Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to drive : Remote keyless driving says "key not present" - FIX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to tell you what I did to fix the problem where my Model X would not drive.

1) key was not detected
2) Attempted to remote start car. Command was sent successfully and said keyless driving was enabled. However, when attempting to press on brake and shift into gear, a message appeared that "key not present".

Here is what I tried:
1) replaced keyfob batter (did not work)
2) soft reboot (pressing the brake and holding two spinny wheels) ((did not work)
3) hard reboot (used the power off button in safety and security) (did not work)

Solution:
1) Disconnected the high voltage battery (using that fireman thing, it just slides out)
2) Disconnected the negative side of the 12V battery, then disconnected the positive side of the battery.
3) Wait about 20 minutes.
4) reconnect everything in reverse order...

Problem solved.

Here is a video on how to replace the 12v battery, you don't need to replace it, you just need to disconnect it. I didn't pull the battery out, I just loosed up the connectors and plugged them back in after waiting a bit.

Of course you have to remove the fascia, the boot..etc.. time to take apart was about 10 minutes to the battery..

AND... now i can change the hepa filter myself, as it is removed in part of the process...super simple to install a new one.. :)

I hope this helps somebody.. it will save you a tow to the Tesla service center.

Reactions: doghousePVD
I want to tell you what I did to fix the problem where my Model X would not drive.

1) key was not detected
2) Attempted to remote start car. Command was sent successfully and said keyless driving was enabled. However, when attempting to press on brake and shift into gear, a message appeared that "key not present".

Here is what I tried:
2) soft reboot (pressing the brake and holding two spinny wheels) ((did not work)
3) hard reboot (used the power off button in safety and security) (did not work)

Solution:
1) Disconnected the high voltage battery (using that fireman thing, it just slides out)
2) Disconnected the negative side of the 12V battery, then disconnected the positive side of the battery.

Problem solved.

Here is a video on how to replace the 12v battery, you don't need to replace it, you just need to disconnect it. I didn't pull the battery out, I just loosed up the connectors and plugged them back in after waiting a bit.

Of course you have to remove the fascia, the boot..etc.. time to take apart was about 10 minutes to the battery..

AND... now i can change the hepa filter myself, as it is removed in part of the process...super simple to install a new one.. :)

I hope this helps somebody.. it will save you a tow to the Tesla service center.
I meant

1) key was not detected

Here is what I tried:

Solution:

Problem solved.

I mean to make the title say "

Unable to drive : Remote keyless driving says "key not present" - FIX​

Attempted to remote start car. Command was sent successfully and said keyless driving was enabled. However, when attempting to press on brake and shift into gear, a message appeared that "key not present".
My 2014 Model S just did that this spring, where the remote driving activation looked like it activated, but then just complained about the key fob not being present. Instead of taking things apart, I just reported it to Tesla service, and they pushed a software update to my car, which fixed that broken functionality. Here's where I posted about it, in the mobile app thread.

Reactions: doghousePVD