Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UMC Mains Extension cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you can wire a plug and remember to unwind the cable in its drum then this seems to be a cover all options approach and cheap as chips compared to the Tesla adapters. If you also get the dry box there's no concern over the plug size.

Tesla European DIY Destination Schuko Charging

I really wouldn't recommend that £12 extension reel - it might just be usable if it's the only thing you can find, but lots of strikes against it:
  • Spec doesn't actually say, but almost certainly 1.25mm² rather than 1.5mm² cable.
  • PVC cable, becomes brittle if used in winter.
  • Sockets are part of the reel housing, really not good for making good contacts/long life.
  • Only 5m long
  • No RCD
Just a little more cost gets you something much better. However, the dribox approach rather than trying to find an enclosed trailing socket does have merit.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
No you need the one with the bigger waterproof case 13A extension lead BMW, Tesla, Nissan & Jaguar compatible (RCD options) as apparently the Tesla plug wont fit in the one you linked to - someone else mentioned this problem too with Masterplug sockets. I also went with inline RCD and the separate circuit tester.

Ok thanks I’m going to order this one late today . Prob about the twentieth extra item I’ve now bought , just need to sort out dashcam storage etc and my shopping list is complete , oh and need a car !!!

• Love
Reactions: Roy W.
I’m going to order

13A extension lead BMW, Tesla, Nissan & Jaguar compatible (RCD options)

But how long is the supplied mains Tesla charger lead as I want to know how long I need to buy the tough leads extension lead ? Eg if Tesla already give u 5 metres to start with I’ll prob get away with needing just another 5m ...

Good question. I don’t know either but picking up tomorrow so unless someone who already has their car answers this I’ll measure it when back home as I also need to order one of these extension cables.

Thanks Vanilla , think I’ll order 5m cable as 11 metres should get me sorted at the places I’m thinking I might need to use standard plug (home if having any Rolec issues / the in laws / our caravan etc )

EDIT - Actually changed my mind as only £3 more to go for 10 meters over 5 meters . Do people have a bag they store this lead in ?

Can see my frunk being full of bags and cables !!

Have just received delivery of our 15m 13A extension cable with IP66 large housing and IP66 inline non latching (stays off in event of power failure) RCD 13A extension lead BMW, Tesla, Nissan & Jaguar compatible (RCD options) PAT tested. Cost about £41 plus shipping. I also ordered a small plug-in circuit tester that can live inside large housing too - the glowing plug in the images. So I get an early indication of any serious issue with mains.

Seems very well built and the H07RN-F cable is very compliant. I doubt it, but outside chance it will prevent house RCD tripping, even if its own RCD trips - first attempt at home UMC charging with a temporary off the shelf extension cable blew house RCD.

May have been useful to have a neon on the socket and possibly an on/off switch too. This is said in light of tripping issues earlier in week when we were not at first sure if we still had power.

20191002_151642917_iOS - Copy.jpg

20191002_151447543_iOS - Copy.jpg 20191002_151609782_iOS - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: interbear
We’ve got a trip to France in the planning stage at the moment. Being an honorary Yorkshireman I’ve made up my own adapters to be able to switch live/neutral polarity.

A couple of rubber Schuko plugs and a couple of rubber sockets (£5.95 delivered from CPC) with a bit of 2.5mm cable I had in my odds & sods drawer :D

A black stripe on one cable denotes reverse polarity.

View attachment 459209

Roy, I guess you’re probably all over this already but I’ve had a polarity checker from many years of motorhoming abroad. You plug it into the supply post prior to connecting the vehicle and it tells you via a series of lights if the polarity is reversed. Can’t take a pic as the RV is in storage. Useful little gadget.

• Helpful
Gen 2 UMC is apparently tolerant to reversed polarity. So no need for a crossover cable. Socket tester is useful though. Even though I already had one, I got a second (the glowing plug above) to keep permanently in the car.

I know in a live-in vehicle capacity, most, if not all connected items would tolerate reverse polarity. The problem arises when there’s a fault to Earth that in certain circumstances means things like casings or the like would remain live with no trips performing as they should.

I’m in no way an expert, I don’t fully understand how a Tesla is wired internally and no confrontation intended with that. Just wondering if the same principles apply.

Last edited:
Has anybody got any experience of using a 2 pin euro plug extension cable with 3 pin adapter uk on the other end? Ie, so the uk umc gen 2 can be plugged in abroad.

I assume the above would be cheaper than buying the Schuko adapter for gen 2 umc from Tesla.

Has anybody got any experience of using a 2 pin euro plug extension cable with 3 pin adapter uk on the other end? Ie, so the uk umc gen 2 can be plugged in abroad.

I assume the above would be cheaper than buying the Schuko adapter for gen 2 umc from Tesla.
Yes, I’ve made up and used such an adapter on a trip to France last December. I made up an adapter lead about two feet long, parts cost me about a fiver.

If you already have a 16A 'commando' adaptor for your Tesla UMC (they were once supplied with the car) then you would be better with something like this: Standalone EV travel adaptors (TESLA gen 2 compatible). Schuko plugs are rated at 16A and this arrangement will let you charge at 16A whereas a Schuko to UK 13A socket will be limited to 10A.

Reactions: Adopado
Yes, I’ve made up and used such an adapter on a trip to France last December. I made up an adapter lead about two feet long, parts cost me about a fiver.

ahh yes I think I’ve read the instructions on how to make one of these up! I just don’t have the necessary tools and wondered if there was an off the shelf solution someone had - seems tough leads dont have such thing. Perhaps I’ll call and ask if they’ll make one up.

If you already have a 16A 'commando' adaptor for your Tesla UMC (they were once supplied with the car) then you would be better with something like this: Standalone EV travel adaptors (TESLA gen 2 compatible). Schuko plugs are rated at 16A and this arrangement will let you charge at 16A whereas a Schuko to UK 13A socket will be limited to 10A.

thanks but no 16A commando in my umc bag sadly. Is there any benefit on using this adapter plus commando, over just getting the schuko umc adapter?

I’ve gone for a Kiwhi card but if we can charge overnight from the French chalet we normally stay at, for free overnight, then that will save a bit of holiday time for us.

• Funny
Reactions: Fly.guy
ahh yes I think I’ve read the instructions on how to make one of these up! I just don’t have the necessary tools and wondered if there was an off the shelf solution someone had - seems tough leads dont have such thing. Perhaps I’ll call and ask if they’ll make one up.
Toughleads do have one, just like I made:

Heavy duty travel adaptors (worldwide options & polarity reversal)

The polarity reversal bit isn’t required as long as you’re using the UMC 3 that came with your Model 3.

thanks but no 16A commando in my umc bag sadly. Is there any benefit on using this adapter plus commando, over just getting the schuko umc adapter?

I’ve gone for a Kiwhi card but if we can charge overnight from the French chalet we normally stay at, for free overnight, then that will save a bit of holiday time for us.

If you don't already have the 16A 'commando' UMC adapter then you would be better (its cheaper) getting the Tesla UMC Schuko adapter, although I don't know if Tesla UK sells them? I would try to avoid any solution that includes a UK plug as you will reduce your maximum charge rate by nearly 40% (10A vs 16A).