Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to Connect to S85 and Dead Center Screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got back from the Service Center...(more on that in a sec)

Yesterday, I decided to do a factory restore on my car, as there were a lot of settings I wanted to change from her previous owner as well as wanting a fresh start on all the systems.

So, I initiated the factory restore feature from the Settings and now my center screen is dead. I called Tech Support but they could not connect to the car.

I also tried resetting the car using the two-button reset. It works (my phone, plugged into the dock in the center console acts as if I just plugged it in) but nothing happens on the screen. I also get the message on the instrument cluster "Systems Starting Up..." But it just stays there until I press the brake pedal (clears when I do that after about 20s).

Took her down to the SC this morning (car still drives, just no A/C, music, daytime running lights, etc.) and they weren't able to connect to the car to flash the firmware.

Anyone here might know what happened here, and better yet, what should happen next?

The girl working with the the Service team said that because I initiated the restore from the settings menu, that it wasn't anything that was my fault, but they are checking to see if it's covered under the warranty(!).

Just thought I'd share this with you all and get an idea of what's going on...

Yeah, the car is under warranty (December 2014 with 29,000mi) but they're not sure if this would be covered because it's something I initiated?
It sounds like what you did was reasonable and the software allowed it; if this happened to me, I would take the position that the fix (whatever it is, re-loading the computer or whatever) should be covered by warranty. The system should not allow a user (i.e., not logged in with admin password) to trash the system.

Reactions: ModelZ
Yeah that's what TS said, but the SC wasn't even able to directly connect to the car.

in my experience with re-flashing chips at home that can happen if some of the fuses are toggled (a term for low-level settings on microcontrollers, has nothing to do with real fuses). After that you might not be able to reconnect.. I have no knowledge of how Tesla does this but it is possible to brick a chip just by re-flashing it. (unless you pull out the high voltage programmer, better to just Widlarize it)

My guess is They'll have to use a factory programmer and then things should be ok. Depending on how they handle the over the air updates it could be a bad memory module (they have to store the new firmware somewhere while copying it onto the main chip) at which point they'd probably just change out the whole unit.

Disclaimer: I'm an ME with a soldering iron, not an ECE.

Reactions: ModelZ
Yeah, when I called Tech Support, the guy was surprised I could drive the car too (I was actually at the SC using the SuC at the time, but it was on Sunday).

It really appears as if the factory reset worked, but just killed something that makes it so the car doesn't function properly.

However, it's been really fun because I haven't been able to use any of the AP features (TACC still works though?) since they are all enabled through the Settings.

I feel like I've been able to connect to the car, personally, learning how it drives and functions as a car and not just as a piece of technology.

Thankfully, it's also been relatively cool, temperature-wise, here this week. Otherwise, I would have probably melted.

Yeah, for someone that always has the A/C on (even in the Winter when it's below zero), it's a vital system in my car.

I was kind of relieved that it's an "easy fix". I just wish I didn't have to go one more day without a functioning car, but oh well. Beggars can't be choosers. :cool:

Just a quick update...Dropped her off at the Nashville SC yesterday. They gave me a white 2014 S60 as a loaner (ugh). At least it has working A/C and music.

I was supposed to hear back from them last night, but never received a call. Hopefully, I'll hear something today. The SA did say it would more than likely be completed today.

They were going to try a couple of things before replacing the MCU. I'll update y'all when I get some more info. :cool:

After calling the SC yesterday morning and being told they were awaiting some information from HQ in CA about what to do (apparently, this has never happened before?), the first step the techs told them was to replace the display.

Fortunately, that was the solution!

I also requested that they fix the driver's side dome light, as it was not able to be pressed...They replaced both the driver AND passenger lights just so they wear the same.

They also gave her a bath, and now she looks beautiful and functions properly.

So, for a $7,000 visit that was covered under warranty, I can't complain too much (well, except for the S60 loaner).