Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable To Charge warning while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model Y suddenly started to show ‘Unable To Charge. Unplug And Try Again’ warning while I’m driving. But it goes right away and there is no problem when I’m charing after parking.

I suspected the software and I’ve updated to the latest firmware version, but it didn’t work.. So I contacted the service center and they said ‘We will need to inspect further to verify but it looks like there could be a issue with the charge port itself.’ And it might be needed to replace the charge port.

Anyone has experienced similar issue?

• Informative
Reactions: tk1971
I seem to recall seeing something similar a couple times in the Model 3 forum on the Tesla site, and that it was a hardware issue with the charge port; but my memory isn't highly reliable. You might want to run a search of the Model 3 forums here and on the Tesla site.

I seem to recall seeing something similar a couple times in the Model 3 forum on the Tesla site, and that it was a hardware issue with the charge port; but my memory isn't highly reliable. You might want to run a search of the Model 3 forums here and on the Tesla site.

I searched for it but I could not find. Maybe I should wait for the mobile service to come next week. :(

I had this. drove around fine, and one day randomly stopped letting me charge because I cant insert charger cable. Service center x7 days, replaced whole charge port plus wire plus busbar. Car fine now. Definitely a range of outcomes and remedies.

Well, that does it. I just scheduled a mobile service appointment and sent a pic of the screen showing the warning and the "_a063_SW_ChargePort" code.

Well, that does it. I just scheduled a mobile service appointment and sent a pic of the screen showing the warning and the "_a063_SW_ChargePort" code.
Yep that is the exact code I had. I googled it and didn’t come up with anything. I think it may just be faulty charge port. Which is a fairly quick fix from what I’ve heard. My service center just happened to not have the parts even though it was specifically for 3 and Y.

Mobile service
I'm also suspecting that. Sometimes it's totally fine (no warning at all), but sometimes it alerts over ten times while driving 10 miles. I'll let the mobile support know this. Thank you.

Mobile service came yesterday and fixed it. He said he didn't have to change the charge port itself but bent something to make it connect correctly. It seemed fine yesterday.

My appt was postponed a week as Part # 1490374-10-B (Chargeport, na, cp, m3/y) had to be ordered for the service appt.

Sure enough, as soon as that happened (Murphy's Law), I unplugged the Y and can't get the locking pin to retract, so the charging cable head can't be inserted. I tried to manually retract the pin to insert the charging cable head but the car won't charge.

That escalated fast...

Had the exact same frustrating issue on mine right after I picked it up. It’s been solved finally after bringing it in for service. They replaced something called a safety cap on the charge port. Problem fixed!

• Informative
My appt was postponed a week as Part # 1490374-10-B (Chargeport, na, cp, m3/y) had to be ordered for the service appt.

Sure enough, as soon as that happened (Murphy's Law), I unplugged the Y and can't get the locking pin to retract, so the charging cable head can't be inserted. I tried to manually retract the pin to insert the charging cable head but the car won't charge.

That escalated fast...
Keep pulling the emergency cord down several times until it drops and holds down. I had this problem too and it was infuriating.

• Informative
Another 2 failed attempts to get this resolved...

I got an email the the charge port was received. Then I got a call that the tech couldn’t make the appt on Sat, so rescheduled for Sunday. The tech who came to the Sun said he didn’t have the part. So he came to perform a diagnostic.

Seems like a waste of a service appt. Why not just come out next week or whenever they think they can? It’s not like I can drive the car since I can’t charge it.

Hopefully it gets fixed before the battery is drained and the car gets bricked.

For what it's worth, I'd like to hear about your experiences in a Bolt. I'm cross-shopping it between the Y.

In terms of Size, tech, bells/whistles and “cache”, the Y is where it’s at. It’s a gorgeous car that lives up to the hype and first year teething problems are expected (from me at least), so I’m reserving plenty of patience to deal with it.

I have had my Bolt since January 2017. It had it’s initial quality issues as well (steering boot rubbing, defective left front axle, electronic rear view mirror with torn cable). Luckily all easily fixed under warranty. I would say that after the first 6 months of dealing with these few issues, it’s been trouble free since.

I still drive the Bolt daily. It’s reliable, pleasant to drive, and I love the little hatchback styling.

The Y is technically my wife’s car (replacing her 2015 Leaf), but with all the initial issues, no one has been driving it. So I’ve been dealing with all the warranty work thus far.

Once someone puts water on all the gremlins, in terms of bang for the buck, any base price Tesla would look, feel and drive like it’s in another league than the Bolt.

The next car will be mine again. I hope Tesla will come up with a small sporty hatchback by the time I’m ready to sell the Bolt.

Reactions: Pilot1226
So Tesla arranged for another mobile service call for yesterday and I didn’t need to be there.

The mobile tech fixed the issue and my car is charging. Apparently this is a known problem. At first they wanted me to go in because their engineering group wanted to look at it for informational purposes.

That’s good that they want to investigate the root cause and come up with a Preventive Action, but I’m glad they fixed my car (Corrective Action).

So Tesla arranged for another mobile service call for yesterday and I didn’t need to be there.

The mobile tech fixed the issue and my car is charging. Apparently this is a known problem. At first they wanted me to go in because their engineering group wanted to look at it for informational purposes.

That’s good that they want to investigate the root cause and come up with a Preventive Action, but I’m glad they fixed my car (Corrective Action).

Good to know. I think they made me come in to report to engineering at HQ to document it all. Sounds like mine was one of the first to have this issue and now likely a service bulletin is being written up.