TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Unable to Get Service for MAJOR problems

Discussion in 'Model S' started by sublimejackman, Jun 27, 2019.

1. sublimejackman

sublimejackman Supporting Member

I am two years into a 3 year lease of a Model S. My driver's seat intermittently stops working preventing software updates. I have brought it in 3 times. Still broken. Screen yellowing. Drivers door handle stuck out. The charge port cover requires a credit card to jimmy open. And now my front motor is making a really not good sound. I cannot call anyone, no matter what zip code I put in on the website, it wants to send me to Lancaster, PA (100 miles away) and the live chat never responds. There is no longer a phone # to call and I'm exhausted. The last time I just showed up to the service center, they had the car while I drove some POS Audi for a week and "fixed" the seat but now it's happening again.

This is outrageous. I talked to my lawyer and I thinking about potentially forming a class with other owners that have had similar experiences.

What the hell else can I do?!

• Love x 1
  2. trm2

trm2 Member

• Informative x 1
  3. flyeyes

flyeyes Member

I've had similar frustrations trying to reach someone. I've found the online chat usually works, but only seems to work for me on PC running windows. I've been advised to just schedule a service appointment somewhere (it doesn't really matter when or which service center) and they will reach out so you can explain what you need.

In spite of the difficulties in reaching anyone, I have to say that the actual service experience has been uniformly excellent. Twice in 4.5 years, I've had a problem while traveling. Both times Tesla was able to react quickly and efficiently, getting me back on the road with the minimum possible delay.

Every individual human I've interacted with has been pleasant, reasonable, and able to help. I have zero complaints at all with the Tesla employees I've met, and I'm generally pretty picky about customer service.

The problem is a very poor system for communicating.

In your case, I'd just schedule an appointment at whatever service center you can, and then when they reach out you'll have a live person who can probably help.

• Love x 1
  4. sublimejackman

Goes straight to voicemail. Called roadside and they just send me to a voicemail.

• Informative x 1
  5. SMAlset

SMAlset Well-Known Member

Why haven't you Scheduled Service through your app? They will either set you up at a service center or if the issue could be handled by mobile they will schedule that. In the meantime Scheduling thorugh the app will let them take a look at the car remotely to see what they can assess from their end before service happens.

Not sure how a seat issue prevents software updates. Screen yellowing is a recognized problem that they tried fixing with a different replacement but the issue would still recur. They know about it and have said they are testing out another approach.

• Like x 3
  6. trm2

trm2 Member

Ah, so basically, yes.

• Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  7. sublimejackman

For some reason the module that controls seat movement is required for updates. The screen yellowing is relatively new. Tried the app and the website, both want to send me 100mi away. When I had similar frustrations the last 3 times with the seat, I just showed up each time but it took weeks between all the visits to fix it. I want them to be ready at the correct location to fix the seat. Maryland has a no lemon law that if I bring a new car in 3 times for the same issue, they have to replace the car or refund the money. I'm thinking about doing that but the process can take months. Now that the front motor is making a fairly scary noise and I'm two versions behind on firmware, it looks like I will be forced to endure another week+ of not driving the car I pay over a $1000 a month for.

8. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

How does the drivers seat no working prevent software updates? I really want know because I'm about to root my car to prevent software updates and if there was another way, I'd probably do that instead.

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  9. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

More info please. I really want to prevent updates. I'm on 8.1 (2018.25.8) from last year and don't ever want to update it.

10. whitex

whitex Well-Known Member

No, Elon reinvented it - turns out having customers talk to computers and answering machines only, saves on number of repairs Tesla has to pay for, and saves on live people to talk with customers. I think he's planning to patent this idea and license it to Comcast.:p

• Funny x 9
    • Informative x 1
  11. dark cloud

dark cloud Active Member

You only have to go 100 miles? What is the issue?

Seriously though what you can do is just drive it for another year and return it. I don't know why you would worry about a yellow screen or other items you won't have to worry about in a year.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  12. alcibiades

alcibiades Member

If it makes you feel any better, they found and documented a fault in my DAS and yet refuse to replace it. Car is still under warranty.

Cost-cutting > safety & the law.

• Informative x 1
  13. markb1

markb1 Active Member

Maybe it also reduces the number of cars they have to manufacture! I'm certainly not going to buy another Tesla until they get their act back together!

• Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  14. Big Earl

Big Earl bnkwupt

I’m able to put an Olney, MD street address into my Tesla app and get an appointment for July 2nd.

852448E9-988F-4CA0-A50A-C3EC2BA142A0.png

• Like x 2
  15. P100D_Me

P100D_Me Member

I beginning to think it's not possible this can happen before the stench of how bad it 'can' be to own one of these cars spreads around.
    The fact they are selling in much greater numbers makes this situation worse, stories of waiting a month for glass replacements only to be sent the wrong one and then waiting another month. These warranty denials for things that should be covered.

Why I think it is not going to get any better is the turnover rate they have with experienced people from the automotive sector, they don't seem willing to change their ways which I think is going to become their downfall. I can tell you if one of the traditional manufacturers made an EV priced like a P100D with the same performance I wouldn't give Tesla a second thought when it came to replace mine (which will happen before the warranty is out).
    The shoddy software updates, rattles, missing standard tech features, yellow screen, 'beta auto wipers', groaning brakes (it's normal apparently), half working features.....I still love the car for it's performance but in other aspects I'd get better operation from a $15K Chinese car.

• Love x 1
  16. richrootes

richrootes Member

But now you’ve gone and ruined another class action hissy fit!

• Disagree x 1
  17. Mirlen

Mirlen Member

I had the 'stuck' charge port door issue, it turned out to just be a simple adjustment that you can do. There's a small circular 'button' on the pointy side of the door car-side, try unscrewing this a bit and it should stop sticking.

• Like x 1
  18. swegman

swegman Active Member

The app is terrible for setting up an appointment. I wanted to make an appointment with a service center 22 miles from where I currently am. The app gave me the option of selecting either Miami (which is 60 miles away) or Orlando (which is 190 miles away). I selected the Miami location as it was the closest of the two options given to me, but in the notes I indicated I want the appointment with the West Palm Beach service center that is 22 miles away.

After hearing nothing for 4 days, I tried to call the nearby service center but all you can do is leave a voicemail message. So I then called Tesla’s 800 number and waited over 30 minutes to speak to a person. The Tesla agent checks her computer and says she can’t find an appointment for me. I read her the email I received 4 days ago confirming the appointment. The agent checks further and informs me the appointment was canceled by Tesla with no reason given. The agent stated she would contact the nearby service center to have them call me.

That’s not the way to run a business.

• Helpful x 1
    • Love x 1
  19. Dan Baldwin

Dan Baldwin Member

The way Tesla does service is pretty poor. Why make fun of a frustrated owner ?

• Like x 3
    • Love x 2
  20. whitex

whitex Well-Known Member

Yea, but that only affects repeat buyers, most buyers today are not previous owners. Losing repeat buyers may be cheaper than fixing the problems.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1