Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ummmmmm the referral program is back!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
7D106B9E-6476-4DA3-8260-5BCFB03BDA12.png
Am I seeing things? Went into my account and found this!

Not probably. It only benefits the Youtube channel's when you are talking qty of drawings / month... I never understood this. There should have been a cap a long time ago for Youtube channels. I have given more test drives and talked more about the brand than any other car I have ever owned. I never pushed hard on please use my code like a drug pusher or a Youtube Channel and I got some referral codes from it and some very happy new car owners. But all these channels if they are worthwhile get paid through their viewer subscribing and advertisements. To allow them to continue to get entries into drawings is nuts. I am not sure how my 2-3 referrals would compare to a youtube channels 100+ referrals. I am sure I am being conservative on that Qty!

Reactions: Techniques
Seems like with every referral you get a monthly chance to win a Y but also a chance per quarter to win a roadster. Probably will still benefit the YouTube influencers
I don't think so. With the old program, average people with a handful of referrals at best had no chance at winning a car. The only people who did were the people who could get dozens of people to use their code.

With the new program, the Youtubers will have a better chance of winning a car than any given average person, but there will be far more average people eligible to win. Most cars will go to average people, and many to people who only have a single referral.

As both a tesla owner and shareholder, this is a much better referral program than the prior one.

The prior program got out of hand with the number of prizes handed out to YouTubers including multiple Roadsters to an individual. The fact that 50 referrals netted you a $250K car meant that the effective customer acquisition cost for a referral was $5K. With larger margin cars like the model S & X, there was enough net margin to absorb that. With non-performance model 3's, there simply isn't.

The referral program was even more perverse because many owners would have purchased vehicles without providing a referral code but the new buyer had to provide a referral code in order to get free supercharging so YouTubers were gifted with huge numbers of referrals that otherwise would not have been placed if it didn't benefit the new owner. Tesla was effectively forcing new car owners to make Tesla pay out up to $5K for each vehicle it sold. Ridiculous...

Having said that, we need more vehicle sales (including the model 3) and referrals should be incentivized. With the new incentive program, there is the free supercharging component which benefits the average joe Tesla owner (a non-performance model 3 owner by sheer volume of sales >>> performance 3/X/S combined most of whom have free supercharging). Then there's the raffle which gives everyone a chance at winning the Y/roadster prizes while still incentivizing YouTubers by giving them more ballots with more referrals and also 2 ballots per referral if they already have free supercharging.

There's significant cost containment by giving out a $75K vehicle once per month and a $250K vehicle once per quarter. This is a really good way to keep encouraging the user-driven content on YouTube, podcasts, and social media while having a firm grasp on what referral costs will be on a quarterly basis. Kudos to tesla for a) putting a stop to the ridiculous referral program which went on for at least 6 months too long (with non-performance 3's being eligible in the old program in the 2nd half of 2018 to early 2019) and b) implementing a much better program to keep encouraging Tesla content creation while keeping its costs fixed and users excited for monthly raffles.

Reactions: Vawlkus and mociaf9
It’s way more than $25 worth.. and that’s kind of the point. Do you know how the lottery works?

A full charge of a LR 3 is like 15 bucks at a super charger and half that at home. So to me its worth about $25, even if you double it is it really worth way more? The lottery is stacked against you because the influencers get a hundred entries and normal people get a couple. With the current state of affairs this is hardly going to be cause for celebration nor is it going to move the needle back as far as goodwill to the faithful.

Its just a bad program, is a pittance of electricity really the best they can come up with? I am sure the fanboys would be way more excited about exclusive content.

Last edited:
1500 kms of supercharging isn't a big perk but for the short term (until May 28) the increase to 7500 kms is much better. 7500 would cover a good amount of road-tripping. In any event, it's better than a big goose egg. That being said, under their website (Support/Referral Program/Limits) it states that British Columbians don't qualify for anything. Wonder who made up this silly restriction.

1500 kms of supercharging isn't a big perk but for the short term (until May 28) the increase to 7500 kms is much better. 7500 would cover a good amount of road-tripping. In any event, it's better than a big goose egg. That being said, under their website (Support/Referral Program/Limits) it states that British Columbians don't qualify for anything. Wonder who made up this silly restriction.

Government regulations on freebies? Do you guys get roll up the rim or Monopoly from McDs?

Government regulations on freebies? Do you guys get roll up the rim or Monopoly from McDs?
I believe the gist is that if you do anything that influences the sale of a car in BC you are considered a salesperson and all salespersons must be registered.
https://mvsabc.com/v1/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Bulletin23.16.pdf

Hopefully these rules won't be extended beyond the car industry to the restaurant industry otherwise they will only inventory the "please try again' cups at Timmy Ho's in BC.