Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to login to Spotify

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my M3 LR on 6/19/22 and am very happy overall with the purchase and its performance so far. However, Spotify has been an issue for me. I have a non-paid account but subscribe to premium connectivity. Much like many of you, I assume, with my first Tesla I spent a considerable amount of time researching via YouTube videos and online articles about the $57k purchase I was about to invest in over the next 5 years and all its capabilities. Needless to say, I was intrigued and excited to accept delivery and start driving my new car.

Onto the issue….Spotify worked for me for the first 2 weeks, but then suddenly shut down. By “shut down,” I mean it asks me for login info & when I try to login it tells me I can’t login & posts a link below which offers me help with logging into my account. When I click that link, it opens up my premium connectivity browser to Spotify.com. I then noticed there is an option to “Log In” on the spotify.com site, so I entered the same exact credentials I tried to enter previously on my Tesla Spotify app and…..wait for it…….I successfully logged in! So, in short…..I am able to login on my phone, on my iPad, and on the internet, but somehow not able to login on the Tesla Spotify app?!?! Anyone else having this issue? I tried a soft reset, but no luck…..brought my car into the Tesla dealership and they said one of their tech’s was able to login using their login credentials so they didn’t see anything wrong. I don’t think it’s just a Spotify-Tesla issue, am I wrong?

I honestly don’t even listen to Spotify regularly, but given it’s one of the few apps my car allows I’m extremely disappointed that it doesn’t work the way it should…..especially considering that it’s a simple app on a nearly $60k car…a little ridiculous to be honest.

Again, I love my M3LR, just a little frustrated. Only complaints so far are this issue, more than expected battery degradation when parked, and paint quality is absolutely horrible. Other than that, love my M3LR. Anyone else having this Spotify issue?

Reactions: SWIPE
Only complaints so far are this issue, more than expected battery degradation when parked

If your "battery degradation when parked" (which is not battery degradation, but battery drain) is "more than expected when parked", its likely you are using sentry mode, or cabin overheat protection (if your drain is more than about 3 miles a day).

Sentry mode will use 1-2 miles per HOUR, and that is the expected amount of battery drain (which, again, is not battery degradation).

As for your spotify issue, Spotify in a tesla requires a paid spotify account. Thats why you cant login:

However, Spotify has been an issue for me. I have a non-paid account but subscribe to premium connectivity.

Yes, it requires a paid spotify account.

============================

(relevant text)

Features​

Will cars with Standard Connectivity still receive over-the-air software updates?
Yes. All cars have access to over-the-air software updates. Learn more about over-the-air software updates and how to check for the latest version.

Will Standard Connectivity affect in-car maps and routing?
No. All cars with Standard Connectivity will continue to receive the same core maps & navigation functionality as cars with Premium Connectivity, including traffic-based routing, Trip Planner and Supercharger stall availability. Premium Connectivity will add satellite-view maps and live traffic visualization.

What music & media are available with Standard Connectivity?
Standard Connectivity offers Bluetooth® pairing, FM radio, Sirius XM capability in North America (for XM-enabled and configured cars) and playback from a USB drive.

Premium Connectivity is required for in-car streaming music & media over cellular.

A paid subscription to streaming services is required to access music and media streaming for both Standard and Premium Connectivity.

=============================================

So, There isnt a spotify issue with your car. You need to subscribe to spotify (premium connectivity does not give you a premium spotify subscription). You actually do not have to have premium connectivity itself, if you are willing to use your phone as a hotspot (as in NOT use streaming media over the cars cellular).

If your "battery degradation when parked" (which is not battery degradation, but battery drain) is "more than expected when parked", its likely you are using sentry mode, or cabin overheat protection (if your drain is more than about 3 miles a day).

Sentry mode will use 1-2 miles per HOUR, and that is the expected amount of battery drain (which, again, is not battery degradation).

As for your spotify issue, Spotify in a tesla requires a paid spotify account. Thats why you cant login:

(relevant text)

Features​

Will cars with Standard Connectivity still receive over-the-air software updates?
Yes. All cars have access to over-the-air software updates. Learn more about over-the-air software updates and how to check for the latest version.

No. All cars with Standard Connectivity will continue to receive the same core maps & navigation functionality as cars with Premium Connectivity, including traffic-based routing, Trip Planner and Supercharger stall availability. Premium Connectivity will add satellite-view maps and live traffic visualization.

Standard Connectivity offers Bluetooth® pairing, FM radio, Sirius XM capability in North America (for XM-enabled and configured cars) and playback from a USB drive.

Premium Connectivity is required for in-car streaming music & media over cellular.

A paid subscription to streaming services is required to access music and media streaming for both Standard and Premium Connectivity.

So, There isnt a spotify issue with your car. You need to subscribe to spotify (premium connectivity does not give you a premium spotify subscription). You actually do not have to have premium connectivity itself, if you are willing to use your phone as a hotspot (as in NOT use streaming media over the cars cellular).
Got it, thank you so much. I guess I just didn't see how my free Spotify wouldn't work if I had premium connectivity. It certainly doesn't work like a cell phone. Appreciate the response, thanks again.

(relevant text)

Features​

Also, I typically do not use sentry mode, but do have cabin overheat protection on. I will play with the settings and see if that helps, as losing 20 "miles" while parked for 9 hours is a bit much. Thanks again.

Also, I typically do not use sentry mode, but do have cabin overheat protection on. I will play with the settings and see if that helps, as losing 20 "miles" while parked for 9 hours is a bit much. Thanks again.

Cabin overheat protection will cause that amount of battery drain. if you dont have either sentry or cabin overheat protection on, you can get the drain to be about 2-3 miles per day (per 24 hour period). The car doesnt "need" cabin overheat protection. All cars get extraordinarily hot inside, the main difference here is the screen (I use a sun shade in the windshield) and the fact that we know how hot it is in there because the car tells us, where we didnt know for other cars.

I took delivery of my M3 LR on 6/19/22 and am very happy overall with the purchase and its performance so far. However, Spotify has been an issue for me. I have a non-paid account but subscribe to premium connectivity. Much like many of you, I assume, with my first Tesla I spent a considerable amount of time researching via YouTube videos and online articles about the $57k purchase I was about to invest in over the next 5 years and all its capabilities. Needless to say, I was intrigued and excited to accept delivery and start driving my new car.

Onto the issue….Spotify worked for me for the first 2 weeks, but then suddenly shut down. By “shut down,” I mean it asks me for login info & when I try to login it tells me I can’t login & posts a link below which offers me help with logging into my account. When I click that link, it opens up my premium connectivity browser to Spotify.com. I then noticed there is an option to “Log In” on the spotify.com site, so I entered the same exact credentials I tried to enter previously on my Tesla Spotify app and…..wait for it…….I successfully logged in! So, in short…..I am able to login on my phone, on my iPad, and on the internet, but somehow not able to login on the Tesla Spotify app?!?! Anyone else having this issue? I tried a soft reset, but no luck…..brought my car into the Tesla dealership and they said one of their tech’s was able to login using their login credentials so they didn’t see anything wrong. I don’t think it’s just a Spotify-Tesla issue, am I wrong?

I honestly don’t even listen to Spotify regularly, but given it’s one of the few apps my car allows I’m extremely disappointed that it doesn’t work the way it should…..especially considering that it’s a simple app on a nearly $60k car…a little ridiculous to be honest.

Again, I love my M3LR, just a little frustrated. Only complaints so far are this issue, more than expected battery degradation when parked, and paint quality is absolutely horrible. Other than that, love my M3LR. Anyone else having this Spotify issue?
When you created your Spotify premium account, how did you login? I was having a similar issue and the root cause was that my premium account was linked to my FB login as opposed to logging in through an actual email. The Tesla Spotify app doesn’t like FB usernames so all I did was clicked on my account on my phone that is signed in to Spotify using my FB credentials and beneath the numbered username it should show this crazy string of numbers and letter that they’ve labeled as the “email”. You can re-associate that email to a different email that has not been previously linked to Spotify (I created a new gmail account specifically for Spotify). Once you’ve done that you can go through the process of resetting your password via that new email. Once I had done that, the Tesla Spotify app connected to my account successfully. I know this was long but I hope it helps!

I am also unable to log in to my Spotify Premium account in the Tesla )I have premium connectivity) it just keeps saying 'cannot log in, try again later'. I tried changing languages and doing soft reset according to a couple of youtube videos where a lot of people reported success but this does not work for me?

I got my 2022 MYLR at end of May. Logged into my Spotify Family account in the car using my email address and everything worked fine until August. Starting around that time, I would get in car and select something in Spotify and I would get the spinning circle. Eventually I would have to hit LOGOUT and log back in. Then it would do it again later that day or the next day. Or maybe be fine for a few days. I did some checking and in my Spotify account there is a DEVICE code (all numbers) that Spotify says you should use instead of your email but use your normal password when logging into devices versus logging into your Spotify account on the internet in a browser. Looking at my Spotify app on my iPhone, I see that "device" number as USERNAME. Once I did that, I have only had 1 issue and I think that was a Wifi/Cellular issues where I hit a dead spot.

I got my 2022 MYLR at end of May. Logged into my Spotify Family account in the car using my email address and everything worked fine until August. Starting around that time, I would get in car and select something in Spotify and I would get the spinning circle. Eventually I would have to hit LOGOUT and log back in. Then it would do it again later that day or the next day. Or maybe be fine for a few days. I did some checking and in my Spotify account there is a DEVICE code (all numbers) that Spotify says you should use instead of your email but use your normal password when logging into devices versus logging into your Spotify account on the internet in a browser. Looking at my Spotify app on my iPhone, I see that "device" number as USERNAME. Once I did that, I have only had 1 issue and I think that was a Wifi/Cellular issues where I hit a dead spot.

Thanks All!
I’ll try that as I had the same issues in September too. Not a big issue as I’ve been using my Iphone music via BT and the USB (upgraded t parts module) and that Orange app “Top Hits” mainly.
Will try that Spotify “fix” this week.

I am also unable to log in to my Spotify Premium account in the Tesla )I have premium connectivity) it just keeps saying 'cannot log in, try again later'. I tried changing languages and doing soft reset according to a couple of youtube videos where a lot of people reported success but this does not work for me?
I am also having the same issue. Premium account with premium connectivity.
Did you find any solution? The driver part is my wife has another profile on the Tesla and her Spotify works just fine on her driver profile. I’ve tried resetting the car, changing my password twice. Nothing works. Thanks!