TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

UMC repair possible?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Electricfan, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Electricfan

Electricfan Member

My UMC died last night. It has been plugged in to the wall outlet in my garage since August 2013. Last night when I plugged it in it worked for 10 minutes or so, then I got a message that charging was interrupted. Unplug and replug did no good.

I plugged in my new car's UMC and charged up fine.

Recommendations? A new one is $650 so a $200 repair bill would certainly be acceptable. But I don't know where to take it.

Two and a half year life is pretty poor quality in my opinion. I'm a little disappointed and not looking forward to replacing these things every 2-3 years. Hopefully I just got a bad one.

2. mrElbe

mrElbe Member

Did you order the UMC with the car at the time? If yes, then the UMC has the same 4 year / 50k miles warranty as the car.

3. Electricfan

Electricfan Member

Update: came home from work and plugged the old UMC in and it worked. I set the amps to 40 and let it charge for 15 minutes to test, and it did fine.

I hope I just didn't push hard enough when I plugged in last night. We'll see if it charges overnight tonight.

4. Ingineer

Ingineer Electrical Engineer

Unfortunately the UMC is sealed, so the only way to take it apart is destructively.

• Helpful x 1
  5. William13

William13 Member

My UMC became poorly operating six months ago. It requires a torque to charge. Replacing the UMC will cost me time and money. I get by and check to make sure adequate charging occurs.

• Helpful x 1
  6. Electricfan

Electricfan Member

By torque, you mean you have to twist it?

7. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Almost the exact same thing happened to me last night (see my other thread: Charging Failure: Firmware Issue, UMC Problem, Charger, or Something Else?).

A week or two ago I also saw some weirdness while I was preheating the car and started charging while doing so...car said to check the charge cable...but then it was fine after that, up until last night.

Wondering if maybe this is a software/firmware issue instead? I'll be charging with my other UMC tonight, but will switch back to my first one Friday night to see if I can clearly correlate that one UMC to the issue.

8. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

the umc doesnt last. It probably was not designed for daily charging. Forget buying a new one. Get a HPWC that will last you years instead. If you car is still under warranty, the good folks at Tesla will trade out your UMC free.

This is a huge reminder to everyone to take their UMC to the service center while under warranty at regular intervals for a check up

9. Electricfan

Electricfan Member

I called them to see if it was covered. But my situation is a little unusual in that I bought this UMC when I got my first car in 2013 (giving me two - one for the garage and one to stay in the car). But I traded that car in and got an autopilot version in 2015, so this UMC actually came with the 2013 vehicle and has been plugged in to my garage since then. Tesla has not answered me yet. The car charged fine all night last night on the old 2013 UMC. I have never cleaned it, so maybe its getting dirty.

10. Electricfan

Electricfan Member

I guess there could be a software issue. But I admit I think I had trouble plugging my cable in the night it failed. Dirt maybe? I need to get a clean cloth and wipe the port and plug off, which I've never done. I've never had a problem before. But it could be the UMC failing or a software issue - time will tell I suppose.

11. Electricfan

Electricfan Member

I think that's good advice - getting the service center to check it. I think they surely check it during the annual service don't they? Anyway, I can't imagine its not built for daily charging. Also, have you had a UMC fail on you?

12. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Could be a cleaning issue with me too.

Otherwise the status lights say it's good to go.

13. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

My SC checks my UMC every time I have the car in, whether for annual service, warranty fixes, or tire rotations. Obviously, they can only do this if you actually have it in the car, so if you normally leave it at home, pack it up when you go in for service.

14. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

yes, my umc did fail. The failure was from melting at the adapter (NEMA) site. Honestly, I didn't always take my UMC in to the service center with every visit (left it at home). Now I remind my friends to always take it in on every visit. I had a 2012 build, so it may be more durable nowadays. The melting at the adapter insertion site is apparently common (per the SC tech, who found the issue in less than 5 seconds)

Also, don't forget that there is a reset button on the UMC. Try resetting the UMC and see if that helps.

15. freeewilly

freeewilly Member

Tesla SC checks UMC during visit, you should take it in next time.

16. Electric700

Electric700 Member

Tesla is working on changing that. After they replaced mine due to a failure, they told me the failed one was sent back for review and also to improve the next UMC generation. I think it's worth Tesla's while for both lowering their own replacement and troubleshooting costs + owner satisfaction.