Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to patch Goodyear Eagle F1 T0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just found a screw in my Goodyear Eagle F1 T0 on my 2022 Y. The tires have been driven 8000 Kms.
No leak but I wiggled it a bit and heard the air spewing out and pushed the screw back in.
I was a 5 minute drive to Costco. Cost told me they can't patch the Goodyears Eagle F1 T0 because they have a tar-like substance as a sound dampener inside them.
They can't clean the substance to install the patch. Costco said they can repair Tesla Michelin tires but not the Goodyears.
Does anyone know if Tesla service center can repair ?
Does anyone know of a tire shop in Vancouver area that have repaired the Goodyear Eagle F1 T0 ?

20220909_174350.jpg

I just found a screw in my Goodyear Eagle F1 T0 on my 2022 Y. The tires have been driven 8000 Kms.
No leak but I wiggled it a bit and heard the air spewing out and pushed the screw back in.
I was a 5 minute drive to Costco. Cost told me they can't patch the Goodyears Eagle F1 T0 because they have a tar-like substance as a sound dampener inside them.
They can't clean the substance to install the patch. Costco said they can repair Tesla Michelin tires but not the Goodyears.
Does anyone know of a tire shop in Vancouver area that have repaired the Goodyear Eagle F1 T0 ?

View attachment 850925
Go find a local tire shop. The big box shops generally don't deal with tires with inserts, and iirc it's foam not tar like.

View attachment 850925
Plug it.. I have been plugging tires for decades and never had one plug fail.. The foam on the inside won't make a difference. You'll push right through it...

Reactions: Freshness
Plug it.. I have been plugging tires for decades and never had one plug fail.. The foam on the inside won't make a difference. You'll push right through it...

Yeah not only that. The issue with patching the foam is they need to grind down the glue on the inside to remove it, and that makes the surface uneven, a patch will fail sooner than the plug on these.

Reactions: Bob2C
You can plug it and it'll be fine, or find a tire shop that will plug/patch it from the inside and not whine about it. I've repaired these tires with 0 issue in the past, it just takes a competent human that is willing to face the massive challenge of peeling foam away from the inside of the tire. 😄

Tire techs use an abrasive wheel to clean the inside of the tire before patching it anyway, even if it were tar-like it wouldn't prevent repair.

Reactions: Pianewman
When buying replacement tires don't buy tires with the sound deadening foam liner (looking at you certain models of Continental, Goodyear, Michelin and Pirelli tires.) If punctured a tire without the foam treatment can be more easily repaired. More and more some Discount Tire / America's Tire centers and Costco locations are refusing to repair tires with the foam liner. The small benefit of the foam liner in damping noise and vibration is just not worth the hassle of getting the tire repaired.

Last edited:
True but the reason less and less companies are willing to repair them isnt because of the foam removal but because of the failure rate afterward with a patch. So companies that would have done the repairs previously are now choosing not to because so many people have had the patches fail.

Plug the tire and never look back.

Reactions: Bob2C
Just an update for everyone. I bought a plug kit but didn't have a jack/lift to remove the tire or get enough working space since it was the rear 20" wheel. If it was the front, I may have been able to do it by turning the wheel for better access/angle. I ended up taking it to Kal Tire. They were very busy as they were one of the few tire shops opened Saturday. Had to leave car there for 5 hours. $66 after taxes. $35 for service + $10 foam removal + $15 for patch.

When buying replacement tires don't buy tires with the sound deadening foam liner (looking at you certain models of Continental, Goodyear, Michelin and Pirelli tires.) If punctured a tire without the foam treatment can be more easily repaired. More and more some Discount Tire / America's Tire centers and Costco locations are refusing to repair tires with the foam liner. The small benefit of the foam liner in damping noise and vibration is just not worth the hassle of getting the tire repaired.
100% agree!

Similar issues here with the Goodyear Eagle F1. Slow leak due to screw. Plugged and patched by small chain tire shop but it continued to leak slowly. Repatched by a different local tire shop but when that didn’t work he “jammed a better plug in there” and that seems to be holding. He also took the foam out of the tire—he said once it’s cut and (he showed me) partially detaching it can come loose, move around, and cause vibration. He said I should probably replace the tire but I’m keeping my fingers crossed for now. I’d rather buy two, or four, of a different tire but I’d like to change rim size too, and was hoping to get some more miles out of these before doing that. I’m only at about 5500 miles now.