Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to have BOTH my Model X and Garage Door Remote work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model X has been programmed to open my garage door ever since I purchased her with no issues. I recently purchased a garage remote for my wife and connected it to the garage door. Suddenly my Model X stopped being able to open the garage. So I reprogrammed it using the garage remote I purchased for my wife and now my Model X works, but the garage remote no longer works. It seems only one of them will work at a time. Has anyone had this issue?

My Model X has been programmed to open my garage door ever since I purchased her with no issues. I recently purchased a garage remote for my wife and connected it to the garage door. Suddenly my Model X stopped being able to open the garage. So I reprogrammed it using the garage remote I purchased for my wife and now my Model X works, but the garage remote no longer works. It seems only one of them will work at a time. Has anyone had this issue?
The garage door opener should be able to handle multiply remotes with no problems. How old is the garage door opener?

How are you adding the cars? Are you pointing the remote at the cars and learning the codes?
Does your manual remote still work.
As @ATPMSD indicated, it sound as if you might be resetting the opener when adding the new car.

I know it works absolutely fine on both my cars.

I also know that if I accidentally erase the door's memory, I've got to readd my remotes.

Most garage door openers have a limit on the number of remotes they can store. Older ones I have owned were limited to 3 but my current ones handle up to 5. I now have a keypad, HomeLink in two cars, and two remotes with buttons for each door. Once you hit the limit, if you add another remote, you will overwrite one of the previously stored remotes. However, it sounds more like you are erasing all stored remotes as described above instead of hitting the limit.

Most garage door openers have a limit on the number of remotes they can store. Older ones I have owned were limited to 3 but my current ones handle up to 5. I now have a keypad, HomeLink in two cars, and two remotes with buttons for each door. Once you hit the limit, if you add another remote, you will overwrite one of the previously stored remotes. However, it sounds more like you are erasing all stored remotes as described above instead of hitting the limit.
When you program the HomeLink controller in the car, aren't you simply creating a clone of the remote you used to program it? I did not think that counted as a separate remote.

Add just for updates.

I just added an additional remote and had to repeat the add process several times to get to take. I'm sure I did at least one long press on the "Learn" button. I'll report later if I cleared out the other remotes.

Just in case it matters, Homelike on Ford, Tesla, inside door opener and hand held remote. Newer Genie door opener

I have always had to set up HomeLink to record a portion of the rolling code from a button remote then add the HomeLink as an additional remote to the opener. The code is designed to NOT be clonable. Otherwise anyone could capture the code when you open your garage door then come back later and use it.

Reactions: ATPMSD