TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

"Unable to Charge" Error--when not plugged in

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by JST, Jan 8, 2014.

1. JST

JST Active Member

So, three times now my car has thrown an "Unable to Charge--Unplug and Try Again" error message while the car has not been plugged in. Each time (I believe) it's happened after I've stopped and put the car in park, but either not gotten out of the car or left the door open when I got out (and then returned).

Anyone else have this issue? It's cleared itself all three times, but I am wondering whether it is a sign of impending charger failure or some similar calamity.

Apologies if this has been discussed; I tried a search but didn't find anything quickly.

2. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Member

Maybe suggest calling service and have them pull your logs.

3. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

I've never seen this error. Sounds like an intermittent sensor in the charge port mechanism; do you hear any solenoids clicking?

4. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I had kind of the opposite. My car would do that when I tried to plug in. Tesla replaced my charge port.

5. JST

JST Active Member

So, just an update--they replaced my high voltage junction box back in Jan, which cleared the problem up.

But, recently, it's come back. Same error message, same intermittent occurrence. Am taking it back in and will see what happens.