Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to decide model and options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Newbie here. Please advise.

I m ready to order, but wondering if I should go with
  • S60 + supercharger
  • S85

Which is the preferred? My scenario requires a quick jump acceleration during morning traffic to reach workplace for emergencies. Which model works out best - is the 7.5K difference worth to get the S85 for improved performance? Also, with battery degradation of 70% over time, does the S60 get to only 140 miles per full charge?

Also, what are the popular options for most buyers. I am going with tech pkg for either model, but do folks get air suspension (now increased) and rear seats pkg too? Whats the most preferred or ordered options? Is there a poll for that?

Thanks,
K

The S85 is a more flexible vehicle when it comes to road trips, for sure. I don't think the performance difference should tip the scales, though. Pano roof gives you some extra headroom, especially in the rear.

Early data suggest battery degradation won't be as significant as projected: Roadster batteries appear headed for about 80% capacity at 100K miles; it's a good bet the S battery will do as well.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like S85 then.

How about the options and addons? The tech package looks like a must-have. Do others feel the same way?

We have no kids yet, but are planning in the next few years. The rear seats maybe a too much though - my only concern is that its factory installed. I guess in the future, the aftermarket installs are possible, if really needed.

How about the air suspension? Is it that necessary on day-to-day driving/parking? How much of a difference does it really make? I did not find it significantly higher/lower during the test drive. Plus it now costs more - Hate that they increased the price of it so arbitrarily!

Thanks for the replies. Looks like S85 then.

How about the options and addons? The tech package looks like a must-have. Do others feel the same way?

We have no kids yet, but are planning in the next few years. The rear seats maybe a too much though - my only concern is that its factory installed. I guess in the future, the aftermarket installs are possible, if really needed.

How about the air suspension? Is it that necessary on day-to-day driving/parking? How much of a difference does it really make? I did not find it significantly higher/lower during the test drive. Plus it now costs more - Hate that they increased the price of it so arbitrarily!

I agree, S85 all the way if it is feasible given you live in California with so many Superchargers and the $8,000 difference in price adds useful range.

I would get the tech package as the xenon lights and memory seats are nice. Really should come with a car like this so probably my #1 option. Pano roof is very nice and adds head room for people sitting in back but if it is something you think you'll never use then can probably skip it.

You can probably skip the rear child seats at this point but not sure about aftermarket install. When you order from factory, they modify the rear bumper as well to make it safer back there so if you want it best to order it with the car. Odds are your kids would be riding in the back forward facing seats for many years before you'd have them sit in the rearward facing seats so you might be onto your next Model S or Model X by then=) The rear seats folded down also take up that below the floor space which is really useful for storage as well. If you get the rear seats and don't use them for 5 years you've lost that space for storage.

Air suspension is nice as well, especially with 21" rims. If you have any tough driveways (steep angles) then it is very useful. It will auto lower at highways speeds to make car more efficient. Some say there are more likely to break years down the road so have to keep that in mind. The increased price does make it more of a decision though.

Note they likely will be adding parking sensors and a winter package soon for order since they are available in Europe but we don't know when yet. Should be sometime in the fall though but just a guess.

Good problems to have. First, don't go broke on options. If your budget is ok and you're trying to get the most bang for your buck, my thought process was like this:

1. I want supercharging and the extra range. So 85 battery it is for $8k difference.
2. I don't want 21" tires. They wear out much more quickly (lots of threads on this) and the rims are very prone to curb rash. So 19" tires is desirable.
3. If I'm not getting the performance tires, I'll skip the Performance version of the car. 0-60 in 5 seconds is plenty fast.
4. If I'm not getting the performance tires or the performance car, I can skip the air suspension. I don't have a steep driveway so I don't think I'll miss this one. At $1500 for the option, though, not a big deal either way and this is more of my personal preference for a classic mechanical suspension.

I think Tech is a must-have even if it seems overpriced. I didn't just buy a car, I bought a computerized car and Tech is a big part of that.

For the rear seats, I think you can have Tesla add them later. But as a parent let me just say that there's about zero chance you'd put your new baby in the third row of any car -- you'll put him in the back seat center where you can see him and latch him in.

Although I have a P85+. I agree with Crispix about 19 inch wheels being more practical. I was replacing a Corvette; so, performance was important for me. I would disagree with his statement about air suspension. It is fantastic. Even with the performance suspension and low profile tires, my car rides so well. There are many place you will scratch the front of the car if you can't elevate the car.

I agree with almost everything said here already but I would recommend doing a feature by feature analysis of the tech package before deciding it is a "must have" option. I didn't get it and added aftermarket Xenons for under $70 and am more than happy with my feature set. Having said that, they have since moved driver profiles (seat memory) to the tech package vs leather seats. My decision if buying today would probably be different.

PS - I think Tesla has also made the door handle function arbitrarily less desireable in the non-tech cars since I purchased.

I don't have Tech Package. I don't miss it at all. Happy not to have a motorized rear door waiting to malfunction.

I've driven extensively both the air suspension and coil suspension. I like the coils better and I don't have to worry about multi thousand dollar repairs down the road. Pro mechanic speaking here: Never use a complicated/expensive system to serve a simple function.

I have a steep driveway that my honda and jetta scrape on, yet the Model S with coils does not whatsoever. Tesla did a great job at front clearance. In fact, the front air dam clears those concrete stops at parking lots!

Go 19's. The ride is much better. Tires much cheaper. 19's are sensible.

Lots of sound advise above.

60 v 85: Whenever I met someone with a 60, they said that was their only regret. If your budget allows it, go for it. If, OTOH, you never take road trips and only want to make local commutes, you'll be just find with a 60. Seeing that you don't have kids yet, now is the time to travel. Trust me!!!

Kids seats: I heard someone else here added them. I wouldn't bother right now, if ever. Like dsm363 said, you will keep your babies close to you and in infant seats long before you'll need the rear jumper seats. Also, these seats were intended to turn the car into a 7-seater. I don't know your particular needs, but it will be a while before you have more than 3 kids, or 2 kids and play-dates.

Options are very much a matter of opinion; there are various threads going into pros/cons of every option--search the forum. That said:

1. I got the tech package and don't regret it.

2. I got air suspension more for the aerodynamic benefits than for parking/speed bumps/etc. I've used the manual raise thing only a couple of times, when I was worried I might scrape one of those pieces of cement at the end of parking spaces, after hearing about the car lowering itself when parked. (I'm not sure I needed to worry, and usually I just try not to over-hang.)

3. I didn't get seat kids--no kids--but if you plan to have kids, it seems like you have to get the seats at order time. I'm not sure I'd trust a non-Tesla/aftermarket solution for the kid seats, safety-wise. Keep in mind that with the seats, you lose the very nice and useful storage of that footwell.

You didn't mention pano roof--I got that and like it, but I admit I don't open it much. My other half has something similar and we don't open that my, either...but like the sun, the feeling of open-ness, and the option to open it. So we got the pano roof on the Model S.

You didn't mention twin chargers; I got them mostly as future-proofing (plus the HPWC), but I've already found them useful in the wild, at a 70 amp charging station in Richmond.

You didn't mention paint armor; I got it and paid extra to do the full hood, but now kinda wish I'd skipped it and gone with a third-party full-car armor solution. Ah well.

You didn't mention the Sound Studio; I didn't get it and don't regret it. (Granted, it's tough to regret/miss something when I don't know what it's like. ;-) )

Good luck deciding, and welcome to the club! :cool:

- - - Updated - - -

Go 19's. The ride is much better. Tires much cheaper. 19's are sensible.

Oh yeah, tires! I know nothing about tires, but from what I've read (smoother ride, tires last longer), I'm glad I got 19s and not 21s. :-D

Kevin7 - It's a wise idea to get input from different owners. Here is my contribution:

You buy greater range with the standard 85 but barely perceptible difference in performance. Make your decision based on your range needs. If you never drive more than 100 miles a day the 60 is more than plenty. But if you take occasional long trips the 85 is definitely preferable. It also gives you more flexibility in emergencies.

IMO the #1 option is the pano roof, not the tech package. Tech primarily buys you increased convenience. But the pano roof buys you 2 inches of headroom in the back seat which many people consider a necessity.

The option to drive with an open sun roof may be the main reason to buy one on most cars. But not on Model S. I only open mine to demonstrate it to guests for fun, never when driving. But boy is that rear seat headroom nice when any adult rides in the back seat.

Speaking for myself, I would be frankly embarrassed to have an adult ride in the back seat of such an expensive car without enough headroom to sit without slouching. Granted, others who opted not to get the pano roof likely do not share my sentiment.

But if you are considering not getting a pano roof you owe it to yourself to sit in the rear seats of cars with and without it. If you are OK in the rear seat without it, fine. If not, you want this option before all others. If you pass on the pano roof without sitting in the back seat of a car without one you may be sorry.

The option to drive with an open sun roof may be the main reason to buy one on most cars. But not on Model S. I only open mine to demonstrate it to guests for fun, never when driving. But boy is that rear seat headroom nice when any adult rides in the back seat.
I don't open mine when driving, but I do use the vent setting when parking in the sun. I prefer this to cracking the side windows.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don’t own a car, but it’s my understanding that:

[1]

Depending on what temperatures you expect to encounter you may want to take a look at this thread if you’re considering the third row rear facing seats:

Really hot for the rear facing seats

It seems to me that above a certain exterior temperature the current AC-system unfortunately doesn’t have the capacity to keep kids comfortable in those rear facing seats…

[2]

Air suspension is nice as well, /…/ Some say there are more likely to break years down the road so have to keep that in mind.
I've driven extensively both the air suspension and coil suspension. I like the coils better and I don't have to worry about multi thousand dollar repairs down the road. Pro mechanic speaking here: Never use a complicated/expensive system to serve a simple function.
As I understand it, the critical components in the air suspension are basically four rubber bellows – one at each wheel. It’s also my understanding that all the premium brands who offer air suspension as an option use basically the same construction, so this isn’t unique to Tesla.

However; as the rubber ages, these bellows risk failing. Maybe Tesla’s service can (and perhaps will) monitor the ageing process of these bellows, but I really don’t know the specifics. Here’s two threads that might contain more info (I haven’t read them…).

Active Air Suspension: Reliability?!!

Air Suspension

Last edited:
Cross-posting from this thread:

Rear Jumpseats

…since it can perhaps offer some more perspective on the rear facing third row jump seats:

I looked into this myself [the safety of the rear facing third row jumpseats. My edit.] and found the same information. I went for the jumpseats as I routinely need a couple extra seats and this was a great option.

Living in the desert, my concern was less with crash safety and more with climate control safety. In the end, I figured even if I can't use them for 4 months out of the year, I can the rest of the year [My bold.]. Afterall, whats another 1500 after you load up this car anyway? lol.