TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Ummm... My car won't turn on.

Discussion in 'Model X' started by SSD420, Sep 25, 2016.

1. SSD420

SSD420 Member

image.jpeg
    I get this message which won't go away.

2. SSD420

SSD420 Member

I have since gotten to here. But my 17 inch screen won't power on. ..

Attached Files:

3. SSD420

SSD420 Member

Anyone ever experience this??

4. SMSMD

SMSMD Member

Try rebooting. i.e..hold down both the scroll buttons on the left and right hand side of the steering wheel.

• Helpful x 1
  5. SSD420

SSD420 Member

Yes. I tried that. Nothing. I'm going to wait a bit. It's kinda cold where I am (up north). I just unplugged the car, and was gonna go for a drive but never experienced this before.

6. Ciaopec

Ciaopec Member

...and in another thread someone suggested an even "deeper" reboot by also holding down the brake pedal while holding both scroll buttons. I DO NOT KNOW if this actually works; I'm just the messenger. At this juncture you don't have much to lose so sing "O, Canada" while you're at it.o_O

7. BQst

BQst Member

Never seen that myself, but try also rebooting the dash computer by holding both buttons above the scroll buttons?

-Ben

8. SSD420

SSD420 Member

My MX has since turned on. At first the temperature showed as --- and my dash was blank. A few min later my internet radio kicked on and heard the news.

Seems fine now. That was kinda scary. But I guess that's how my weekend has been so far. Had a little run in with a wolf yesterday too. Thankfully he was scared of my Model X and my dogs were safely locked in the cottage.

So far so good. I guess I'm not going to venture off too far tonight, just in case.

I've never had the car take so long to power up. Have any of you?

Yesterday / last month (the last time I drove) it dropped down to 1 degree Celsius. Could the temperature have been the problem? It was merely plugged into my NEMA 14-50 plug outside of my cottage.

• Like x 1
  9. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Active Member

Since the instrument cluster is on, the 17" display is out and some of the data that comes from the Center MCU is blanked out (like temp, etc.) it looks like the main display/MCU needs to be rebooted.

Did you hold down both scroll wheels for a long time? Like at least 20 or 30 seconds?

Mike

EDIT: I don't think temperature is an issue. Teslas have operated at extreme temps for many years now.

10. SMSMD

SMSMD Member

You can power off and restart. .under settings , E-brake and power off.
    You can power off and restart using the brake. ..

• Informative x 1
  11. SSD420

SSD420 Member

Before i posted to TMC, I had tried holding the scroll buttons to reset to no avail. But after @SMSMD commented, I held the bottoms even longer (I can't remember if I had my foot on the brake or not) and it worked but took about a minute to finally show the Tesla Logo and power up

12. SSD420

SSD420 Member

But if I can't get to settings because my screen was black, that doesn't help.

• Helpful x 1
  13. SSD420

SSD420 Member

Crisis averted! It's on. It works. And I'm driving. (Pulled over to type this, as the roads up here are too windy to use AP).

• Like x 1
  14. SMSMD

SMSMD Member

Good to know it's all back on. I will leave it plugged to keep the battery pack warm.

15. SSD420

SSD420 Member

Do I ever have to question the weather being a factor? Winter is coming (singing game of thrones theme song in my head). Temperatures will drop up to to -30 degrees Celsius. Will this be a concern? I've only had a Tesla for 2 ½ months.

16. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

another dead 12v battery issue?

17. SMSMD

SMSMD Member

Sorry dint think about the black screen , was trying to find a fast solution. Good luck.

18. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

extreme cold weather will affect its real world range significantly. Always charge extra with a big margin of safety to get from point a to b.

19. SSD420

SSD420 Member

Does that do anything? I thought when it finishes charging it no longer takes any juice, hence the phantom drain...

The mistake I do keep making though is that I should be heating my car while it's still plugged in. Its frigging cold in here! My heated seat is on, but every time it gets really warm it seems to shut off. Yet another question for TMC; is this normal? Or anlther thing to add to my "list" for the SC next week?

20. SSD420

SSD420 Member

I already charge to 90% so how much extra can I charge? Or do you mean just more pit stops throughout my day to get smaller top up charges?

21. SSD420

SSD420 Member

No worries dude. I always appreciate the help. Hence why I immediately posted to TMC before doing anything else