Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to patch Tesla Michelin tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The quick and dirty (but still effective) way to fix these is with a plug. A kit like this.

YUP. Or this although expensive I feel its worth it.

1652023091271.png

I have never EVER patched a tire inside . I use Plugs , I have even used double plugs and never had a problem . With the tesla you just need to make sure you trim the plug flush with the tire so it doesn't rip itself out if you floor it .

They can always replace the plug with a patch later if thats what you want to do but don't ride with a nail. eventually it will come out

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
Two month ago I found my right rear tire slowly leaking (~10psi drop per month). Initially I thought the Schrader valve was damaged by myself during the last air pumping, so I pumping the tire every 3~4 weeks to bring it back to normal pressure. But recently just found a nail in the tire (see photo), then I figured that is the reason for leaking.

My local Costco told me they cannot patch Tesla tires because of the added insolation foam inside. Then i called Tesla SC and was told they don't patch tires now due to tons of backlog issues, but they refused to provide any recommended places to patch it, just told me any 3rd party can do it.

I'm looking for somewhere has Tesla experience who know how to properly lift the car (with my jack pad) and patch the tire. Also, $70~$80 for patching the tire seems over priced from what I read online, my most recent experience was $10 at Boston MA in 2018. Any recommended places near Sunnyvale CA with reasonable price?

View attachment 801005
Ouch! Please post what fix you were able to achieve.

Two month ago I found my right rear tire slowly leaking (~10psi drop per month). Initially I thought the Schrader valve was damaged by myself during the last air pumping, so I pumping the tire every 3~4 weeks to bring it back to normal pressure. But recently just found a nail in the tire (see photo), then I figured that is the reason for leaking.

My local Costco told me they cannot patch Tesla tires because of the added insolation foam inside. Then i called Tesla SC and was told they don't patch tires now due to tons of backlog issues, but they refused to provide any recommended places to patch it, just told me any 3rd party can do it.

I'm looking for somewhere has Tesla experience who know how to properly lift the car (with my jack pad) and patch the tire. Also, $70~$80 for patching the tire seems over priced from what I read online, my most recent experience was $10 at Boston MA in 2018. Any recommended places near Sunnyvale CA with reasonable price?

View attachment 801005
What Costco told you is honestly a load of crap. Foam lined tires are very common and not unique to Tesla. There is a very standard procedure for patching them (pull back foam, buff down the puncture area to make it smooth, apply patch) that any competent tire center should be able to handle.

Take it somewhere else. If they do it right, you’ve found yourself a good tire shop.

I have never EVER patched a tire inside . I use Plugs , I have even used double plugs and never had a problem . With the tesla you just need to make sure you trim the plug flush with the tire so it doesn't rip itself out if you floor it .

They can always replace the plug with a patch later if thats what you want to do but don't ride with a nail. eventually it will come out
I’ve never had a problem with a plug either. Once installed correctly they will last the lifetime of the tire.

What Costco told you is honestly a load of crap. Foam lined tires are very common and not unique to Tesla. There is a very standard procedure for patching them (pull back foam, buff down the puncture area to make it smooth, apply patch) that any competent tire center should be able to handle.

Take it somewhere else. If they do it right, you’ve found yourself a good tire shop.
Can someone elaborate on "Pull back foam" on the stock tires on a Tesla? Is it in fact a liner that can be pulled back to patch a tire?

Can someone elaborate on "Pull back foam" on the stock tires on a Tesla? Is it in fact a liner that can be pulled back to patch a tire?
It’s literally a strip of foam glued to the inside surface of the tire. There’s not much to elaborate on. Cut it away, remove any adhesive residue, patch tire. We aren’t talking about open heart surgery here.

Someone posted the repair guide for foam lined tires that has pictures. Literally they just cut the foam, pull it back, repair it like any normal tire and either leave the whole section of foam removed, or they glue it back. It's not a big deal.
https://www.rematiptop.com/assets/tech/trm/Reference/Sound-Suppression-Tires-Repair-Guide.pdf

View attachment 801005
Last year, shortly after getting my 2021 M3 LR, I got a screw in my tire and had it patched for free at Tucker Tire in Laguna Niguel. I haven't had any problems and I'm at 21K miles now.

Reactions: KenC

Yep, it's a classic case of "nail in the tire".
Very easily repairable by ANY competent tire shop.

Unfortunately, Costco tire centers are some of the least competent and tire shops in the US. They are literarily a liability for the Costco brand.
To add insult to injury, your local Tesla SC doesn't give a f*#$.

I would take their advise, and go to any other competent tire shop in your area.
If you are not sure where to find one, try using TireRack affiliated drop shipping installers. There should be a few in your area, and those who work with TireRack are usually high-volume and experienced shops that know what they are doing:

Yes, YES, and YESSSS! I have plugged tires on my business vehicles (new construction/many nails and screws) for years and years and years. Plugs work better and are easier to install, always outlasting the tire. Zero need to remove the wheel or tire, ten minutes and you're on the road again. I had a plug kit in each of my 20 vehicles. Super easy to install and work as good as or better than a patch, in my not so humble opinion.

View attachment 801005
We just received an estimate of $465 dollars from Tesla Service to have my wife's 2018 Model 3 tire looked at for a slow leak! WTH!

That's like the price of a new tire and rim.
That's just the price of a new tire, including Tesla mark-ups.
Buying tires from a dealer / SC is about the most expensive and least efficient way to procure or services the tires, but some folks keep doing it.
We can only point out lower-cost and more competent alternatives, but if a person wants to over-pay, well, there is not much we can do about that!

That's just the price of a new tire, including Tesla mark-ups.
Buying tires from a dealer / SC is about the most expensive and least efficient way to procure or services the tires, but some folks keep doing it.
We can only point out lower-cost and more competent alternatives, but if a person wants to over-pay, well, there is not much we can do about that!
I hope that isn't the current cost for one tire. I replaced my 235/45R18 MXM4 rears back in July 2019 (13K miles) due to a non-repairable puncture on one side and wear on the other. Total for both tires was $560, with $100 labor (30 mins). It was an unexpected replacement, I needed new rubber ASAP and I was already at Tesla Service, so yeah, I bought them from the service center. I'm now at the point (26K miles) where all four will need to be replaced soon. Will probably go to my usual tire store or possibly order from TireRack.com.

I hope that isn't the current cost for one tire. I replaced my 235/45R18 MXM4 rears back in July 2019 (13K miles) due to a non-repairable puncture on one side and wear on the other. Total for both tires was $560, with $100 labor (30 mins). It was an unexpected replacement, I needed new rubber ASAP and I was already at Tesla Service, so yeah, I bought them from the service center. I'm now at the point (26K miles) where all four will need to be replaced soon. Will probably go to my usual tire store or possibly order from TireRack.com.
I just got one replaced by Tesla SF in June. Tire price was $295 before tax (+$5 tire disposal fee). Labor $68.75. After Tax and everything total was $394.19. I had a sidewall slash so patch or plug was not an option (otherwise I had a plug kit I could have applied myself).

I remember asking around other tire shops and prices weren't a whole lot better, neither was Costco (which had to special order it), so I opted for Tesla given they could provide me a loaner wheel (it was weekend) and have me drop in as soon as they opened on weekday.

Tire Rack currently has it for $307 before tax:

If you buy four it's cheaper though.

Last edited:
I just got one replaced by Tesla SF in June. Tire price was $295 before tax (+$5 tire disposal fee). Labor $68.75. After Tax and everything total was $394.19. I had a sidewall slash so patch or plug was not an option (otherwise I had a plug kit I could have applied myself).
My tire that was non-repairable, due to the puncture being right at the edge of the sidewall, had already been patched by Tesla Service once before. I went with the SC since I was already there, my car was only a year old at that time and the Model 3 had only been on the market for two years. I figured that they knew best on how to lift the car and apply the patch to the foam interior, than my usual tire store (Wheel Works). With the popularity of the Model 3 around here, I figure that now whoever does tire / wheel / suspension work in this area, can be trusted to safely lift the car.

I did look through the offerings at tirerack.com yesterday and found a couple of choices. Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus (don't know if the EV version is worth the extra $35 per tire) and Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS+ (had Potenzas on my BMW and liked them). Both are cheaper than the factory MXM4s.