Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to Factory Reset

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all I have been having a lot of issues with my car 2022 MYP on the latest FSD beta build and would like to factory reset the vehicle but the option is greyed out. Is there any way to do this via service mode and or way without calling tesla out. I tried the double wheel reboot and power off with no luck. Tried unpairing the key card and removing the phone nothing seems to work.

oddly enough I had this happen to my previous vehicle and the only way was to get mobile service come out to do it so I'm trying to avoid wasting time and waiting 3 weeks lol

First off, Factory Reset won't affect which build is installed, so the only thing you'll accomplish is erasing all your personal settings. Do you really want to do that?

If you do want to reset, make sure you're in Park, that you're not in Valet mode or some other restricted mode, and that you have a phone key or key card. If that doesn't work, I guess you'll need to contact service if you want to proceed.

First off, Factory Reset won't affect which build is installed, so the only thing you'll accomplish is erasing all your personal settings. Do you really want to do that?

If you do want to reset, make sure you're in Park, that you're not in Valet mode or some other restricted mode, and that you have a phone key or key card. If that doesn't work, I guess you'll need to contact service if you want to proceed.
Been having MCU freezing issues so yeah at this point I’m desperate to try

So weird. I don’t need to factory reset at the moment. I just want to know why mine has been greyed out the entire time I’ve had my car. Tesla service has no idea and said that they’ve never seen this issue before.
It’s funny because my new model y also has it greyed out. Not sure if it’s related to the FSD beta or not but I remember the previous model y also was in the beta but I still have no idea why this happens. Still unable to factory reset my current model y either.

It’s funny because my new model y also has it greyed out. Not sure if it’s related to the FSD beta or not but I remember the previous model y also was in the beta but I still have no idea why this happens. Still unable to factory reset my current model y either.
I’m also on beta, but everyone else I know on beta can still factory reset like normal. It drives me crazy thinking about it, then I forget about it, then I remember again… Obviously there is something written into the software somewhere to grey the button out. If Tesla service can’t figure out why, I’m assuming the only one who can would be a Tesla software engineer which is not going to happen.

I’m also on beta, but everyone else I know on beta can still factory reset like normal. It drives me crazy thinking about it, then I forget about it, then I remember again… Obviously there is something written into the software somewhere to grey the button out. If Tesla service can’t figure out why, I’m assuming the only one who can would be a Tesla software engineer which is not going to happen.
Even the technician that came out said he doesn’t know why. Maybe we on some black list lol really have no clue. If you find anything out let me know this seems to be a pretty rare issue.

Even the technician that came out said he doesn’t know why. Maybe we on some black list lol really have no clue. If you find anything out let me know this seems to be a pretty rare issue.
I just spent an hour on the phone with Tesla support. They told me that it’s normal to be greyed out for people who are both enrolled in FSD beta AND subscribe to FSD. I don’t know how accurate this is because that would mean thousands of people would have this button greyed out, and I assume there would be a lot more talk about it on here and on Reddit. The support person told me that when you factory reset, it cancels any active subscriptions that you have and since the beta software is dependent on the subscription, it doesn’t allow you to do it. That doesn’t make sense to me because you can cancel the subscription at any time…