Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Un-stagger Model X tires/wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks guys.

A few questions if you could -
1. Are the front and rear wheels different sizes?
2. If so, then which size does one square to?

I've seen posts where when rear wheels are swapped to the front the inner rim of the wheel rubs on the lower a frame.

Thanks
MDR

Thanks guys.

A few questions if you could -
1. Are the front and rear wheels different sizes?
2. If so, then which size does one square to?

I've seen posts where when rear wheels are swapped to the front the inner rim of the wheel rubs on the lower a frame.

Thanks
MDR

The rear rim is too wide for the front, so they will rub. Had issue with rubbing when tire shop accidentally put the rear rim on the front. The front are 9 inch wide rear is now 9.5 inch used to be 10 inch

If you are going for a square setup I suggest you go with 19 inch all around.
You can get 4 of the front 20inch rim all around but it seems your tire choice is very limited in 265 size. Going down to 19 inch you will have a lot more options. There are a lot of good tires that can't be found in the 265 20 inch size.

As far as getting better range it's not so much the size of the rim but the weight. Lighter the better

This question is a little off topic but seems the right people are here to ask: Looking for a "universal spare" tire, what size would you recommend?

You can always get another rim and tire of whatever rim and tire you are running. If your running the stock staggered setup get another front rim and tire, this way it can be used in the front or back if needed

Has anyone tried the 19" tires year-round? Looking for a range comparison, ride quality comparison, handling comparison.

Range depends on weight of rim/tire combo. You should see a bit of improvement. I wouldn't really expect much.

Ride quality will be better because a 19 inch rim/tire combo will require a tire with thicker sidewalls. Overall circumference will be the same no matter what the rim / tire combo is. So smaller rim thicker tire, more cushion and smoother ride.

Handling will not be as good on a thick tire compared to a thinner tire. But then again you won't notice it for daily road use. I don't think any of us goes racing our X.

Yes, I really want to switch to the 19" too. Not just for tire selection, but also because Michelin treadlife warranty is cut in half if the front and rear sizes don't match. The Latitude Tour HP has a 55,000 mile warranty. That's some serious cost of ownership savings and a great tire.

I'm also very interested in the Vredestein Quatrac 5, it's a touring tire with the three-peak mountain rating, it's bargain priced, and also has a 45,000 mile treadlife warranty.

If you have the standard 20" Slipstreams, you can always buy two front take-offs online and run those on the rear. I'm sure this has been covered, but running the identical 20x9 w/ 265/45r20 tires in all 4 positions allows you to rotate tires to your hearts content.

On a related note, I always carry a spare front take-off when I travel with the MX, since the fronts fit any position. When in town, the spare is in the garage and just a phone call away. I keep a 2 ton floor jack, breaker bar, and torque wrench w/ 13/16 socket in an 18 inch tool bag in the MX trunk at all times. The bag also has a first aid kit, tarp, rain parka, 12v air pump, flashlights, and a few tools. This setup allows me to change a flat or broken wheel in 15 minutes and continue on with life.

Reactions: J__T and Skidmark
If you have the standard 20" Slipstreams, you can always buy two front take-offs online and run those on the rear. I'm sure this has been covered, but running the identical 20x9 w/ 265/45r20 tires in all 4 positions allows you to rotate tires to your hearts content.

On a related note, I always carry a spare front take-off when I travel with the MX, since the fronts fit any position. When in town, the spare is in the garage and just a phone call away. I keep a 2 ton floor jack, breaker bar, and torque wrench w/ 13/16 socket in an 18 inch tool bag in the MX trunk at all times. The bag also has a first aid kit, tarp, rain parka, 12v air pump, flashlights, and a few tools. This setup allows me to change a flat or broken wheel in 15 minutes and continue on with life.
You....are prepared.
Thanks for the info.
MDR