Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to operate message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t remember the exact message that appeared this afternoon on my screen but I was in my car and attempted to place my car in reverse. Instead of going into reverse it popped up some message that said the car is unable to operate. I was on the phone before I got in and maybe rushed to start the car. I don’t recall honestly but have never seen this message before. I kept trying to throw it in reverse and drive and the same message popped up. I decided to wait about 20 seconds and then I was able to put it into reverse. Not sure what I did wrong that caused this. I’ve had the car since November, 2018 and never seen this message. Anyone else seen this message or what may have caused it?

Hard to tell without seeing the exact message.

My crystal ball says that the car didn't detect your phone key when you first tried. Sometimes it takes a moment even if there is already music playing via bluetooth.

Just to clarify: was the car in D, N or P when you tried to put it in reverse? Were you driving just before this happened?

My car was asleep and I got in it. I don’t know if the car was locked but I presume as it usually locks when I walk away. Very seldom it doesn’t lock. My car was in park when I attempted to throw it in reverse. I’m almost positive I had my foot on the brake but maybe I didn’t press down on it. I do it on instinct but thinking maybe since I was distracted being on the phone I didn’t press down on the brake or maybe didn’t touch it at all. I guess I should test it to see if I receive the same notification. I’ll keep you posted.

I tested by placing the car in drive Or reverse without putting my foot down on the brake and it says to put the foot on the brake. I tried disabling Bluetooth and getting back in the car and it says to use my Tesla key card to operate the vehicle. So really not sure what caused the notification. I should have taken a photo of it. If it happens again i will definitely do that.

Reactions: UncleCreepy
I contacted Tesla customer service and they pulled my logs. The message was “Please Wait While Vehicle Systems Power Up”. I searched this and seems like when it happens to people the car is inoperable for a short period of time. Sounds like my car was in a deep sleep and maybe I rushed to take off.

Very nice of you to come back and close the loop on this, much appreciated. So many times people post a question, then find the answer and dont say what it was.