Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to charge disconnect cable and retry message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a model X 90D with the higher amp charger installed. All of a sudden my X drops from charging at 72 amp down to 47 or 48 amps. I thought it might be something with my wall connector so I tried my wall connector at my other house and got the same result 47 or 48 amps. I have scheduled a ranger or service center visit for a week from now but I was wondering of there is something on the charge port that can be cleaned?

IMG_20190629_191242451.jpg Screenshot_20190629-191329.png IMG_20190630_173224362.jpg

The voltage does look low at 229V to 232V, I presume from a nominal 240V circuit. You might look at the voltage just as charging is starting. It seems likely the voltage is dropping enough that the car is reducing the current.

Given that it does the same thing with two chargers, the car's charge port seems like a good place to start. Try cleaning, look for anything loose or broken. Does the charger handle get really hot?

I would spray some contact cleaner and make sure nothing stuck in you port ..there are threads here where a small piece breaks off the charge handle and gets stuck inside
Good point. I've see that before. Also, I have had this trouble at the Atlantis destination charger up here on a few occasions. I disconnect, clean it a little and then it works. I wonder if the connections at the end of the charging cable had issues because people sometimes leave it on the ground where it gets snow and water in it occasionally. It sure looks oxidized some times.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
2 updates

My X has been at the service center twice in the last 2 weeks the second time they kept it and have had it for a week with the same issue. They've said they're escalating it but I was able to provide documentation with specific dates, times, and screen shots from 2 different wall connectors that supported 72 amp charing as well as my UMC. The 2 wall connectors were in 2 different states with 2 different power companies (1 in NJ and 1 in VT) the UMC was in Long Island NY and all received the same error. I even tried from the clipper creek j1772 charger in my mother's condo and still had the issue. I'm currently in a holding pattern with service but every time this happened the charging amps always dropped to either 47 amps (wall connector) or 30 amps (UMC) without ever having an issue at any of the locations previously. The first time they had this issue they changed the charge port which looked like it fixed it for a day for some reason maybe just because I didn't charge for long enough to have the drop out but when the car charged for an extended period of time (more than 10 - 20 minutes) the warning message appeared. I'll reply back when I hear from the SC and see what they have to say. I had originally thought there was an issue with the on-board charger because it would drop down from 72 to 47 amps figuring 1 of the 3 boards in the charger was going but the SC didn't seem to think so. Of course that was a week ago so we'll see.

I heard back from the SC today and they told me it wasn't drops that were causing this but spikes. They said what was happening was the internal charger would detect a spike the 3rd charging board would automatically shut down the charger and then only continue at 47 amps which doesn't make a lot of sense. Does anyone have a product they like to monitor voltage and amperage and log the data? I know there are a lot of home monitors that will monitor amperage but Tesla is claiming a voltage spike not a drop. I've tested in 3 states 3 different power companies and I'm having trouble buying the voltage spike thing. I suspect you're right about the firmware updates and they don't want to admit it. I"m going to use a fluke meter / scope to monitor my charging session when I get the car back and see what the voltage does. I'll report back what I find.
Screenshot_20190714-202109.png IMG_20190714_191214570.jpg Screenshot_20190714-153244.png IMG_20190713_211955274.jpg IMG_20190713_211951163.jpg IMG_20190630_173224362.jpg