TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

UMC Wiring

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by W.Petefish, Aug 30, 2011.

1. suxxer

suxxer ElektroVolt

Just take a look at the pics. The charging current runs between HOT1 and HOT2 (from TEG's image above). Neutral is used as Pilot and Ground is used as Ground.

2. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

Unfortunately, Tesla are out-of-stock of the adapters that I need. So, I considered ordering some California Connectors but they're really expensive!

I feel a minor bodge coming along involving some 14-50 trailing sockets, off-the-shelf 5-15, 6-15 & 10-30 cords and careful use of the VDS current limit.

3. donauker

donauker Member

I built all my own adapters for the RFMC about two years ago. This was the place with the best prices for the California connectors that I found at that time. At $37.95 it was about a third of some of the prices I found.

http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=16633

4. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

Thanks... The game is afoot...

5. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

By the way, bit of trivia:
    appliance info

6. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

That's funny; war seems to be the only catalyst for change!

7. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

This weekend I made up some cables (would have preferred the Tesla ones but, still). I made 5-15/20, 6-15/20, 10-30 & duplex 5-15 to go with the existing 14-50/30 (a trick donauker taught me).

I tried the diode and found:

wht-green open: 12,15A
    Diode (cathode to wht): 16A
    Diode (cathode to grn): 24A
    wht-green closed: 40A

I used this in my adapters to limit max current though I did see that voltage doesn't play a part and that the UMC was happy to set up [email protected] I tried a couple of zener diodes, 5.1V and 12V but they made no difference.

I also found out why the outlet on the front of my house doesn't work; they've transposed hot/ground on the 120v outlet; car reports the error. Same is true for the UMC, at 120v, the grounded wire has to go to YYY. Nice.

8. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Are you talking about the "find the two phases to get 240V from 2 120V outlets" trick?

Like one of these? :
    220 240 Volts from 110 120 Volt Outlets - Catalog & Pricing

If so, you ought to have safety relays so that the 2nd plug can't be energized while you are fishing around for an outlet with the other phase.
    (Possible safety hazard if done wrong.)

9. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Do you have one of those simple outlet testers that can find mis-wired outlets easily?
    41ruIGVdvcL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

10. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

Yeah, everyone is split-phase these days; I like the tester; "Hot Ground Reverse" - Holy crap!

11. W.Petefish

W.Petefish Active Member

What diode did you use?

12. S-2000 Roadster

...and does the diode need to be a Zener?

For that matter, aren't Zener diodes marked with the cathode and anode in reverse? Typically, a Zener allows current to flow in both directions, but the reverse breakdown voltage is the one that's used for effect, while the normal forward voltage is not utilized.

I would suspect that a simple diode is what is needed in the charging cables, and you may just be lucky that a Zener works at all. i.e. a really low voltage Zener might confuse the charger because it allows current in both directions. Anyway, Don already mentioned that some of the chargers use a regular non-zener diode.

13. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

1N4001 but any cheap silicon diode would work. The zener diode that I had didn't operate any differently.

14. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

No. The polarity mark is always on the cathode, regardless of the diode type.

15. suxxer

suxxer ElektroVolt

Great. Now we have the SWISS and US specs. I'm pretty sure that TM could adjust the firmware of the UMC to set the charging current for each case.

16. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

What I'd like to know is, do the Tesla adapters contain additional configurations to enable 20A and 30A operation?

17. suxxer

suxxer ElektroVolt

According to the Homepage, the UMC should be able to accept:
    15A
    20A
    30A
    50A
    (again 4 choices as the UMC accepts 4 modes (open, short, diode up, diode down))

[​IMG]

@MPT: You measured out a US-UMC, right?

18. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

But, when connected to a L14-30 for example, does the UMC present 24A to the car (one of its defaults) or the full 30A?

The car understands the 30A pilot signal; I was charging last night from a Chargepoint station at exactly 30A.

19. Slackjaw

Slackjaw Member

Not sure if this answers your question but I have the L14-30 adapter and my car only drew 24A from a line which could almost certainly have supplied more, when I was between laps at the Raceway Park road track (over here).

20. donauker

donauker Member

#80 donauker, Sep 14, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
    The NEC code only allows usage of 80% of breaker value. So the results are as expected.

15A = 12A
    20A = 16A
    30A = 24A
    50A = 40A