Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to login Youtube

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Point your browser to this forum, and try to log in to the forum using the Google login option. That's been the standard advice from me at least. If Google now broke OAuth login (used to sign-in "using Google" on third party sites), then holy crap, I have no words and there would no longer be a usable solution to this...

You don't have to fully log-in to the TMC forum using Google (you would have to have previously linked your Google account to your TMC forum account for that to work), you just have to enter your Google login and get connected there. Once you get to the page saying something like "do you want to allow this site to use your information", etc etc, or TMC asking you to create an account/username... you can close the browser and try YouTube from there. It should work...

Point your browser to this forum, and try to log in to the forum using the Google login option. That's been the standard advice from me at least. If Google now broke OAuth login (used to sign-in "using Google" on third party sites), then holy crap, I have no words and there would no longer be a usable solution to this...

You don't have to fully log-in to the TMC forum using Google (you would have to have previously linked your Google account to your TMC forum account for that to work), you just have to enter your Google login and get connected there. Once you get to the page saying something like "do you want to allow this site to use your information", etc etc, or TMC asking you to create an account/username... you can close the browser and try YouTube from there. It should work...
No, I encountered the same issue. It seemed like any sites with Google login no longer works. It was working fine until 2 days ago.

Attachments

• IMG_20210130_001330[1].jpg
    IMG_20210130_001330[1].jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 109
  • Informative
Reactions: FalconFour
No, I encountered the same issue. It seemed like any sites with Google login no longer works. It was working fine until 2 days ago.
oh my god

... so this is the end? Oh we really need to raise hell with Google then.

Googling "google oauth browser or app may not be secure" results in a trove of different applications and places where this issue raises its ugly head (like I said, it's a Google problem, not Tesla - but Tesla somewhat indirectly). It seems like it has its roots in being that Tesla built the Chromium browser core with "debugging enabled" - which, in turn, causes it to not be secure (as an enormous amount of unsavory hacking-like things are possible with debugging enabled). But the debugging mode may need to be enabled so Tesla can render off-screen and pass input to the browser engine through non-conventional methods - or maybe to flip media codecs on/off in "real time" to meet regulartory requirements (thus why media works in Theater mode, though you're still using the exact same browser as the "Browser" toy).

There doesn't seem to be a clear solution to this - most other applications this applies to are PC-based, so someone can "just" use a different browser for their app to work. Here, though, we don't have any options. The browser we get is the only browser we've got.

So unless we can convince Google (good freaking luck) to drop this shenanigan or to offer a way to log-in using an outside pairing (like how you log into YouTube on smart TVs), we're kinda at the whim of either Google or Tesla, both of which seem equally unresponsive.

Given that it completely breaks any ability to use YouTube as intended, it seems like this should have some priority.

A big thread of hundreds of people shouting about this problem in different applications is here: "This browser or app may not be secure" error when trying to sign in with Google on desktop apps - Google Account Community - notice that a recent change around the beginning of 2021 prompted a flood of new cries about a recent change that broke this workaround, leaving no valid workaround.

So what will the fix be? Be able to sign in to YT directly? Hope so, since I don't have a 'dropbox' account. For now, I just watch YT without signing in; not that big of a deal for me on the car.
Remember, none of this has to do with the site in question - just finding a site that has the "sign in with Google" option. Once you sign-in, if you don't have an account, you can abort the sign-up process and you'll still be signed-in to Google (thus YouTube). So even if you don't have a Plex, TMC, or Dropbox account, you can -- er, used to be able to -- use those sites' sign-in page to sign-in to Google. It's actually signing-in to Google (you're not giving your account to TMC or Plex or whatever), but it used a method that Google still allowed to be done this way.

It's convoluted, complicated, senseless tech-company logic that, honestly, is probably trying to fight-back against companies that are doing authentication the wrong & lazy way (I worked for a company that implemented the wrong & lazy way for Google sign-in in their app - looked like a phishing page in an embedded browser!), and that's solving a bigger problem while creating "smaller problems" (us) along the way. So it's a greater good thing, but creating frustrating problems like this in the process. Forcing companies to implement Google sign-in the correct way is nice.

When this is "fixed", 100% certain the YouTube sign-in will be natural and as-intended - just signing in through the YT site itself, or maybe through another straightforward technique... but now that it's completely broken, Tesla has no choice but to give it the five minutes of attention it needs to be fixed. That's nice.

As a small aside, there was another reply in my Reddit thread saying that yes, Dropbox login is now broken as well, but NOW TRY RUNESCAPE :D:p:D:p No, really, that's the advice... head over to runescape.com, go to "full site", and hit "log in" in the upper-right corner. Maybe THAT Google login is different? This is getting intense, man... seems likely that we're going to be chasing down "legacy" apps that still somehow have this mechanism enabled.

Does that work for anyone?

Reactions: Wreckz and Pricedm
Remember, none of this has to do with the site in question - just finding a site that has the "sign in with Google" option. Once you sign-in, if you don't have an account, you can abort the sign-up process and you'll still be signed-in to Google (thus YouTube). So even if you don't have a Plex, TMC, or Dropbox account, you can -- er, used to be able to -- use those sites' sign-in page to sign-in to Google. It's actually signing-in to Google (you're not giving your account to TMC or Plex or whatever), but it used a method that Google still allowed to be done this way.

It's convoluted, complicated, senseless tech-company logic that, honestly, is probably trying to fight-back against companies that are doing authentication the wrong & lazy way (I worked for a company that implemented the wrong & lazy way for Google sign-in in their app - looked like a phishing page in an embedded browser!), and that's solving a bigger problem while creating "smaller problems" (us) along the way. So it's a greater good thing, but creating frustrating problems like this in the process. Forcing companies to implement Google sign-in the correct way is nice.

When this is "fixed", 100% certain the YouTube sign-in will be natural and as-intended - just signing in through the YT site itself, or maybe through another straightforward technique... but now that it's completely broken, Tesla has no choice but to give it the five minutes of attention it needs to be fixed. That's nice.

As a small aside, there was another reply in my Reddit thread saying that yes, Dropbox login is now broken as well, but NOW TRY RUNESCAPE :D:p:D:p No, really, that's the advice... head over to runescape.com, go to "full site", and hit "log in" in the upper-right corner. Maybe THAT Google login is different? This is getting intense, man... seems likely that we're going to be chasing down "legacy" apps that still somehow have this mechanism enabled.

Does that work for anyone?
I just tried it. It worked like a charm. Thanks for your help.

• Helpful
Reactions: FalconFour
Strange, not working on my 2018 model 3. Would someone mind explaining step-by-step exactly what they did to get it to work? After clicking login on the RuneScape website, I chose the sign in with Google option and it accepted my login. When I close the browser and open YouTube, I am not logged in. Maybe I’m missing something…?