Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to get Model 3 fixed correctly in Tucson after accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_20180610_112543.jpg
IMG_20180610_112543.jpg
IMG_20180610_112552.jpg
Here in Tucson we really only have 1 choice, thats Dans Paint and Body on 22nd. Almost 2 months later, we have the car back for the second time but still not fixed correctly. In the videos I have posted, I find is very hard to believe Dan’s did a final drive after the repairs. After returning the vehicle, Dans along with Paul, the Tucson Tesla Ranger, determined the noise to be the rear rotor. They replaced it and in the process let the battery pack go completely dead, causing the 12 volt battery to go bad and needed to be replaced ( I had send text messages to both Dans and Paul at Tesla service that the pack was getting very low and should be plugged in). This caused further delays in getting my car back. The car was returned on Friday July 25th. Pete at Dans assured me the vehicle was now fixed. After driving the car home, about 25 miles, I noticed most of the noise was gone but still heard a slight humming noise when driving straight and at speeds above 30 mph. Electric cars dont make this kind of noise. At slower speeds, I noticed what appeared to be a grinding feeling in the steering wheel when turning the vehicle in a curve on the road. In the second video, you can see the rotor spin and then stop and get hard to turn. It does the same with the tire on also. I took off the other tire on the passenger side of the car and it spun freely when turned. Im not a repair person, but it seemed fairly easy to figure this out that there was also a problem with the front rotor. This is my 3rd Tesla and would really like for my car to be fix right but I am loosing hope. Having an accident is back enough, not being able to get the vehicle fixed correctly is just uncalled for.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Thank you for sharing. That is really frustrating and I agree that it is unacceptable. Did you hit a curb at speed to cause this damage? I wasn't aware you could bend a rotor by impact like that, just familiar with warping due to heat. Kudos for the home lift. You've got the hot setup! I'm guessing if you had the choice, you wouldn't have gone to that shop in the first place, no?

There are some risk factors that I want to see reduced before I make the plunge on a $50k car. I watch these boards to track these types of reports, good and bad.

- availability of replacement parts
- service center performance
- collision repair centers (quantity/selection , quality , turn-around time , training issues)
- failure modes and key reliability issues

I love everything about the car. I am not sold in any way shape or form on the support infrastructure for repair and service yet. This will be my daily. I need access to local shops I trust to get it fixed and back in my driveway in quick order should a fender bender occur.

Best of luck. Hopefully that's an easy additional fix. Let us know the lead time on a new rotor.

Reactions: repoanything
Thank you for sharing. That is really frustrating and I agree that it is unacceptable. Did you hit a curb at speed to cause this damage? I wasn't aware you could bend a rotor by impact like that, just familiar with warping due to heat. Kudos for the home lift. You've got the hot setup! I'm guessing if you had the choice, you wouldn't have gone to that shop in the first place, no?

There are some risk factors that I want to see reduced before I make the plunge on a $50k car. I watch these boards to track these types of reports, good and bad.

- availability of replacement parts
- service center performance
- collision repair centers (quantity/selection , quality , turn-around time , training issues)
- failure modes and key reliability issues

I love everything about the car. I am not sold in any way shape or form on the support infrastructure for repair and service yet. This will be my daily. I need access to local shops I trust to get it fixed and back in my driveway in quick order should a fender bender occur.

Best of luck. Hopefully that's an easy additional fix. Let us know the lead time on a new rotor.

Dan's was the only choice in Tucson. Otherwise have to go to Phoenix, where there is 4 shops. As for the accident, it was a very hard hit on the curb. My wife though it was a race car and tried to turn a corner (not a curve :) ) at about 50. Im sure had it not been an electric car with the heavy battery, it would have rolled. There was $6500 in damage to the suspension parts. Cant really tell by the pictures.

I will say, the parts came in very quickly! less then a week. I was very surprised so kudos to Tesla on that. I have never had an issue with Tesla Service and the Tesla Rangers here in Tucson. Had this not been a Tesla, im am very sure the situation on the accident would not be the same.