Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UMC overcharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
The car does this for some reason. I suspect it’s some sort of predictive algorithm that determines how much to overcharge to ensure you have the set charge the next day. It appears to change from time to time for whatever reason, sometimes my car is stops right at the limit, other times it charges a percent or two past. Sometimes it will use that extra percent or two by the next morning since the car can stay awake for hours after charging in some situations. Either way, it’s not too big of a deal. Based on all available evidence, the battery is more likely to have an internal failure that renders it useless before the degradation is bad enough to warrant replacement charging to even 80-90%.

Why? Based on studies of the cathodes in high nickel content lithium batteries, it's possibly harmful to charge higher over time. Model 3 batteries probably have cathode nickel ratios greater than 0.8.

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/acsenergylett.9b00733

Is there any difference in line input voltage between the places you charge at, @minsup23?
Read the many threads of people who charge to 70% and below all the time and the apparent degradation that they get.

And sure, there's a LOT of difference in line voltages between charging locations. That's expected, 100+ to 400++.

Read the many threads of people who charge to 70% and below all the time and the apparent degradation that they get.

For Model 3's or Model S/X? Model S/X are supposed to have nickel cathodes at or below 0.8 ratios, so charging above 60% is inconsequential according to that study.

The BMS not balancing the cells, which is what you're referring to, is not degradation either, degradation is a chemical and mechanical process.
Balance issues can be solved with the occasional deep discharge, full charge cycle.
Actual degradation can never be fixed.

And sure, there's a LOT of difference in line voltages between charging locations. That's expected, 100+ to 400++.

You misunderstood my question on voltage, it wasn't directed at you.

I was asking the OP about line voltage they use at the two locations they charge at, perhaps if there is a correlation between "overcharging" past their set limit and what line voltage is used, that might explain a possible cause.