Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UMC - outdoor cabinet solutions ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AustinP

Apr 6, 2015
Belgium
I recently had my UMC replaced by the SC (free, thanks Tesla), as it would not open the charge port anymore (6 months old)
Having a look at it, the SC service agent told me the cable was filled with water and wondering.
As I told I leave the UMC always plugged in outside (not on the ground, hanging), it is indeed subject to rain and bad weather.
He confirmed the UMC was supposed to be resistent enough to withstand this, but still recommended I put some cabinet around it.

So, I'm looking at solutions. What's yours ? Thanks for the help! :smile:

If this question has already been asked & discussed in other threads, I could not find them. Don't hesitate to correct me and point me in the right thread.

My case is somewhat different because the receptacle is inside and only the car connection is outside. When unplugged, it's all inside. If it's all outside, the best case is to get an HPWC or Clipper Creek EVSE. Mostly the UMC is for non-inclement weather charging as there are several warnings in the users guide about rain and snow.
UMC_water.png

Last edited:
Can anyone provide details on the mounting instructions, size, cable openings, etc., for the HPWC? When I look on the Tesla web site, it says that detailed instructions come with it. But I'd like to show my electrician in advance to help him estimate installation cost and help me decide if I want one or to go a different route.
Thanks!

Then I'd need to mount and protect both the 14-50 receptacle and the HPWC plus its cable. I am not sure how I would mount the outlet or connector but I was thinking of using a wooden post, with an electrical box fastened to it. If I had an outlet plus the HPWC, I would be concerned about how large a post I would need to install to support all this. I do not want anything too wide because it will be difficult to support, or too high to be convenient.

Can anyone provide details on the mounting instructions, size, cable openings, etc., for the HPWC? When I look on the Tesla web site, it says that detailed instructions come with it. But I'd like to show my electrician in advance to help him estimate installation cost and help me decide if I want one or to go a different route.
Thanks!

It’s on Tesla’s website at the bottom of this page about Model S charging. They have instruction pdf files for the 14-50 install and the HPWC install.

Tesla Charging | Tesla Motors