Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to charge - Maximum charge level reached

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Short story, 2021 M3, about 13K miles on it, purchased brand new. Typically my max charge limit is set to 80%.

About 2 weeks ago I drove from LA to Santa Rosa (7 hours) - supercharged along the way, no issues at all. Got back to LA, car was parked for about a week with minor driving, just went out of town for the weekend and the car sat at the airport for 4 days with sentry mode on. Got home, plugged it in overnight, charged no problem. Drove the next day, parked it without charging overnight, the following day this message appeared "Unable to charge - Maximum charge level reached"

Tried resetting the computer, plugging it in and nothing. Message stays on the screen, almost no regenerative braking at all. Scheduled an appointment but the soonest is March 20th, seems like the milage is slowly draining and I have 200 miles left!!

Any ideas on this? Also, do I need to remove my rear diffuser for them to replace the battery pack? Don't want there to be any complications when I drop it off.

Thanks!!

Short story, 2021 M3, about 13K miles on it, purchased brand new. Typically my max charge limit is set to 80%.

About 2 weeks ago I drove from LA to Santa Rosa (7 hours) - supercharged along the way, no issues at all. Got back to LA, car was parked for about a week with minor driving, just went out of town for the weekend and the car sat at the airport for 4 days with sentry mode on. Got home, plugged it in overnight, charged no problem. Drove the next day, parked it without charging overnight, the following day this message appeared "Unable to charge - Maximum charge level reached"

Tried resetting the computer, plugging it in and nothing. Message stays on the screen, almost no regenerative braking at all. Scheduled an appointment but the soonest is March 20th, seems like the milage is slowly draining and I have 200 miles left!!

Any ideas on this? Also, do I need to remove my rear diffuser for them to replace the battery pack? Don't want there to be any complications when I drop it off.

Thanks!!
Did the car display an error code?

Reactions: matnetik
IMG_1353.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and DuncanM
Called the service center, they said they would get me in as soon as the battery pack arrives because they don't have it in stock. No loaners available and they offered Uber credits which is lame

If it were me, I think I would (politely) call them again (perhaps saturday) and tell them that uber credits unfortunately will not work because of your daily travel obligations to work, etc and would they please let you know if they might have a loaner available monday or tuesday.

Not sure if its the same with Tesla, but back when I had my BMWs the best day to get a loaner was first thing monday morning.

Uber credits might work for a "drop off car this afternoon and pick up tomorrow" situation but in a "we need to order the battery" situation they dont... and they know that. As long as someone isnt "challenging", you can probably get a loaner if they get one back in. They likely just dont have any on a thursday / friday.

• Helpful
Reactions: matnetik and byeLT4
If it were me, I think I would (politely) call them again (perhaps saturday) and tell them that uber credits unfortunately will not work because of your daily travel obligations to work, etc and would they please let you know if they might have a loaner available monday or tuesday.

Not sure if its the same with Tesla, but back when I had my BMWs the best day to get a loaner was first thing monday morning.

Uber credits might work for a "drop off car this afternoon and pick up tomorrow" situation but in a "we need to order the battery" situation they dont... and they know that. As long as someone isnt "challenging", you can probably get a loaner if they get one back in. They likely just dont have any on a thursday / friday.
Brilliant advice, appreciate it! Will try this Saturday. Last time they had to repaint my whole front bumper because a paint peel on delivery they did the same thing, no loaner and it took almost a week.

Thanks!!
I had the same issue several months ago. The high voltage battery needed to be replaced.

They need to replace the whole battery??
Yes, that is pretty normal for this failure.

Presumably unable to balance it or maybe some other fault triggered. I don’t know that we have ever seen an SMT read on a pack with this condition. Might show nothing.

Also, do I need to remove my rear diffuser for them to replace the battery pack?
If they hassle you about that it would not be cool at all. Should be a non-issue in any case. Couple of bolts on the aero shield have to come off I think but diffuser should be completely untouched.

Interior of the car will need to be removed though!

Last edited:
Yes, that is pretty normal for this failure.

Presumably unable to balance it or maybe some other fault triggered. I don’t know that we have ever seen an SMT read on a pack with this condition. Might show nothing.

If they hassle you about that it would not be cool at all. Should be a non-issue in any case. Couple of bolts on the aero shield have to come off I think but diffuser should be completely untouched.

Interior of the car will need to be removed though!
Appreciate the reply!!

Okay - ended up getting a loaner thankfully. Dropped off on Monday morning, was ready for pickup last night!

I was hoping I'd get my range back but looks like 100% still only gets me to 338 miles (it's a 2021, when it was new it would hit 350 for sure) but I guess the HV Battery doesn't affect the range? Idk odd to me -

Okay - ended up getting a loaner thankfully. Dropped off on Monday morning, was ready for pickup last night!

I was hoping I'd get my range back but looks like 100% still only gets me to 338 miles (it's a 2021, when it was new it would hit 350 for sure) but I guess the HV Battery doesn't affect the range? Idk odd to me -
They just put in a used/refurb battery to match your prior pack. Or a new pack that had been sitting around a long time (you’d have to have SMT/CAN reader to know what the statistics are on it).

So it has some capacity loss, 5% or so, which is perfectly normal. Your car had either a 77.8kWh or “82.1kWh” pack originally (depends on whether you purchased early in 2021 or not) so what they put in will match that (hopefully!).

You are now at about 74.6kWh.

Hopefully no further issues!

Last edited:
They just put in a used/refurb battery to match your prior pack. Or a new pack that had been sitting around a long time (you’d have to have SMT/CAN reader to know what the statistics are on it).

So it has some capacity loss, 5% or so, which is perfectly normal. Your car had either a 77.8kWh or “82.1kWh” pack originally (depends on whether you purchased early in 2021 or not) so what they put in will match that (hopefully!).

You are now at about 74.6kWh.

Hopefully no further issues!
Appreciate the detailed info here - yeah I bought it in June 2021. Not the end of the world but I am happy it's fixed.

I was hoping they would replace the front plastic skid plate that is cracked and zip tied since they were under the car but they didn't. Going to just purchase a metal one -

2023 ModelY. 15,124 miles. Got the bms_079 message Saturday morning. Was able to get an appointment on Tuesday. Luckily live in area where I had 4 Service Centers within 25 miles from me so my experience may have been better. Drop off was simple, didn’t even have to ask for loaner they just provided right away. So far app says it will be done Friday. So far the service center is experience has been great.

2023 ModelY. 15,124 miles. Got the bms_079 message Saturday morning. Was able to get an appointment on Tuesday. Luckily live in area where I had 4 Service Centers within 25 miles from me so my experience may have been better. Drop off was simple, didn’t even have to ask for loaner they just provided right away. So far app says it will be done Friday. So far the service center is experience has been great.
That sounds like it was a pleasant experience, do you by chance have a follow up of how it turned out?