Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to open Roadster boot/trunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Help! I brought my Roadster out of UK winter storage (in a carcoon in my garage) and all was well until I attempted to open the boot/trunk. I tried the button on the dash first - nothing (not even the sound of a solenoid). I tried double-clickng the release button on the key. Nothing. In desperation I inserted said key in the lock at the rear of the car and attempted to turn it anti-clockwise. I can't. Not without breaking anything.

Sigh.

Has anyone had this problem? Better still, has anyone ever solved this problem?

Cheers,

Eugene

PS. Went for a drive anyway to show it to a mate. What a car! :)

Yes I have had this repeatadly.
I use the car all year so mine has been ice/moist related.
Solution has been heating up the car (by charging while in garage) and using a lot of force while pushing down on the trunk. Then when open, lubricate everything (lock, and the latching mechanism on both sides).

In your case I suspect moist when stored and then rust?
So retry to open when pushing down the trunk, one side at a time. If you get it open get things lubricated.

Another option that I have used is drive by a Tesla center, they have fixed it twice on good-will for me. I guess they have some magick trick to get it open.

Good luck.

Yes I have had this repeatadly.
I use the car all year so mine has been ice/moist related.
Solution has been heating up the car (by charging while in garage) and using a lot of force while pushing down on the trunk. Then when open, lubricate everything (lock, and the latching mechanism on both sides).

In your case I suspect moist when stored and then rust?
So retry to open when pushing down the trunk, one side at a time. If you get it open get things lubricated.

Another option that I have used is drive by a Tesla center, they have fixed it twice on good-will for me. I guess they have some magick trick to get it open.

Good luck.

Thanks. I'll give this a go ...

I personally wouldn't lube anything for that it attracts dirt and dust making the problem worse. Keep trying the inside trunk release many times. And of course other means. Found the inside button worked best for me. You have to remove the rear wheels and back liner to access the trunk release cable to unlock manually. Be careful. Fragile Cable end locks / holders which are plastic. Slightly pull cable to release trunk. Repeat on other side. I had my dust boot on the actuator deteriorate. I cleaned up the actuator and all the linkages *withou any* lubricants of any kind. If you do wipe dry. I put it all back without the boot and it's been working flawlessly for over a year.

Link to my documentation:

Trunk release issues | Tesla Motors Club

Reactions: dhrivnak
I personally wouldn't lube anything for that it attracts dirt and dust making the problem worse. Keep trying the inside trunk release many times. And of course other means. Found the inside button worked best for me. You have to remove the rear wheels and back liner to access the trunk release cable to unlock manually. Be careful. Fragile Cable end locks / holders which are plastic. Slightly pull cable to release trunk. Repeat on other side. I had my dust boot on the actuator deteriorate. I cleaned up the actuator and all the linkages *withou any* lubricants of any kind. If you do wipe dry. I put it all back without the boot and it's been working flawlessly for over a year.

Link to my documentation:

Trunk release issues | Tesla Motors Club

Thanks! I've checked out your comprehensive post and if Tesla can't/won't sort it then I will have a bash ...

Thanks! I've checked out your comprehensive post and if Tesla can't/won't sort it then I will have a bash ...

Tesla's route is to completely replace the actuator. Makes sense for them and the customer, takes time fixing the old one and plus its new, so better in the long run for most customers. I bought the set of actuators as I posted in the link I provided as backup, but after cleaning out the old actuator and doing the adjustments with the cables its been working flawlessly so I don't see anytime soon I'll be digging in there. And I don't have the dust boot on the actuator anymore since it deteriorated.

I'm a figure out why it failed, fix it and make it better if possible than a replace type of guy. I hate replacing things for the sake of replacement and not knowing why it failed just to have it fail again....

Reactions: dhrivnak
Tesla's route is to completely replace the actuator. Makes sense for them and the customer, takes time fixing the old one and plus its new, so better in the long run for most customers. I bought the set of actuators as I posted in the link I provided as backup, but after cleaning out the old actuator and doing the adjustments with the cables its been working flawlessly so I don't see anytime soon I'll be digging in there. And I don't have the dust boot on the actuator anymore since it deteriorated.

I'm a figure out why it failed, fix it and make it better if possible than a replace type of guy. I hate replacing things for the sake of replacement and not knowing why it failed just to have it fail again....

Sounds like a plan, whose for upgrading to auto close struts?