Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to charge with home charger; no light; connector needs cleaning

For the last several months, my home charger intermittently would not be recognized as plug in. The charger port light that would normally turned dark blue after plugin was just not there, nothing, no light. No error light on charger either. It would work again randomly so it was hard to find a pattern, only that it was getting bad more often. I checked the connector and it looked shiny and clean. However, a swab of a q-tip with alcohol came out all black! all terminal pins on the connector were the same. Anyway, after throughly cleaned all large and small pins on the connector as well as on the charge port, charging seems to be consistently good now.

Also, after connector cleaning, the voltage drop during charging is less than before. It used to drop around 5-6 volt at 16-20amp charge. Now it only drops 3-4 volt.

I'm just writing this as an FYI to others. I've had the X car since 2016 and this is the first time I cleaned the home charger connector and port. Should this be a recommended periodic maintenance?

DCGOO

Supporting Member
Nov 24, 2015
Indianapolis, IN
For the last several months, my home charger intermittently would not be recognized as plug in. The charger port light that would normally turned dark blue after plugin was just not there, nothing, no light. No error light on charger either. It would work again randomly so it was hard to find a pattern, only that it was getting bad more often. I checked the connector and it looked shiny and clean. However, a swab of a q-tip with alcohol came out all black! all terminal pins on the connector were the same. Anyway, after throughly cleaned all large and small pins on the connector as well as on the charge port, charging seems to be consistently good now.

Also, after connector cleaning, the voltage drop during charging is less than before. It used to drop around 5-6 volt at 16-20amp charge. Now it only drops 3-4 volt.

I'm just writing this as an FYI to others. I've had the X car since 2016 and this is the first time I cleaned the home charger connector and port. Should this be a recommended periodic maintenance?
What kind of charger/connector were you using? I've never seen a Tesla connector with a blue light.

Rocky_H

Feb 19, 2015
Boise, ID
The charger port light that would normally turned dark blue
What kind of charger/connector were you using? I've never seen a Tesla connector with a blue light.
He said the "port" had a blue light, not the charge plug. Blue is one of the normal colors for the light on the car's charge port.

Reactions: DCGOO

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC