Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UMC Tug-of-War; Could it be SW Release 5.9 (1.51.109)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Software was updated to 1.51.109 yesterday and this morning I found myself in a tug-of-war with the UMC (somewhat amusing, actually). Car was unlocked, handles presented and went to remove UMC. Touched the button and the charging indicator ring turned white and unlocked, for a moment, and then immediately back to green and locked. Tried again and again, same result each time - clicking to white only for a moment then back to green before I could remove the UMC. To an observer, I'm sure the tussle would have looked hilarious. Finally, I just had to be quicker than the car and pulled on the UMC for that split second it remained white.

Has anyone else seen this behavior with the charge port and could it have something to do with the latest update of 5.9? Thanks!

I have a new car that came with 5.9. I noticed some odd behavior similar to this where I pressed the button and it flickered from green to white to blue and back to green. I found if I hold down the button, the ring turns white and I can pull it out every time. I just assumed this was how it was supposed to work.

I also noticed this change in 5.9 (and now 5.11).
I believe prior to 5.9 you could EITHER press the button briefly then release OR press and hold the button to activate the release mechanism (white ring).
Now you HAVE to press and hold to make it work.

I would rather have a UMC tug o war than a UMC shove o war with it.

We are now on our third UMC. The first one wouldn't latch and had slightly melted. The second one lasted about 2.5 months. It started the light and click show not latching. The week before taking our car and UMC into the service center I was spending up to 15 minutes trying to get it to latch each time.

The last two days ( before my latest service center visit) I figured out that if I fed the UMC under the front of the rear tire, up behind it and plugged it in. I could then put tension on the cable and pull tight from the front of the tire and it would latch and charge fine on the first click.

I have a new car that came with 5.9. I noticed some odd behavior similar to this where I pressed the button and it flickered from green to white to blue and back to green. I found if I hold down the button, the ring turns white and I can pull it out every time. I just assumed this was how it was supposed to work.

Same here.

Interesting. It was never mentioned that there was a changed to the way that the cord was unplugged with 5.9. That explains A LOT!!!! I have had a lot of issues with my HPWC and superchargers not releasing. I always just press the button and then release and pull. It always left it unlocked. This DEFINITELY should have been documented... Tesla FAIL.

I just updated to 5.9.1.51.109 and had this issue last night but with my HPWC. I will say I had similar issues before the update but this time it wouldn't give in, I had to reach in the car and hit the charge port button for it to unlock then when I got it out the ring turned red.

Interesting. It was never mentioned that there was a changed to the way that the cord was unplugged with 5.9. That explains A LOT!!!! I have had a lot of issues with my HPWC and superchargers not releasing. I always just press the button and then release and pull. It always left it unlocked. This DEFINITELY should have been documented... Tesla FAIL.

That hasn't worked for me. I've always held the button down while I pull it out. I don't have the documentation handy but I think that's what it says. I know when it didn't come out once the service center asked if I was holding the button down as I was pulling.

This isnt a 5.9 thing.... I took delivery of my car in November and this is how they showed us how to removed the from car. Hold the button down the entire time until it's out of the port, then release the button.

Thank you everyone for the responses. I have had my Tesla for nearly a year and removing the UMC every morning had become 2nd nature. Thus, when I experienced the tug of war, it definitely caught my attention as different behavior. Pressing and holding the button makes sense, and for those who have always done it that way, I imagine it would seem strange to have read my story. So I took a quick look at the Owner's Manual for SW ver. 5.0 and then 5.9 and here is what I found (copied and pasted):

v5.0: "Press the button on a Tesla connector to release the latch"
v5.9 (dated 6/2/2014): "Press and hold the button on a Tesla connector to release the latch."

So it seems something has indeed changed and maybe I am not crazy afterall (at least not that much). I don't mind learning new behavior, but agree with previous posters that this change could have been better communicated.

A NEW observation: I also noticed last night that when I release the charge port door with the UMC button, the door opens right away, but the UMC connector latch does not unlock as fast as it used. It seems I now have to wait a few seconds before it finally releases and then I can insert the connector (definitely a longer delay vs. before). Anyone else notice this, or am I being crazy again?

Thank you everyone for the responses. I have had my Tesla for nearly a year and removing the UMC every morning had become 2nd nature. Thus, when I experienced the tug of war, it definitely caught my attention as different behavior. Pressing and holding the button makes sense, and for those who have always done it that way, I imagine it would seem strange to have read my story. So I took a quick look at the Owner's Manual for SW ver. 5.0 and then 5.9 and here is what I found (copied and pasted):

v5.0: "Press the button on a Tesla connector to release the latch"
v5.9 (dated 6/2/2014): "Press and hold the button on a Tesla connector to release the latch."

So it seems something has indeed changed and maybe I am not crazy afterall (at least not that much). I don't mind learning new behavior, but agree with previous posters that this change could have been better communicated.

A NEW observation: I also noticed last night that when I release the charge port door with the UMC button, the door opens right away, but the UMC connector latch does not unlock as fast as it used. It seems I now have to wait a few seconds before it finally releases and then I can insert the connector (definitely a longer delay vs. before). Anyone else notice this, or am I being crazy again?
It funny I just figure out out that I now needed to hold the button down yesterday. I thought the button was getting flaky or something, but yesterday I held the button until the unlock click and it worked perfectly every time. That is not how it used to work.

The door opening delay is also very noticeable. I've been having issues with the door not opening for a while now (not big enough of a deal to take it in). Sometimes it would not unlock after pressing the button several times. I'd have to tap on the charge door a few times and try again, and again. Other times it would open immediately. I think now when it does work, it's just on a 3 second delay or something. Maybe it's now press and hold for opening as well as releasing, but there is a 3 seconds delay? I'll try that when I get home. When I first got the car just pressing the UMC button once opened the port every time, pretty much immediately.

I have 5.9 and don't hold the button down till it's removed, and never have. I press firmly and maybe hold it for a split second I guess, but release it before it's unlocked and.....usually that's cool.

Once in a while, I have to do this twice. Rarely, but often enough that I've noticed, I guess. But press-and-hold-the-entire-time - definitely not required for my 16-month-old Model S with 5.9.

I have 5.9 and don't hold the button down till it's removed, and never have. I press firmly and maybe hold it for a split second I guess, but release it before it's unlocked and.....usually that's cool.

Once in a while, I have to do this twice. Rarely, but often enough that I've noticed, I guess. But press-and-hold-the-entire-time - definitely not required for my 16-month-old Model S with 5.9.

I'm with you: as long as the car is unlocked, a single momentary press of the button has always unlocked my UMC...unless it doesn't. But doing it this way results in two extra activations of the lock mechanism (three in total) over the period of a second or so, while if I press and hold the button there is only the one 'unlock' click. Since it seems like a small effort to go to to save significant wear and tear on the mechanism, I now usually opt to press and hold the button.

I'm with you: as long as the car is unlocked, a single momentary press of the button has always unlocked my UMC...unless it doesn't. But doing it this way results in two extra activations of the lock mechanism (three in total) over the period of a second or so, while if I press and hold the button there is only the one 'unlock' click. Since it seems like a small effort to go to to save significant wear and tear on the mechanism, I now usually opt to press and hold the button.

Oh, I thought the clickety-click-click was just how the mechanism sounded...wasn't aware it was anything extra going on. It seems like a poor design since it still winds up unlocking it (actually I'm surprised holding it down doesn't make it do the extra dance). I'll try that out, thanks...if I can remember to do this (retraining myself = uphill battle ;-) ).

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. Actually I'm kinda surprised it works at all, if it's really relocking/unlocking an extra time. Weird.