OP if you had posted the information in your most recent post rather than saying that Tesla had told you to "f-off" because the charging cable doesn't function at work. You might have received a better response. That said, even with your latest description, I still don't know what you expect Tesla to do and given that they actually sent electricians out to your place of work twice, I think they've actually gone way above and beyond. You think Ford would send someone out to check out your office if for some reason one of their plug-in hybrids wouldn't charge there?

There's obviously too much noise in the lines in your building. Unless there is some way to filter it out, there is nothing that physically can be done on Tesla's part.

Last edited: