Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ummm... My car won't turn on.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
image.jpeg

I get this message which won't go away.

Try rebooting. i.e..hold down both the scroll buttons on the left and right hand side of the steering wheel.

...and in another thread someone suggested an even "deeper" reboot by also holding down the brake pedal while holding both scroll buttons. I DO NOT KNOW if this actually works; I'm just the messenger. At this juncture you don't have much to lose so sing "O, Canada" while you're at it.o_O

My MX has since turned on. At first the temperature showed as --- and my dash was blank. A few min later my internet radio kicked on and heard the news.

Seems fine now. That was kinda scary. But I guess that's how my weekend has been so far. Had a little run in with a wolf yesterday too. Thankfully he was scared of my Model X and my dogs were safely locked in the cottage.

So far so good. I guess I'm not going to venture off too far tonight, just in case.

I've never had the car take so long to power up. Have any of you?

Yesterday / last month (the last time I drove) it dropped down to 1 degree Celsius. Could the temperature have been the problem? It was merely plugged into my NEMA 14-50 plug outside of my cottage.

Reactions: Ciaopec
Since the instrument cluster is on, the 17" display is out and some of the data that comes from the Center MCU is blanked out (like temp, etc.) it looks like the main display/MCU needs to be rebooted.

Did you hold down both scroll wheels for a long time? Like at least 20 or 30 seconds?

Mike

EDIT: I don't think temperature is an issue. Teslas have operated at extreme temps for many years now.

Before i posted to TMC, I had tried holding the scroll buttons to reset to no avail. But after @SMSMD commented, I held the bottoms even longer (I can't remember if I had my foot on the brake or not) and it worked but took about a minute to finally show the Tesla Logo and power up

Do I ever have to question the weather being a factor? Winter is coming (singing game of thrones theme song in my head). Temperatures will drop up to to -30 degrees Celsius. Will this be a concern? I've only had a Tesla for 2 ½ months.
extreme cold weather will affect its real world range significantly. Always charge extra with a big margin of safety to get from point a to b.

Good to know it's all back on. I will leave it plugged to keep the battery pack warm.

Does that do anything? I thought when it finishes charging it no longer takes any juice, hence the phantom drain...

The mistake I do keep making though is that I should be heating my car while it's still plugged in. Its frigging cold in here! My heated seat is on, but every time it gets really warm it seems to shut off. Yet another question for TMC; is this normal? Or anlther thing to add to my "list" for the SC next week?