Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to get into web site

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I appreciate the interest that some users may have in the technical underpinnings of the website, however I think what users would appreciate most is that we fix it ASAP. The issues are related to decisions made many years ago. We have learned a great deal since then.
Seems like this problem is back. Happened to me a lot the last 2 or 3 days.

So to my original point to @danny it would be nice for the site operators to acknowledge the issue and explain what efforts are being undertaken to resolve it.

I think he already did:

Sorry about this, but yea, we are aware and are working on it.

Being in the website business for over 20 years, I'll just add this from my experience:

(a) explaining the problem or issue in enough detail to satisfy people who need to know what's going on would reveal too much about the internal architecture and infrastructure which is a security risk. Or if you try to be vague about the details, people will just demand more details.

or

(ii) once you explain a problem or issue like this in detail, you suddenly have dozens of self-proclaimed experts offering you (free) help, advice, and suggestions you didn't even ask for -- all of which either you've already tried or are not relevant to your actual problem (and is worth exactly what you paid for it). And then it becomes a rabbit-hole of trying to explain what you've already tried, and what will or won't work, etc, etc, and exposing even more internal details you don't want or need to be public.

I'm confident @danny and @doug are working on the problem and will have it resolved soon. I'm sure they're alerted every time the site goes down or is unresponsive and are well aware of the problem.

Would I like to know what the actual problems are? You bet I would. But I see no benefit in asking nor demanding D&D tell us any more than they have, so I'm happy to just have TMC up when it's up and will have to live with the fact that we'll never know what the problems actually were. It's really, and literally, none of our business.

I think he already did:

Being in the website business for over 20 years, I'll just add this from my experience:

(a) explaining the problem or issue in enough detail to satisfy people who need to know what's going on would reveal too much about the internal architecture and infrastructure which is a security risk. Or if you try to be vague about the details, people will just demand more details.

or

(ii) once you explain a problem or issue like this in detail, you suddenly have dozens of self-proclaimed experts offering you (free) help, advice, and suggestions you didn't even ask for -- all of which either you've already tried or are not relevant to your actual problem (and is worth exactly what you paid for it). And then it becomes a rabbit-hole of trying to explain what you've already tried, and what will or won't work, etc, etc, and exposing even more internal details you don't want or need to be public.

I'm confident @danny and @doug are working on the problem and will have it resolved soon. I'm sure they're alerted every time the site goes down or is unresponsive and are well aware of the problem.

Would I like to know what the actual problems are? You bet I would. But I see no benefit in asking nor demanding D&D tell us any more than they have, so I'm happy to just have TMC up when it's up and will have to live with the fact that we'll never know what the problems actually were. It's really, and literally, none of our business.

This is true. However, it would be nice to get the occasional...Still working on it message. It would reduce my frustration personally.

Reactions: KJD