TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

UMC waterproof?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by jlucero, Oct 24, 2015.

1. jlucero

jlucero Member

is the regular UMC waterproof? i am charging to a 110V cable at my parents house, and car has to sit outdoors and its scheduled to rain all weekend. the end that will connect to the car can be subjected to water i believe, like in superchargers, but can that middle Tesla box thing, can that thing be subjected to rain? i will have it attached to an extension cord, and the the charger end will be indoors inside a garage. so only the middle tesla black box and the end that attaches to the tesla will be outdoors.

http://d2odvx3v4cbpyu.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Tesla-Charger-UMC.jpg

2. Electric700

Electric700 Member

It will work, but you should keep the wall adapter portion and status display under the car so they will not be in direct contact with rain. You don't want any water causing an electrical short. You may want to get a 12 AWG cable to connect to the 120 V adapter/house outlet, or use electrical tape to seal the adapter that plugs in to the wall outlet.

The connector to the car's charge port should be fine even if it's exposed to rain. When done charging, store the cable in the trunk.

3. shelbri

shelbri Member

It is rated for outdoor use. I have used mine outdoors at ski home all last winter in snow and ice. No problem.

4. LetsGoFast

LetsGoFast Active Member

There have been many previous threads on this subject and the general consensus is that you can safely charge outside so long as the box is not in standing water. I have seen many HPWC boxes mounted outdoors where they are exposed to all kinds of weather and those seem much more vulnerable than the UMC box. The part that you'd want to be very careful with is the actual plug end, especially with 14-50 connections.

5. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

It's not "water-proof" but rather "weather-resistant". Don't stick it in a bucket of water, it's not recommended.

6. LetsGoFast

LetsGoFast Active Member

Flasher, is the box itself equipped with GFCI? That would ensure that the worst case is not so terrible. I'd assume it must be, but I don't actually know.

7. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Yes, NEC art 625 requires the 30 mA GFI protection to be a part of the EVSE, and if cord-and-plug connected the unprotected part is limited to 12 inches or less. That said, the "north end" of the UMC is unprotected (the connection to the adapter and outlet).

8. mgboyes

mgboyes Member

I believe it is IP44 rated. The design is intentional so that if you plug it into a wall outlet the "lump" hangs off the ground, so can't ever be left sitting in a puddle of standing water.

9. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

The UMC Users Guide is ambiguous. Some of the warnings say you shouldn't let it get wet, but one talks about a precaution for use in the rain:

10-28-2015 9-19-40 AM.jpg 10-28-2015 9-19-18 AM.jpg 10-28-2015 9-18-22 AM.jpg

10. jlucero

jlucero Member

hmmm interesting. are the superchargers different? cause they get wet all the time of course.

11. Screwbal

Screwbal Member

Just get one of the 12-18 inch heavy duty gfi extensions and put it in the wall and the umc after that to be safe. Had one for my old volt when I would do 110 charging wet or dry.

12. shelbri

shelbri Member

13. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

14. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

For sure. Lots of folks have used their UMCs outdoors in rain, snow, you name it. The issue, though, does come down to liability if something untoward should happen. The "weasel words" in the guide would offer Tesla some protection.