Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to login Youtube

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plex.tv worked for me, wanted to add that after pushing the “Continue with Google” button, nothing popped up to login immediately. After 10-30 seconds, the keyboard popped up, I entered my google account email in the blind and hit enter, then the password page popped up, entered that and then confirmed my 2fa and I was in.
So if you don’t see the login page, but the keyboard pops up after continuing with google, enter your email, hit enter, wait a few seconds and then enter your password and hit enter.

Thanks and good luck!

PSA: If you are logged into YouTube, this means that anyone sitting in your car can read anything in your gmail account. Or send emails as you.
This is true, and something everyone needs to be aware of. Log out when you take your car in for service, or leave it with anyone else, or even you share it with a family member. (or if you're forgetful like me, just stay logged out unless you really want to watch something and your phone won't do)
Ok, this is vexing me. I've gotten 2 mysterious disagree tags on this post (from a few months ago) with no explanation, from people who haven't participated in this thread. If it was just one, I'd guess it might have been an accident or something. But now two, and within a week of each other. As far as I know my post is factually correct - or is it? Or did I say something offensive without realizing it?

Ok, this is vexing me. I've gotten 2 mysterious disagree tags on this post (from a few months ago) with no explanation, from people who haven't participated in this thread. If it was just one, I'd guess it might have been an accident or something. But now two, and within a week of each other. As far as I know my post is factually correct - or is it? Or did I say something offensive without realizing it?
Well maybe because it seems you sometimes go and disagree with people that disagree with you and maybe just for the sake of getting even ? For me, I don't take those things seriously. Some people disagree because their personal experience is simply different and not necessarily because they think you are wrong :) You might not want to take the "disagree" tags so seriously. Often just a different person's opinion, but sure, sometimes they may think the info is incorrect. Frankly, I wish those tags would be removed from the forums. They just get people upset for now reason.

Last edited:
Thank you for the work around. I suggest using medium.com instead of plex.tv as Medium has a much faster and more responsive login screen.

PS - You don’t need to have an account for Medium, just attempt login with Google, wait till you see the account not found error, and you’ll be logged in for YouTube.

This issue has been driving me nuts and I seem to be stuck in a loophole of bad software from both Tesla and Google. Plex and medium logins don’t work because google is doing something else strange.

First I had no issues last year, including Google, YouTube premium and YoutubeTV. Then at some point Google decided Tesla’s Chromium wasn’t good enough while my account is suggested for sign in (sure wish I could clear cookies!)

When I try to sign in with Plex or Medium, after entering my password, I then need to enter my 2FA code. Except that the code from my authentication app is not accepted. In fact, the dialog asks me to enter a code from two old android phones that I don’t have. I’m not given any other options including when I click what else can I do below.

Yet on the google account 2FA page, it does properly list my authentication app as well as phone number text as options. So it seems we are in some loophole where google is not pushing the proper sign in dialog and code. And knowing google, it will never be fixed.

Hopefully Tesla updates the browser soon. I’ve submitted several bug reports with the browser blocked screen.

I would be upset if I were one of you paying Tesla monthly for mobile data.

This issue has been driving me nuts and I seem to be stuck in a loophole of bad software from both Tesla and Google. Plex and medium logins don’t work because google is doing something else strange.

First I had no issues last year, including Google, YouTube premium and YoutubeTV. Then at some point Google decided Tesla’s Chromium wasn’t good enough while my account is suggested for sign in (sure wish I could clear cookies!)

When I try to sign in with Plex or Medium, after entering my password, I then need to enter my 2FA code. Except that the code from my authentication app is not accepted. In fact, the dialog asks me to enter a code from two old android phones that I don’t have. I’m not given any other options including when I click what else can I do below.

Yet on the google account 2FA page, it does properly list my authentication app as well as phone number text as options. So it seems we are in some loophole where google is not pushing the proper sign in dialog and code. And knowing google, it will never be fixed.

Hopefully Tesla updates the browser soon. I’ve submitted several bug reports with the browser blocked screen.

I would be upset if I were one of you paying Tesla monthly for mobile data.

I have 2FA on Google and I was able to use the plex workaround. My phone prompted me and asked me if I tried to log in, I hit yes and it let me straight in. I just did this two days ago.

Thank you everyone! I can see my Utube TV account now. I did the recommend workaround. In the tesla browser, login on the TMC website using the "login using Google account " button. Then close that and open UTube app in entertainment section and open UTube tv app.

If anyone is still having this problem see the below support KB. This was given to me directly from Tesla and it confirms to work on my car. Steps 1-4 should be performed on your mobile device/tablet/etc. The rest is from the car browser.

1)go to this link
Less secure apps & your Google Account - Google Account Help

2)click drop down for “If "Less secure app access" is on for your account”

3)click “Less Secure App Access” link.

4)Enable the toggle button for “Allow less secure apps: ON”

5) Open the web browser and navigate to www.feedly.com (similar steps as plex.tv which may still work but I used this one)

6) Click Sign In and use your Google creds.

7) Open YouTube and you should be signed in!

viola, happy subscribing.

Scott

Reactions: New_Old_Stock
This whole situation is wonky. Does Tesla have something against YouTube and Google? This situation allows Tesla to officially not support Google accounts while making it look like Google is at fault. And to work around it, less security is require or we have to use odd behavior with other websites.

Maybe I’m reading more into it. Likely it’s just sloppy handling of browser security. It’s disappointing.

The 'problem' is that the web browser built into a car's infotainment system is not engineered to handle some of the more modern security mechanism which Google happens to require (sort of). Given the state of the art generally speaking in "brows the web from my car's computer" consumer tech, it's kind of shocking that the Tesla browser works as well as it does. Most car-browsers, if they're even there at all, would struggle to compete wtih the WAP browser on an old Motorola flip-phone. Tesla's MFD browser is really good, but it's not a laptop or iPad.

The 'problem' is that the web browser built into a car's infotainment system is not engineered to handle some of the more modern security mechanism which Google happens to require (sort of). Given the state of the art generally speaking in "brows the web from my car's computer" consumer tech, it's kind of shocking that the Tesla browser works as well as it does. Most car-browsers, if they're even there at all, would struggle to compete wtih the WAP browser on an old Motorola flip-phone. Tesla's MFD browser is really good, but it's not a laptop or iPad.
Well done but your WDYUJ is a little bit off. Plus not listed in the PAE.