Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UMC Mains Extension cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The French UMC support page (Prises et câbles de recharge) shows that the charge rate of the Tesla Schuko UMC adapter is less than 16A (3kW = 13A vs 3.7kW = 16A). It appears that the 'domestic' UMC adapters run at 3A less than their plug's maximum rated capacity (Schuko at 13A not 16A; UK at 10A not 13A) whereas the 'industrial' UMC adapters run at their rated capacity (16A at 16A; 32A at 32A). So you might be better with a 16A commando UMC adapter and the Toughleads (or equivalent) commando-Schuko adapter if French domestic sockets can supply 16A.

UMC-fr.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
Ok many thanks for all replies, so I can see I have a few options...

1) schuko adapter for UMC (£32??).
6 metres of cable, true charge rate: 13A

2) schuko to UK adapter from toughleads (£13.99) 6.4 metres and true charge rate: 10A

3) schuko to commando from toughleads (£15.49) plus commando adapter for UMC (£32??) 6.4 metres and true charge rate of 16A.

I presume if French supply cannot give 16A using option 3, It will trip the mains, and then can downrate the Amps from inside the vehicle to pull only 13A?

Any other outcome of using option 3 on a French circuit?

Also (haven’t tried...probably should) does the adapter lock into the UMC whilst charging like a type 2? Or could some hooligan pull the adapter out of the UMC to stop the charge current, release the plug from the charging unit and steal it?

I presume if French supply cannot give 16A using option 3, It will trip the mains, and then can downrate the Amps from inside the vehicle to pull only 13A?

I would first try to check the consumer unit and establish the current rating of the MCB supplying the socket feeding the UMC. If this is less than 16A (which would be surprising) I would manually reduce the charge current in the car, otherwise 16A should be good. Of course any other high current devices on the same circuit (e.g. kettle, plug in electric heater etc) might trip the MCB if they are switched on at the same time the car is charging.

Also (haven’t tried...probably should) does the adapter lock into the UMC whilst charging like a type 2? Or could some hooligan pull the adapter out of the UMC to stop the charge current, release the plug from the charging unit and steal it?

Good question! Why not test it :cool: