Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UMC Voucher and delivery question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My neighbor is picking up a new Y on Tues, yesterday he gets the Voucher for the UMC. So he asked me what he needs or should do with it. Considering he'll need the UMC to charge his new Y as soon as he gets home as it is a 162-mile drive from the delivery center in Bloomington IL to his home and he has a golf tournament to attend the next morning. Worse case I can let him charge it on my Wall Connector but that's a temp fix.

I couldn't answer his questions, so hopefully, someone here can help:

1. Will the UMC be in the car at delivery and the SC accepts the Voucher
2. He needs to go to the Tesla Store ASAP and buy/order one

What are his options?

He's had a rough Tesla experience so far and is stressed out big time. Given I ordered mine before the change over my UMC was in the car.

Thanks in advance

I believe that the purchaser of a Tesla vehicle can use the $200 US voucher to order either the Tesla Mobile Connector kit (current price $200 US) or put the voucher towards the purchase of the Tesla Wall Connector (currently priced at $400 US) from the Tesla online store.

What are the local Supercharger options?

Reactions: MrsWinterWheat
Can he use the Voucher at time of delivery and drive off with one from the Delivery Center?

Yes, we have a SuperCharger within 12 miles from our home. So yes that’s an option.
Unknown; perhaps if the Service/Delivery center as available Mobile Connector units.

Just make sure that they have a valid credit card added to their Tesla account and they can use the Supercharger network right away, that is until they receive the Mobile Connector (it will probably take much longer to, once received, to install the Wall Connector.)

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
My neighbor is picking up a new Y on Tues,
Huh, us too. I also got the email of the voucher and haven't decided what to do with it. We currently already have one Tesla. I have the Gen1 UMC that we use right now, and I have an older but new in box Gen3 wall connector in my garage that I haven't installed yet. Rather than a second mobile connector, it's sounding interesting to me that getting $200 off another wall connector might be a good motivation to have two and get switched over to those two wall connectors sharing my 50A circuit.

The issue is he ordered his LR Y back in Oct 2021 when it was included, so now the question is why did he receive the voucher? We thought older orders still got the UMC from the factory. So he doesn’t know if he should buy a UMC are apply it to a Wall Connector.

Tesla needs to do a better job of communication.

The issue is he ordered his LR Y back in Oct 2021 when it was included, so now the question is why did he receive the voucher? We thought older orders still got the UMC from the factory.
I guess Tesla doesn't see it as any different (and neither do I) of either including the physical item or just saying "Here's the voucher to get it." And a generic voucher is more flexible so you could get the expected item or have the choice of getting something different. I thought the real objections were more about whether it was "included" or people would have to pay extra to get it, and this isn't making people pay extra to get it.

Reactions: MrsWinterWheat
I guess Tesla doesn't see it as any different (and neither do I) of either including the physical item or just saying "Here's the voucher to get it." And a generic voucher is more flexible so you could get the expected item or have the choice of getting something different. I thought the real objections were more about whether it was "included" or people would have to pay extra to get it, and this isn't making people pay extra to get it.
True, I just have to calm him down, as I said his purchasing experience so far has been a PITA and he's freaking out. I'll buy him a beer.

Reactions: pilotSteve
There was some discussion on this in one of the delivery threads and apparently, and maybe service center dependent, not routinely provided with the vehicle at delivery, even for the previously promised pre-April orders. I got a voucher on Thursday for my January ordered MYLR and bought a UMC from the website on Friday. I have a tracking # (UPS) but it’s not showing up on the system yet. My pick up, 70 miles away is on 9/10. If the UMC hasn’t arrived by then, I’m just going to keep my current one for my Model S trade in.

Its a bit of a ball drop on the part of Tesla as a lot of people (like me) use the UMC for home charging, live some distance away from the service center and it seems in many cases, battery isn’t fully charged at pick up.

Interesting tidbit, BITD, the UMC was $1500.

There was some discussion on this in one of the delivery threads and apparently, and maybe service center dependent, not routinely provided with the vehicle at delivery, even for the previously promised pre-April orders. I got a voucher on Thursday for my January ordered MYLR and bought a UMC from the website on Friday. I have a tracking # (UPS) but it’s not showing up on the system yet. My pick up, 70 miles away is on 9/10. If the UMC hasn’t arrived by then, I’m just going to keep my current one for my Model S trade in.

Its a bit of a ball drop on the part of Tesla as a lot of people (like me) use the UMC for home charging, live some distance away from the service center and it seems in many cases, battery isn’t fully charged at pick up.

Interesting tidbit, BITD, the UMC was $1500.
If you are trading your Model S to Tesla they won't care about the missing UMC.

Reactions: Plug Me In
How far back in the day are you talking about? I ordered in the beginning of 2014, and it was still no where near close to $1500. Are you thinking of the wall connector, not the UMC?
Maybe so. I've replaced the UMC 3 times over the years and I seem to remember seeing the $1500 for one of them but looking back at my service records everything was free under warranty. so no prices recorded.Maybe the HPWC cost fixed in my brain for the UMC.

My buddy took delivery 5 hours ago in Bloomington IL, no UMC in car, SA said he’d sell him one, my friend said great I have the voucher, SA said we can’t accept the voucher. So he bought one. He’d going to use the voucher on a second UMC.