Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to Get Service for MAJOR problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a long-time Tesla owner (since Jan 2013), overall we've had a good experience with Tesla service on our 3 Tesla vehicles.

This year, Tesla is implementing multiple changes to reduce the amount of time their staff spend to support each vehicle, better positioning them to more rapidly expand capacity as the number of vehicles sold continues to increase, and we should expect some rough spots during this transition until they get this all worked out.

Phone access to the service centers is being replaced with the smartphone/online apps for scheduling appointments, and in-service status updates sent to your phone.

Loaners are being replaced with ride sharing credits.

Mobile service vehicles will be performing most of the service.

Recommended maintenance, which was determined to be unnecessary, is being replaced by on demand service, eliminating some unnecessary service visits.

And through the end of the month, Musk has mobilized everyone possible to help deliver as many vehicles as they can before the end of the quarter - which may impact service quality if staff has been diverted to support deliveries. Tesla has always gone through the quarterly delivery push, though there is more urgency this time because they missed their numbers last quarter - and need to re-establish profitability. When Musk tried to take the company private, part of the reason was to eliminate the quarterly reporting - and this artificial push for deliveries every 3 months.

Tesla continues to have strong customer loyalty - because they built vehicles the owners enjoy driving coupled with good service experiences.

What we've seen over the last few months is an exception - and we should expect it will take a while for Tesla to completely adjust to the changes being implemented to get back to quality service levels.

Phone access to the service centers is being replaced with the smartphone/online apps for scheduling appointments, and in-service status updates sent to your phone.
I have no issues with this, as long as we are given a good range of times/dates to select from. The current app does NOT provide sufficient choice.
Loaners are being replaced with ride sharing credits.
This, in a word, sucks. Some of us are too far away.
Mobile service vehicles will be performing most of the service.
Awesome when possible.
Recommended maintenance, which was determined to be unnecessary, is being replaced by on demand service, eliminating some unnecessary service visits.
I will probably still get the 50K-mile service, if nothing than to change the old battery coolant to the new formulation.
And through the end of the month, Musk has mobilized everyone possible to help deliver as many vehicles as they can before the end of the quarter - which may impact service quality if staff has been diverted to support deliveries. Tesla has always gone through the quarterly delivery push, though there is more urgency this time because they missed their numbers last quarter - and need to re-establish profitability. When Musk tried to take the company private, part of the reason was to eliminate the quarterly reporting - and this artificial push for deliveries every 3 months.
Sucks if you're unfortunate enough to need roadside assistance at the end of a quarter, and a crappy way to treat your customers - but Tesla can't continue to lose cash every quarter.
Tesla continues to have strong customer loyalty - because they built vehicles the owners enjoy driving coupled with good service experiences.

What we've seen over the last few months is an exception - and we should expect it will take a while for Tesla to completely adjust to the changes being implemented to get back to quality service levels.
But they've been experiencing these "growing pains" for... how long has it been since the launch of the Model 3?

• Love
Reactions: neroden
You only have to go 100 miles? What is the issue?

Seriously though what you can do is just drive it for another year and return it. I don't know why you would worry about a yellow screen or other items you won't have to worry about in a year.

1. I'm paying for the software updates and door handles that retract into the car without a loud clunk after 5min of driving.
2. The front motor is starting to sound pretty bad, probably a safety issue.
3. No a good look jamming a credit card into the charging port twice a day
4. Since I'm 5'5", without a moving seat, literally no one else can drive the car
5. Do I even need to address the issue with the closest available service being 100+ miles away when one of the motors is making a noise?

I’m able to put an Olney, MD street address into my Tesla app and get an appointment for July 2nd.

View attachment 424087

Yep. I kept checking the app last night and around midnight I was able to schedule service in Rockville for July 2nd.

It took a full week of phone calls, emails and attempted live chats. This is awful. There is no way a simple call center saves enough money to warrant this. Also, I have serious concerns that they are going to want to keep my car for a week+ again.

I will report back once I drop it off on Tuesday.

• Love
Yep. I kept checking the app last night and around midnight I was able to schedule service in Rockville for July 2nd.

It took a full week of phone calls, emails and attempted live chats. This is awful. There is no way a simple call center saves enough money to warrant this. Also, I have serious concerns that they are going to want to keep my car for a week+ again.

I will report back once I drop it off on Tuesday.

So that you aren’t surprised when you get there, they will likely offer you Uber credits instead of a loaner. Fortunately, they’re very generous with the Uber credits, so you can use Uber Black instead of riding in a dented Altima or whatever. If your car is expected to be in service for an extended period of time, they might be able to get a loaner for you.

Uber is not a sufficient alternative if you have kids to drive around, especially with car seats. You can't realistically uber your kid to/from school. We paid $100k for these cars, not providing a loaner when the car is in for a DEFECT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY is outrageous.

Uber is not a sufficient alternative if you have kids to drive around, especially with car seats. You can't realistically uber your kid to/from school. We paid $100k for these cars, not providing a loaner when the car is in for a DEFECT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY is outrageous.

That's a good point. I have to take my son to camp all next week. Not mention getting around with him and a booster seat on the fourth July would be a nightmare. Hopefully they have loaner for my case. Not that I wouldn't mind Uber credits for the weekend :p

More info please. I really want to prevent updates. I'm on 8.1 (2018.25.8) from last year and don't ever want to update it.

Yeah, if you have the new seats in a Model S, the plug under the driver's seat that is closest to the center console is for seat control. Apparently the way seat profiles work is that all commands are routed through the MCU. If you unplug that connector, the seat wont move and will prevent updates.

If you really want to get creative, you could probably figure out which wire provides power for the seat module and put a switch on it. Then you could reach under the seat, flip a switch, change profiles then switch it back off.

Yeah, if you have the new seats in a Model S, the plug under the driver's seat that is closest to the center console is for seat control. Apparently the way seat profiles work is that all commands are routed through the MCU. If you unplug that connector, the seat wont move and will prevent updates.

If you really want to get creative, you could probably figure out which wire provides power for the seat module and put a switch on it. Then you could reach under the seat, flip a switch, change profiles then switch it back off.

Interesting but as a professional software engineer working primarily in embedded systems for 31 years, I can't even begin to imagine how the seat control and software updates to the MCU could be remotely related.

Where did you hear this? Is your source credible? When you say newer seats, which newer seats? I have a 2015 P85D with next gen seats but not new enough to have the power headrest.

So that you aren’t surprised when you get there, they will likely offer you Uber credits instead of a loaner. Fortunately, they’re very generous with the Uber credits, so you can use Uber Black instead of riding in a dented Altima or whatever. If your car is expected to be in service for an extended period of time, they might be able to get a loaner for you.

Generous enough to uber me back on fourth on my 260 mile round trip commute? I had my cv shafts replaced last year in April. They didn't offer me "credits" but they did ask if they could call an uber and I asked them if the uber would take me 130 miles to home which was my next destination. 5 minutes later I got not just a rental but an actual Tesla loaner (not from Enterprise)....it had been ages.

• Love
When I took my car in to the Decatur, Ga service center several months ago, they didn't have a loaner for me so they got me an Enterprise rental for the couple days it took to fix my issue. Is that no longer something they do?

Interesting but as a professional software engineer working primarily in embedded systems for 31 years, I can't even begin to imagine how the seat control and software updates to the MCU could be remotely related.

Where did you hear this? Is your source credible? When you say newer seats, which newer seats? I have a 2015 P85D with next gen seats but not new enough to have the power headrest.

I don't have the error log but unless there is some weird coincidence, it's the seat. When the seat won't move the software updates 100% fail. When the seat decides it wants to move the updates 100% succeed. This has been happening since November of 2017. I know it's the plug next to the center console because when I push it in and hold it place with my hand, the seat used to start moving again. Now no matter what, it won't move. If it wasn't under warranty, I probably could fix it myself.

I have the seats with the moving headrest. I know the older ones did not move. There may be newer ones than the ones I have. I can only speak to my experience.

Last edited:
I don't have the error log but unless there is some weird coincidence, it's the seat. When the seat won't move the software updates 100% fail. When the seat decides it wants to move the updates 100% succeed. This has been happening since November of 2017. I know it's the plug next to the center console because when I push it in and hold it place with my hand, the seat used to start moving again. Now no matter what, it won't move. If it wasn't under warranty, I probably could fix it myself.

I have the seats with the moving headrest. I know the older ones did not move. There may be newer ones than the ones I have. I can only speak to my experience.

Maybe a co-incidence. Maybe some some strange safety related lockout. I can't imagine it would prevent downloading and staging. I could see it perhaps preventing it from installing. Is that what's happening? It's failing to install when you try?

Unplugging this one will prevent software updates.

Attachments

• IMG_20190628_155814.jpg
    IMG_20190628_155814.jpg
    765.1 KB · Views: 70
Generous enough to uber me back on fourth on my 260 mile round trip commute? I had my cv shafts replaced last year in April. They didn't offer me "credits" but they did ask if they could call an uber and I asked them if the uber would take me 130 miles to home which was my next destination. 5 minutes later I got not just a rental but an actual Tesla loaner (not from Enterprise)....it had been ages.

They still have Tesla loaners available through Enterprise for people who really need them. Families with children, people with a long way to the service center, etc. But if you can get by with $500 worth of Uber credits for a couple of days (I was offered more when our car took an extra day, which I declined because I had plenty left), that’s what they’ll do.

I have no issues with this, as long as we are given a good range of times/dates to select from. The current app does NOT provide sufficient choice.
App will never be sufficient. Today, you can't even find out prices of services/parts via the app (say you want new tires). Another thing app will not do is give you any tech support, or pre-diagnosis so maybe the parts you most likely need will be available. Today's model is schedule an appointment a month away, then come ask your questions, then leave your car on the lot until there is a slot available to get it in the shop and/or until the parts you need arrive. This only works if you are a billionaire and don't care about the prices or how long before your car is fixed.

This, in a word, sucks. Some of us are too far away.
No kidding, some people live far away (for me >$100 for round trip home from SC), and some also do a lot more driving (my wife shuttling kids around to activities).

Awesome when possible.
Agreed, while service center visit quality has dropped significantly, mobile service, at least in my experience, continues to be great, except for wait times of course.

I will probably still get the 50K-mile service, if nothing than to change the old battery coolant to the new formulation.
Not sure this would be any help. SC's are so overloaded they will do the bare minimum, suggesting you postpone doing as many services as possible to "next time", or not at all. In the case of battery, it's under warranty for 8 years, so if new coolant formulation was important, they'd be recommending it, which they are not.

Sucks if you're unfortunate enough to need roadside assistance at the end of a quarter, and a crappy way to treat your customers - but Tesla can't continue to lose cash every quarter.
Continue to operate like that and soon enough you'll get a reputation from which you will not be able to dig yourself out of.

But they've been experiencing these "growing pains" for... how long has it been since the launch of the Model 3?
Queue Elon singing the now bankrupt Toys-R-Us jingle.... "I don't wanna to grow up..." ;)