Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UMC-J1772 TeslaTap adapter Reviews

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do any of you have information on the UMC-J1772 TeslaTap adapter (Tesla destination charger-to-J1772)?
TeslaTap
The price is only $250, but it has max 40 amp limit and I've heard that it does not always work with Tesla destination chargers (but apparently is good with Tesla home chargers).

(What I really want is an economical Tesla HPWC-to-Roadster adapter, but the CAN seems to be the only option, at $795.) Any suggestions?

Do any of you have information on the UMC-J1772 TeslaTap adapter (Tesla destination charger-to-J1772)?
TeslaTap
The price is only $250, but it has max 40 amp limit and I've heard that it does not always work with Tesla destination chargers (but apparently is good with Tesla home chargers).

(What I really want is an economical Tesla HPWC-to-Roadster adapter, but the CAN seems to be the only option, at $795.) Any suggestions?

The CAN SR is the only option. And if you read the thread when @hcsharp was developing this with members of this community, there was a 90+% success rate. Read that thread and ask there. The roadster community on TMC spent a lot of time working with Henry to get it to the point that it is.

Reactions: dhrivnak
TeslaTap

We have one. It works as advertised. No idea on the max current. Neither of our EV's pulls more than 27 amps. We got it from these guys. (Tony) Quick Charge Power | Featured Products. Looks the same as the one in your link though. It has come in handy. We bought it for a few specific situations and locations that we need to deal with. Works. This was our test on our smart.

26348605619_8b105bd840_z.jpg

We have one. It works as advertised. No idea on the max current. Neither of our EV's pulls more than 27 amps. We got it from these guys. (Tony) Quick Charge Power | Featured Products. Looks the same as the one in your link though. It has come in handy. We bought it for a few specific situations and locations that we need to deal with. Works. This was our test on our smart.

26348605619_8b105bd840_z.jpg

That's from destination charger to J1772... to get that to a Roadster, you need to convert the J1772 to Roadster... 2 adapters...

• Informative
TeslaTap

Disclosure: I might be biased because I sell Roadster adapters.

IMHO this Tesla2 to J1772 is an accident waiting to happen. Many of the parts are only rated for 40A but there's nothing to prevent the user from connecting to an 80A vehicle (or 70A Roadster). You can say you'll only use it on 30 - 40A vehicles but who's to say you will be the only person to ever use it and always remember to dial the amps down? And the OP is already talking about using one on a 70A vehicle.

If you think you're going to use this at Destination chargers, good luck with that. Tesla has already shipped a number of Destination chargers that will only work with Tesla vehicles (including Roadsters). The OP is correct that it will work with wall chargers and UMCs purchased by homeowners.

I also question some of the other design decisions with this adapter. For example, it has no safety latch to hold the connector into the adapter. That makes it easy to have a live disconnect which damages the connector and adapter. I've also been told the pins are not plated which will shorten the life of both the connector and adapter, but I haven't seen one to confirm if the pins are unplated.

I certainly don't blame the OP for looking for a more economical solution. My adapters are expensive. I wish they didn't have to be. I wish I sold enough of them to take advantage of injection molding, higher production numbers and other potential cost-saving opportunities. Power wires are crimped and tested to make sure they are tight. All of my adapters are tested charging my own Roadster before they are shipped. Perhaps you get what you pay for.

As per the website

"The adapter has a special circuit that allows it to work on any current Tesla charger including Destination Chargers."

So not sure if you are correct on wether it works with present wall chargers.
I'm sorry but that's wrong and that's the reason Tony Williams had to stop saying it works with Destination Chargers.

Tony's website also says "DO NOT USE JDAPTER STUB ... WITH THE FOLLOWING VEHICLES:
Tesla Roadster"

Not all Gen 2 Tesla Wall Chargers are the same. Most of the Destination chargers might work now but many of the new ones will not. Eventually TeslaTap will have to accept this reality.

I'm sorry but that's wrong and that's the reason Tony Williams had to stop saying it works with Destination Chargers.

Tony's website also says "DO NOT USE JDAPTER STUB ... WITH THE FOLLOWING VEHICLES:
Tesla Roadster"

Not all Gen 2 Tesla Wall Chargers are the same. Most of the Destination chargers might work now but many of the new ones will not. Eventually TeslaTap will have to accept this reality.

Besides, most Destination charger locations get 2 UMC and one J1772 as part of the program.

Tesla Roadster"

Interesting stuff.

I will put in a plug for the HCSharp series of CANS. I have used both for years and they have been rock solid. And I have used both at maximum current with no issues. They are machined Al and Henry knows the Roadsters very well. I always have the CAN JR and the CAN SR in the car. Which due to their small size works.
+1 to this.

The small size and robust quality make these a must-have for Roadster owners. I keep the JR version in the cup holder by the center console. That's how much it got used (before I retired).

TeslaTap

The CAN SR is the only reliable choice for going from a Tesla HPWC to the Roadster. In this case you really do get what you pay for. What Henry offers is amazingly well made. Think about the tiny production volume numbers he is working with. I’m astonished that he can produce such a fine product for that price.

TeslaTap

I decided to give the TeslaTap adapter a try. My setup is overly complicated, but works fine so far. I attach the TeslaTap to my Tesla HPC, then attach my J1772-to-Roadster adapter to that. One caution on the instructions that came with the TeslaTap is worth noting: "Make sure that you plug the Tesla Charge connector into the socket at least 30 seconds before you plug the J1772 Handle into your car. This will give the bypass circuit the time it needs to allow Tesla Generation II Wall Connectors and Tesla Destination Chargers to change from Tesla to J-1772 mode." Not following this instruction may well be why some people have reported that the TeslaTap does not work with some destination chargers.

I'll report again after I've used this setup at other locations.

The TeslaTap is manufactured and only available from www.umc-j1772.com or from EBay and Amazon (search for TeslaTap).
There are a few others that are making Tesla to J1772 adapters. Most all of them have purchased the Tesla compatible plug from umc-j1772.com to build them.

All TeslaTap's include a small circuit that makes it fully functional with all UMC, HPWC both Gen I and Gen II, All Destination Chargers, and the new Model 3 compact charger.

Note: The reason that you have to plug it into the tesla charger first and wait 30 seconds is for the internal circuit to activate.

Interesting stuff.
TeslaTap

There is quite a bit of mis-information going around. There are a few Tesla to J1772 adapters being sold and many are not compatible with Gen II Destination chargers.

ALL TeslaTap's have a circuit in them that makes them compatible with all Tesla UMC, HPWC, Destination, AND Model 3 chargers and WILL NOT activate a Superchargers if someone was to plug one into one by accident.

There is only one TeslaTap and it is not sold under any other name. The TeslaTap is available only from www.umc-j1772.com or by searching on EBay or Amazon for TeslaTap.

There is quite a bit of mis-information going around. There are a few Tesla to J1772 adapters being sold and many are not compatible with Gen II Destination chargers.

ALL TeslaTap's have a circuit in them that makes them compatible with all Tesla UMC, HPWC, Destination, AND Model 3 chargers and WILL NOT activate a Superchargers if someone was to plug one into one by accident.

There is only one TeslaTap and it is not sold under any other name. The TeslaTap is available only from www.umc-j1772.com or by searching on EBay or Amazon for TeslaTap.

I can confirm as well that the Adapter sold by quick charge power also has the circuitry and works on the Gen 2. Apparently some earlier versions did not. We are happy with ours and it solved a specific location issue for us.