Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UMC-J1772 Adapter overview video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys!

Just a quick video I made using the TeslaTap adapter to charge my chevrolet volt. I will be using this for home use as explained in my next video.

thanks!

Thanks for the video. We have one as well. Works well. Handy to have in the adapter bag. If we get a model three and wall charger it will be handy to charge the smart in the garage.

Reactions: coconutboy84
Hi guys!

Just a quick video I made using the TeslaTap adapter to charge my chevrolet volt. I will be using this for home use as explained in my next video.

thanks!

So that address in the video is listed on Tesla's destination charger page:
canada.JPG

That means Tesla has subsidized that charger/installation for use by Tesla owners.

I appreciate the OP was just testing, and intends to charge on his privately owned TWC. However it would be unfortunate if other folks start using these at destination chargers.

Reactions: Pkmmte and hcsharp
So that address in the video is listed on Tesla's destination charger page:
View attachment 283153

That means Tesla has subsidized that charger/installation for use by Tesla owners.

I appreciate the OP was just testing, and intends to charge on his privately owned TWC. However it would be unfortunate if other folks start using these at destination chargers.
I see your point, however many j1772 chargers are subsidized so tesla's charging on those is kind of the same idea. Ideally any electric car should be able to charge from any EVSE. The world will be going this way, so best to get ahead of it.

I see your point, however many j1772 chargers are subsidized so tesla's charging on those is kind of the same idea. Ideally any electric car should be able to charge from any EVSE. The world will be going this way, so best to get ahead of it.
I disagree. While that may be your stance, you weren't the one footing a portion of the bill.

You may find THIS THREAD of interest.

I disagree. While that may be your stance, you weren't the one footing a portion of the bill.

You may find THIS THREAD of interest.
well agree to disagree! anything that accelerates EV adoption is a-ok with me. The adapters are out and about, so all i can
I suggest you read the discussion thread.

It's of note that there are indications Tesla doesn't share that viewpoint either.
I actually just checked out the thread, I see many different opinions. Like i said though, its out there now and will be happening more and more. Better to adapt and be accepting than Tesla elitist, which is already an issue.

• Disagree
Reactions: Troy
It will always be a hot topic and I get both sides of the story. Emotion plays a role as well. When you see a picture of a chargepoint site where there are 6 stations, 5 of the 6 occupied by Tesla’s WITHOUT ONE OF THEM PLUGGED IN, then on that day I would without hesitation find a Tesla wall charger and use my adapter. On other days I lean towards the absolutely only in a pinch situation.

Interestingly enough, there are are sites on plug share where they tell the user to “check at the front desk for an adapter for non Tesla” or something like that. I think one of them is in the siskiyus. I think that is a little over the top.

JMHO

Reactions: coconutboy84
It will always be a hot topic and I get both sides of the story. Emotion plays a role as well. When you see a picture of a chargepoint site where there are 6 stations, 5 of the 6 occupied by Tesla WITHOUT ONE OF THEM PLUGGED IN, then on that day I would without hesitation find a Tesla wall charger and use my adapter. On other days I lean towards the absolutely only in a pinch situation.

Interestingly enough, there are are sites on plug share where they tell the user to “check at the front desk for an adapter for non Tesla” or something like that. I think one of them is in the siskiyus.
I completely get it, i would only use it in a pinch as well, and i have a very specific person use for it until my model 3 comes anyway. I obviously have the luxury of an engine as well, so i really dont charge in public much. sooner or later, all the plugs will eventually be interoperable so its just a matter of time people get used to it.

• Disagree
Reactions: Troy
I find the "two wrongs make a right" rationalization unfortunate.

With the entitled attitude displayed, I'm not surprised Tesla has engineered the Gen 2 wall chargers to be configurable to lock out generic J1772 usage for some applications such as destination charging locations.

Reactions: hcsharp
well agree to disagree! anything that accelerates EV adoption is a-ok with me. The adapters are out and about, so all i can

I actually just checked out the thread, I see many different opinions. Like i said though, its out there now and will be happening more and more. Better to adapt and be accepting than Tesla elitist, which is already an issue.
I always find it telling when people claim that it's "elitist" to advocate not taking what isn't offered to you.

Reactions: hcsharp
I find the "two wrongs make a right" rationalization unfortunate.

With the entitled attitude displayed, I'm not surprised Tesla has engineered the Gen 2 wall chargers to be configurable to lock out generic J1772 usage for some applications such as destination charging locations.

Like I said. Emotion will play a roll depending on any given situation. My guess is though it will never become a problem as most of us EVers who own these adapters will avoid using them unless the situation is dire. I doubt there is a lot out there. Kinda glad it’s in the kit though. :). It’ll also come in Handy if we get an HPWC in the garage (if we end up buying a model 3).