Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UMC "Mobile Connector - Redesigned and back-ordered

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has redesigned the UMC "mobile connector" with some of the same features that are in the second generation HPWC wall connector.

This includes thermal sensors in the plug. We received our first redesigned UMC a few days ago. It has no obvious external markings to identify it as the second-generation unit.

Tesla is back ordered on these units, so if you need a UMC, I would go to the service center and get one.

I had a failure of my UMC connection; the connections melted... but it wasn't the UMC. Or the NEMA 14-50 plug. It was the cutout switch that the local electrical authorities (stupidly IMHO) required be installed before the plug. The electrician apparently hadn't tightened the connections enough.

Safety feature backfire. There's no plausible reason to have a switch for the plug, but there you go.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
The UMC v2 has a temperature probe in the plug.

The Canada NEMA 14-50 plug (adaptor) is UL listed in Canada only, and restricted to 32 amps. You could just buy a US version if you want 40 amps. If Tesla won't sell it to you in Canada, there is at least one other site that will.

I'm not sure what "corded UMC" is. They all have cords. The following list excludes the many Tesla Roadster charging options. The actual names of "HPWC" and "UMC" are from the Roadster, but are frequently used for 2012 and newer Tesla charging products:

1) HPWC - (2012 - 2015) first generation Wall Connector up to 80 amps. Manufacturer may be in Taiwan

2) Wall Connector - (2016 and newer) second generation HPWC up to 80 amps. It has thermal monitoring of the plug, in addition to monitoring of the proximity pin. It can be externally identified as the unit that can store the plug in the side of the unit. Made in Taiwan.

3) UMC - Mobile Connector. Made by Jabil in Mexico

4) Mobile Connector - second generation UMC with thermal protection of the plug. No external identification EXCEPT the actual part number. Made by Jabil in Mexico

Ahh... so it's my adapter that is golden as it allows 40A, theory being that I could move my NEMA 14-50 (yes, thank you for that) adapter over to UMC V2 and I'll get 40A out of it... Good to know. I will never let go of the adapter if for some reason I need a new UMC.

Tesla Corded Mobile Connector:

The Corded Mobile Connector has an integrated 240 volt 50 amp rated plug for high power output. A seamless design provides a low profile connection, allowing for use with covered outdoor outlets.

TESLA PN: 1106293-00-A
  • 1 NEMA-14-50 Corded Mobile Connector (with 20 ft cable)
  • 1 Storage Bag

CordedMobilConnector_14-50_large.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
^Yes that's actually what I meant. Realized much later that I referred to it as a Universal which meant it had various adapters to use with it where as the corded NEMA 14-50 obviously doesn't. Are the sensors in the plug or in the adapter itself?

I've seen a number of owners' garage photos with the corded version used. Lower profile to the wall, assume less stress on the cord/connector portion, would be kind of like a permanent installation for us. We'd like to keep the UMC in our car and don't want to be pulling it out every night when we charge and then repacking in the morning. The corded version is about the same price as the universal.

Yes, we've had a few of those. Not worth the small savings to me, but for people with exactly one mission at one location, it is probably ok.

Tesla Corded Mobile Connector:

The Corded Mobile Connector has an integrated 240 volt 50 amp rated plug for high power output. A seamless design provides a low profile connection, allowing for use with covered outdoor outlets.

TESLA PN: 1106293-00-A
  • 1 NEMA-14-50 Corded Mobile Connector (with 20 ft cable)
  • 1 Storage Bag

CordedMobilConnector_14-50_large.jpg

Interesting. My UMC died on a road trip in March and I had it replaced at the Tigard OR service center under warranty (after they tested everything and verified that it was truly dead). I presume that the replacement was the older version; the part number on the order was 1058221-01-F

The one we had the other day ended in 101G, if I recall correctly.

The one we had the other day ended in 101G, if I recall correctly.
Makes sense, the Tesla shopping site lists 1025821-00-G for the Mobile Connector bundle.

Since you have been buying these for a long time, have the ones you've bought in the last year all had the new style handles (with the sealed button, rather than the old kind of button)? My 2014 UMC handle had the old button and the March replacement had the new button, much like the ones they are now using on new Supercharger cables.

Tony, still not clear on where in the UMC the thermal sensors are located. The end that fits into the various adapters, or maybe further down the UMC in the part with the charging lights, or at the car charging end.

Last edited:
Makes sense, the Tesla shopping site lists 1025821-00-G for the Mobile Connector bundle.

Since you have been buying these for a long time, have the ones you've bought in the last year all had the new style handles (with the sealed button, rather than the old kind of button)? My 2014 UMC handle had the old button and the March replacement had the new button, much like the ones they are now using on new Supercharger cables.

Yes, for at least the last year (maybe more), they have all had the sealed button on the top of the plug.

Tony, still not clear on where in the UMC the thermal sensors are located. The end that fits into the various adapters, or maybe further down the UMC in the part with the charging lights, or at the car charging end.

Both ends should have temperature sensors. There are physical wires for the sensors in the cable. The "adapter" plug (like the NEMA 14-50) does not have a sensor.

It will be interesting to see if these new units will still drop the charge rate 25% from 40 amps to 30 amps when it detects the change in frequency that is supposed to mean things are heating up.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
The UMC v2 has a temperature probe in the plug.

The Canada NEMA 14-50 plug (adaptor) is UL listed in Canada only, and restricted to 32 amps. You could just buy a US version if you want 40 amps. If Tesla won't sell it to you in Canada, there is at least one other site that will.

I'm not sure what "corded UMC" is. They all have cords. The following list excludes the many Tesla Roadster charging options. The actual names of "HPWC" and "UMC" are from the Roadster, but are frequently used for 2012 and newer Tesla charging products:

1) HPWC - (2012 - 2015) first generation Wall Connector up to 80 amps. Manufacturer may be in Taiwan

2) Wall Connector - (2016 and newer) second generation HPWC up to 80 amps. It has thermal monitoring of the plug, in addition to monitoring of the proximity pin. It can be externally identified as the unit that can store the plug in the side of the unit. Made in Taiwan.

3) UMC - Mobile Connector. Made by Jabil in Mexico

4) Mobile Connector - second generation UMC with thermal protection of the plug. No external identification EXCEPT the actual part number. Made by Jabil in Mexico
How do you know Jabil makes it?