Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to Charge to 100%

weaves83

Feb 11, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
Has anyone else experienced an issue with not being able to charge to 100%? I had this happen once on my charger at home a while ago. Now I am sitting at a supercharger indicating 98 with 10 minutes remaining and nothing has changed in the last 20 minutes. It’s indicating 1kW. This is a Model 3 Performance. Thanks guys.

Tam

Nov 25, 2012
Visalia, CA
Has anyone else experienced an issue with not being able to charge to 100%? I had this happen once on my charger at home a while ago. Now I am sitting at a supercharger indicating 98 with 10 minutes remaining and nothing has changed in the last 20 minutes. It’s indicating 1kW. This is a Model 3 Performance. Thanks guys.

I don't think it is related to "performance"

That's normal with the last few percentages left.

The charging rate is highest at near depletion and would become slower and slower inching toward fullness.

I am not surprised about your wait of 20 minutes and many minutes more from that.

It's not finished until you see "Charge Complete".

Reactions: Tessaract

ewoodrick

Apr 13, 2018
Buford, GA
Not uncommon, batteries are balancing. May take hours. A Supercharger isn't a great place to charge to 100%

Tessaract

Aug 12, 2019
Ottawa
It's true that the last few percent of charging take quite long. Unless you absolutely need the few extra miles of range, don't charge to 100%. It's much more time-efficient to charge only to whatever you need to reach the next charger (plus a little bit for margin, of course).

Reactions: pow216

weaves83

Feb 11, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
Not my first time charging I understand how it works. It has been probably 6 months since the last time I tried but it has done it successfully before and the time estimate hasn’t been that drastically wrong.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC