Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to charge..disconnect cable and retry...then goes away

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2016 MS. When charging at home lately, when I plug in the UMC cable the dash pops up with a warning "Unable to charge. Disconnect Cable and Retry"

If I wait about 3 seconds, the warning goes away, and charging completes with no further issues. This has been going on for a couple of months now. I have tried blowing out the port and cable with compressed air.

Any suggestions/comments?

2016 MS. When charging at home lately, when I plug in the UMC cable the dash pops up with a warning "Unable to charge. Disconnect Cable and Retry"

If I wait about 3 seconds, the warning goes away, and charging completes with no further issues. This has been going on for a couple of months now. I have tried blowing out the port and cable with compressed air.

Any suggestions/comments?

I have this issue too! I also have another somewhat related issue, a few times (very rare) my charger will stop charging and require me to plug and unplug to continue. could be annoying if its at a public lvl2 charger which requires me to physically go back to the car, or when its in the middle of the night -_-

This can be caused by a delay in the EVSE coming on-line when plugged into the car. The car expects it faster than it happens. Listen for the relay in the EVSE to close quickly or not. My open EVSE box goes into a "must reboot" state after a long time idle. When I plug it into the car in that state the re-boot of the EVSE causes the car to complain just as described but then it picks up from there as soon as the relay closes.

This a software bug and has been on-going for about 2-3 months.

I have it myself and while I had another appointment, this was diagnosed at Tesla SC. Unfortunately it is (just) a bit annoying and still happening for me. There is a discussion about it here at TMC and quite many people have the same "problem" - although despite of the message there is nothing more to it.

"This is a firmware related issue and will be fixed in future firmware updates."

teslacharging.jpg