Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UMC meets snow blower!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As many are aware, the East coast experienced a significant snow event in the past 48 hours. Last night was no exception in Rhode Island. At 5:30AM I was awakened to the sound of a snow blower starting up. I was not expecting them so early and I had an immediate mental flash of the blower hitting my charge cable. I dashed out of bed, into some clothes and ran down the stairs to intercept it. I unfortunately missed the last step and ended up on the floor on my back....

In spite of my age, I got to my feet in record time and ran to the back door to warn the snow blower off. Too late!...Damage done. Stupid me for not anticipating this earlier.

Result: Yellow warning light when cable plugged into vehicle. The GFI breakers had NOT popped however. My quick look on the TM website confirmed the $650 replacement cost which considerably dampened my spirits on a day when our N.E. Patriots are playing in Denver for the AFC championship.

Since the cable wasn't working anyway, I decided that I might as well open it up to see what was going on. Using an Xacto knife I removed the outer cover in the 4 areas that appeared to have damage. No broken wires except for a small amount of the twisted braid shield wires. I did notice two wires in different places that had very small nicks that showed conductor that might have been exposed to the braid. I insulated these two areas and did a careful inspection of all of the remaining wires.

Wrapped up the four opened areas with duct tape for a temporary bandage....went outside, connected everything up and voila!, car started charging normally....whew!...Now just have to come up with a better bandage given the weather in these parts.

Won't make this mistake again!

Last edited:
At your annual service you are supposed to bring your UMC.
If you are lucky they may determine for other reasons that it needs to be replaced.
But I'd ver very cautious charging in wet weather from now on!

Blower operators have indemnity when they chew up people's electrical cables? I have no experience with these matters...

EDIT: I didn't realize the UMC wasn't plugged in to the car. Assumed they were snowblowing between an electric car and its outlet...

It was plugged into the car and the outlet when he hit it!...luckily no damage to the main power conductors. My fault entirely though....the cable was apparently buried in snow and not that visible to someone that wasn't looking for it...

Wrapped up the four opened areas with duct tape for a temporary bandage....went outside, connected everything up and voila!, car started charging normally....whew!...Now just have to come up with a better bandage given the weather in these parts.

A better bandage would be Gorilla Tape. It is thicker and much stickier than duct tape. Even ordinary electricians tape would be far better than duct tape.

I guess by the end of the day your spirits were really dampened by the outcome of the "significant game event" in Denver, huh?

You betcha!

- - - Updated - - -

Do you live in a condo type development where someone else does all the snow removal, AND your car was parked outside charging? I'm just trying to picture in my mind how the cable got in the way.

Private home with car parked in driveway...Cable running from side of house to the charge port....about 6 feet of the cable rests on the driveway and was covered in snow. Snowblower guy didn't notice it coming out of the car or the house connection....I take the blame...
Gotta get some of that Gorilla Tape a previous poster mentioned.

A better bandage would be Gorilla Tape. It is thicker and much stickier than duct tape. Even ordinary electricians tape would be far better than duct tape.

Electrical tape is vinyl and gets brittle when cold, not meant for exterior applications. . A much better option is this stuff. It self-bonds into a flexible waterproof seal. Also called lineman's tape.

Scotch® Linerless Rubber Splicing Tape 130C

• [*=center]Print

[*=center]Share

scotch-130c-linerless-rubber-splicing-tape-right.jpg

scotch-130c-linerless-rubber-splicing-tape-right.jpg

View Products and Purchase Options
High voltage insulating; thermally dissipating; self-bonding. Primary electrical insulation for splicing all solid dielectric cables through 69kV.