Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to charge battery (bms_a064)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got a firmware update yesterday evening to 2021.24.4 on our 2018 M3P. We noticed an unexpected push notification that charging was interrupted which I don't remember seeing with previous updates, but figured maybe there was a reset involved there that might interrupt charging. I'm not sure if the car charged overnight since my wife took it to work in the morning and didn't remember where the battery was at vs. the night before. (We're on 120v which is enough for regular use but it often means the car doesn't fully charge overnight anyway.)

After plugging it in today, I noticed a premature push notification saying charging was complete at only ~90 miles. Looking at the screen in the car there was a "maximum battery charge level reduced - unable to charge battery to 100%" warning with a bms_a064 error code.

I noticed when the charger is plugged in, the charger seems to click and cycle while the computer switches between "starting to charge" -> "charging" -> "charge complete" in a loop. Took a video of it here: New video by Tai Zhang

Tried a soft reboot (hold down both wheel buttons), didn't seem to make a difference.

Anyone experienced anything like this and is it even possible for a software update to screw up the car this badly? I assume it might be a weird coincidence. From Googling it sounds like this error is associated with battery failure.

Put in a service call and the earliest we were able to get was Friday, but it's a pretty big bummer since we had plans for the long weekend that required the car.