Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to charge errors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I just had a few questions about what could be the issue with charging my Model 3 recently.

Here is some backstory, I have had a NEMA 14-30 for about 6 months now and have used it with 0 issues. A few weeks ago, I started getting “charging stopped” notifications from the app in the middle of the night. Then, “Unable to charge- Mobile Connector GFCI tripped” and “Unable to Charge, Check charging equipment” etc. My UMC box (The part that says Tesla) would flash green, then 1 time Red. I would reset the breaker, and it would charge again like normal. I have called Tesla, they said it must be my UMC or Outlet, because they suspect nothing is wrong with the car. Sometimes I would just disconnect the UMC and it would work again. I typically am only getting the notification after the car is done charging, and it’s plugged in for a few hours / overnight. I have heard the issue could be my electrical outlet, the UMC, or even my car’s power conversion system. Note: my charge rate is not reduced and my car has always charged once I reset the breaker. Anyone have a similar issue? Is this most likely my outlet? Any possibility it’s false errors? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance. I have Been pretty worried. I Have also posted this on Facebook.

It could be any of those things just as Tesla said. I’d see if you can swap the UMC with someone you know to test it out for a few days to see if that’s the problem.

You could also call your electrician back out to check everything, not a bad idea for safety purposes. What size breaker did they install?

It’s probably your UMC, it happens. Might just want to get one on order.