Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to login Youtube

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plex.tv not allowing login via Google anymore? Option is there but grayed out and not selectable.

I ran into the same grey not selectable google box so I closed out of the web brower and relaunched the browser. Went to plex.tv and it showed it ungrey. It does take a couple tried but worked. I login in that way, closed and check the YouTube entertainment app and now showed me logged in. I'd recommend closing out and retrying. Good luck!

Just remember that being logged into Youtube means being logged into Google which means being logged into Gmail.

If you're thusly logged in that means anyone who can use your car's MFD has access to your Gmail account, and can read all of your email in your Gmail account as well as send email messages as you. If you do this be sure to remember to log out before giving a valet, service tech, or the like access to your car.

Figure it's worth mentioning a bit of a summary here...

1) YouTube login is Google's unified login. Log in to Google, it logs you into everything (Gmail, YouTube, Google, etc).
2) Google broke Tesla's login, not Tesla. Google has some arbitrary block against any kind of embedded browser. Maybe to protect against bots attempting thousands of automated logins? Who knows, but it's Google's issue, not Tesla. Tesla would have to break Google's rules to "fix" this.
3) YouTube app in the car is merely a full-screen browser window - so it preserves login cookies and everything between the "browser" app and the YouTube/Hulu/Netflix browser "apps" in full screen.
d) Many sites have a Google login option (including TMC). Logging in using Google seems to use a slightly different login mechanism that Google hasn't blocked - so it works that way to get logged into Google's universal login.
5) Log in with the Browser, to any site that has a Google login button - even if you've never used Google login on that site before - and it'll get you logged into everything: Gmail, Google, and of course YouTube.
8) Once logged in, you'll probably never need to log in again. It stays, basically permanently.
B) Plex is only one of countless websites with a "Log in with Google" function. You don't have to use Plex at all for anything, but it's nice.
0) You might also like A Better Theater (open that site in the car browser; it'll launch theater) to let you use nearly any video site in full-screen theater mode. Browser video codecs are only enabled in Theater mode for regulatory reasons, so you can do things in theater mode that you can't do in browser mode.
9) You might not have noticed there isn't a 4, 6, or 7 above, because the world needs more clearly labeled humor for everyone to enjoy.

Hopefully this helps people jumping to the end of the thread looking for a solution :) tl;dr: use the Browser to go to any site (like this one) and use the "log in with Google" button to get logged-in to Google. Then, you're automatically logged in to YouTube as well. But don't blame Tesla, because it's Google's fault.

Last edited:
I noticed yesterday that I was unable to get into my YouTube account in my Model 3. I tried the Plex.tv workaround that fixed it last year but it's not working this time. Any suggestions or do I need to contact Tesla? Anyone have their number?

If anyone is still having this problem see the below support KB. This was given to me directly from Tesla and it confirms to work on my car. Steps 1-4 should be performed on your mobile device/tablet/etc. The rest is from the car browser.

1)go to this link
Less secure apps & your Google Account - Google Account Help

2)click drop down for “If "Less secure app access" is on for your account”

3)click “Less Secure App Access” link.

4)Enable the toggle button for “Allow less secure apps: ON”

5) Open the web browser and navigate to www.feedly.com (similar steps as plex.tv which may still work but I used this one)

6) Click Sign In and use your Google creds.

7) Open YouTube and you should be signed in!

viola, happy subscribing.

Scott

I tried all of this on my MS 85D with 2020.48.12.1 and it does not work. :-/

After the last update (?) my YouTube got logged out. Trying to log back in there’s a message that the browser or app is not secure but to try to reload. Which you can’t do...
What to do?

Bo

Attachments

• 61E557FE-98D4-4E40-B709-3DF12861F70C.jpeg
    61E557FE-98D4-4E40-B709-3DF12861F70C.jpeg
    638.1 KB · Views: 76
After the last update (?) my YouTube got logged out. Trying to log back in there’s a message that the browser or app is not secure but to try to reload. Which you can’t do...
What to do?

Bo
Uh Oh. Sounds like they know you are a republican. You are hosed...... ok, bad joke I guess.
Seriously though, what version of software are you talking about? I have 2020.48.30 and it seems to work ok. At least it did last night.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki