TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Unable to get into web site

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Merrill, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Electroman

Electroman Well-Known Member

Thanks. I agree there is no need for all the gory details, as long as things get fixed and the downtimes are far and few.

Consider moving to AWS.

2. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2019.20.4.2

I noticed it was just down for another half an hour or so. Hopefully the fixes are coming soon.

3. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

For some reason it seems to be around the same time for me after 8am for around 30 minutes.

4. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Seems as if it is around 8am for 30 minutes just did it again today.

5. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

This problem seems to happen in a 12 hours time frame, happened last night at 8pm for 30 minutes and that morning around 8am.

6. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Happened again today after 8am until a few minutes ago.

7. Electroman

8. KJD

KJD Supporting Member

Seems like this problem is back. Happened to me a lot the last 2 or 3 days.

9. PhaseWhite

PhaseWhite Member

So to my original point to @danny it would be nice for the site operators to acknowledge the issue and explain what efforts are being undertaken to resolve it. This is just the basics of communication you should have with your users when there are issues.

• Like x 1
  10. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

So fix it, we have all these people on this web site with IT expertise so why can they not fix it.

11. Need

Need Active Member

It seems to be getting worst this last week. Last year it happened rarely, but now it is like a everyday thing. Just this morning I can't connect 3 times.

• Like x 1
  12. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Yes it is very consistent at after 8am and 8pm.

13. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

I think he already did:

Being in the website business for over 20 years, I'll just add this from my experience:

(a) explaining the problem or issue in enough detail to satisfy people who need to know what's going on would reveal too much about the internal architecture and infrastructure which is a security risk. Or if you try to be vague about the details, people will just demand more details.

or

(ii) once you explain a problem or issue like this in detail, you suddenly have dozens of self-proclaimed experts offering you (free) help, advice, and suggestions you didn't even ask for -- all of which either you've already tried or are not relevant to your actual problem (and is worth exactly what you paid for it). And then it becomes a rabbit-hole of trying to explain what you've already tried, and what will or won't work, etc, etc, and exposing even more internal details you don't want or need to be public.

I'm confident @danny and @doug are working on the problem and will have it resolved soon. I'm sure they're alerted every time the site goes down or is unresponsive and are well aware of the problem.

Would I like to know what the actual problems are? You bet I would. But I see no benefit in asking nor demanding D&D tell us any more than they have, so I'm happy to just have TMC up when it's up and will have to live with the fact that we'll never know what the problems actually were. It's really, and literally, none of our business.

• Like x 4
    • Helpful x 2
  14. Electroman

I like that attitude :)

15. brandonee916

brandonee916 Member

Been having this issue for days... been spending much more time in Facebook Groups lately because of it

16. SpudLime

SpudLime Active Member

This is true. However, it would be nice to get the occasional...Still working on it message. It would reduce my frustration personally.

• Like x 1
  17. danny

danny Administrator

Still working on it.

• Like x 5
    • Helpful x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  18. SpudLime

SpudLime Active Member

Thank you and much appreciated!

19. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Moderators are standing by.
    It's not as though there were anything more productive I could do, anyway...

20. RayK

RayK Member

Site backup times?