Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to drive, Power reduced error after supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today my car was unable to start after supercharging. After disconnecting the charger cable and getting back in the car it was unable to get to get into drive mode. 3 errors came up on the screen: "Power reduced Exit and re-enter car - may restore operation" "car shutting down PULL OVER SAFELY" "Unable to Drive PULL OVER SAFELY." I was parked at a supercharger and car was powered off and same message came up. Called Tesla service and they attempted to troubleshoot but it needs to be towed out. Any idea what could have gone wrong? Car had been working without issues for over the past 8000 miles. Initially the first week after ownership the car had another error and required a pyrofuse and drive unit replacement but it was fixed quickly and had been working fine since. Came to bay area for vacation and need to work on monday and cant come back, so hope they fix it ASAP.

Attachments

• IMG_20181122_132711.jpg
    IMG_20181122_132711.jpg
    487 KB · Views: 553
Today my car was unable to start after supercharging. After disconnecting the charger cable and getting back in the car it was unable to get to get into drive mode. 3 errors came up on the screen: "Power reduced Exit and re-enter car - may restore operation" "car shutting down PULL OVER SAFELY" "Unable to Drive PULL OVER SAFELY." I was parked at a supercharger and car was powered off and same message came up. Called Tesla service and they attempted to troubleshoot but it needs to be towed out. Any idea what could have gone wrong? Car had been working without issues for over the past 8000 miles. Initially the first week after ownership the car had another error and required a pyrofuse and drive unit replacement but it was fixed quickly and had been working fine since. Came to bay area for vacation and need to work on monday and cant come back, so hope they fix it ASAP.
Oh,no! Hope they fix it quick for you!

Of all weeks and on Thanksgiving no less. Where did they tow it to? Are you sans car now, hanging out with relatives at least? Feel bad for you. Kind of like missing a connecting flight and hoping to get out on a flight soon.

Luckily I was near my wife's families home and they were able to pick us up. Tesla's service was fine and they towed the car without needing me to stick around. Hard part is that it's a big blow to my confidence in reliability of Tesla's, esp being over 400 miles away from home. I have an X that was just recently picked up from the shop and now 2 major incidents on the 3. My BMW 435i has gone 65k miles with 0 incidents. We also have had 2 i3 leases with 0 incidents. Old Lexus ran 250k miles with minimal maintenance, my dream is for Tesla to catch up to this type of reliability. Worst thing from this entire situation is that my in laws believe the fake fud news and don't believe in EVs and are all in for gas and now they have seen first hand of our Tesla needing work.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SJC3 and SMAlset
That’s too bad your in-laws feel that way. There are plenty of car manufacturers out there that have cars breakdown unexpectedly and doesn’t mean every car they make has issues. We’ve had our share of car issues in the past with our Honda Accords and Toyota Avalon. They ran fine until they didn’t and the dealership couldn’t fix until numerous visits troubleshooting. I still think of both as good cars. I wonder if all the tech/software and sensors won’t be the new “challenging” issues for cars going forward as compared to parts. Anyway I don’t think people would be buying Teslas like they are if there were consistent problems across the board with every car.

How was your Model 3 doing in filtering the air up that way with the fires? I know from the weather updates on the news that that north bay area was always worse than where we live most days. If your in-laws were driving their ICE cars, they were simply adding to the horrible air quality.

Glad to hear how Tesla handled the tow issue and hope it’s a quick fix for you.

BTW nice car color! ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: CameronB
Strange part of this situation is that yesterday I received a call saying my car was towed to the nearest service center and I would be getting a call today about status. I received a new software update this morning so I opened the app. The car was able to wake up but still shows the location as being where I left it yesterday at the supercharger. Have not received a call from service center either. If they said car was towed but in reality it was not then that would be a pretty big mistake on their end.

I have seen a post or two from owners here commenting on their GPS being "stuck" or still on one locale when they were getting towed. Don't really remember much more than that. Oh there was one owner who posted a photo from the cell app of her car's position off the coast and in the ocean. Thread had a good time with that one. Remember commenting on it at the time. Of course that Location wasn't the case, so think you likely don't have anything to worry about on that front.

I got a loaner car, but still unsure what might have happened to my car. Diagnostic people think something must have gone wrong with the inverter. The loaner is a 75 but no autopilot. Annoying owning 2 Tesla's with autopilot and being unable to use them when you need it the most and have a 460 mile trip home with a pregnant wife!

I'm not sure, but it sounds like a similar issue I experienced.
However, mine required a new Power Control Module with updated firmware.

Pyrofuse and drive train repair sounds like they might've misdiagnosed the problem the first time.

• Informative
Reactions: turtlesz
It's also unfortunate that it happens near your family members. My family keeps questioning me about my purchases. In their eyes, Teslas and all EVs are not cars that could be depend on. They don't understand why we needed to plan our trips around Supercharers and why I deal with all the issues. Even though the issues are very minor and Tesla Services fixed it all.

• Love
Reactions: Jaywlker
No contact about my car today and left voice message earlier in the day. Stopped by the service center and went around 5:40pm but service was closed and nobody was availabile who could help or give status update about what was going on with my car. Service closed on Sunday too... Looks like I have no choice but to take the loaner all the way back home to socal tomorrow morning....

No contact about my car today and left voice message earlier in the day. Stopped by the service center and went around 5:40pm but service was closed and nobody was availabile who could help or give status update about what was going on with my car. Service closed on Sunday too... Looks like I have no choice but to take the loaner all the way back home to socal tomorrow morning....

: (

How long did that take to diagnose and fix? Leaving tomorrow and havent gotten any updates about what's going on with my car.
Sorry, was out of town. Looks like you're still in limbo.
It took a couple days, then a couple more days to get the parts and get repaired.

I really hope they get yours fixed quickly. There's no reason things like this shouldn't get quickly escalated and resolved by engineering - particularly since there's lots of data from other cars with that have experienced the same errors.

Didn't get any updates till I had to reached out today. Sadly my Model X had an error message this week and had to be taken into service and there was an issue with AC compressor. 2 Teslas both being out at the same time has to be some sort of record! On my 3 it looks like the drive unit was replaced. Is that common for drive unit to fail multiple times? I had it fail and replaced when the car had under 1000 miles and now again at 9000 miles. Does not make me feel confident that it was only the drive unit that was the issue but excited to get my car back safe and healthy.

Update: Finally got my car back. There was basically no communication from Tesla unless I hounded them. Car was out for over 22 days and they initially changed the drive unit and pyrofuse again (first changed when car had <500miles) but errors continued after new unit installed while still in service. Tesla team said it was rare and never seen before but they looked at the wiring thoroughly and once again replaced drive unit and pyrofuse before getting it back to me. I wanted to pursue a buyback as it's my pregnant wife's car but they said it had to be gone for over a month before those talks come up. Received a Model S loaner but it was pretty base and lower range battery and didn't like it compared to my 3 but we didn't have to put additionl wear and tear on ours. The whole ordeal left me disappointed in service as it was a major inconvenience going to service center to pick up car, frequently calling for updates and worst of all not having HOV sticker added 1 hour to commute time for over 22 days. Nothing additional was offered for my inconvenience and I was left with a car on its 4th drive unit. Car is driving as it should now and hoping it will be fixed for good.

• Informative
Reactions: Relayer