Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to play music in Apple music

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny, I have the opposite problem. Apple Music won't *stop* playing. Well, really what I mean is that Apple music is not respecting the Play/Pause state of its player between drives. When I get in the car it starts playing immediately even if I left the song paused before I got out last time. None of my other sources (Spotify, Slacker or USB) do that. I was able to repeat this behavior 4 times yesterday. Certainly not the worst problem to have, but it's still a bug. Overall, I'd rather have an integrated Apple Music option than not. I'm on 2022.44.25.2 for now.

That’s a feature, not a bug. There is an infinity icon somewhere, which is on by default on Apple Music. You should be able to turn that off and then it will stop playing after it reaches the end of your song/album.
That’s not how it works if I play my own music with Apple Music on my phone. If I go to songs, turn on shuffle, and select a song, it plays that song and then others from my song list in random order. If I do the same thing in the car, are you saying it’s supposed to do something else?

That’s not how it works if I play my own music with Apple Music on my phone. If I go to songs, turn on shuffle, and select a song, it plays that song and then others from my song list in random order. If I do the same thing in the car, are you saying it’s supposed to do something else?
Apologies, looks like I had it wrong. I was thinking of this icon (shown on the iPhone). I thought I had seen it on the Tesla screen also but now I can’t.
544E0905-A023-4A85-A759-0C8F2C8C98FB.jpeg

Prior to Apple Music, when listening to my own music in the car, I have a music USB and usually just listen to all songs in shuffle mode. One of the reasons I subscribed to Apple Music was because USB media playback is quirky in Teslas, and since all my music is in iTunes anyway, I figured I would have better luck streaming my music.

So far that hasn't been the case. Aside from switching from my library to "channels" without my initiating that, playback sometimes gets interrupted (spinning circle), or it will start playing songs that were just played a little while ago. Since I haven't used Apple Music streaming on my phone, I don't know if the issues I'm seeing are specific to the Tesla Apple Music app, or Apple Music in general. Although USB playback is quirky, it's more predictable than Apple Music has been so far.

If this doesn't improve, I'll probably cancel Apple Music at the end of my trial. We'll see.

Prior to Apple Music, when listening to my own music in the car, I have a music USB and usually just listen to all songs in shuffle mode. One of the reasons I subscribed to Apple Music was because USB media playback is quirky in Teslas, and since all my music is in iTunes anyway, I figured I would have better luck streaming my music.

So far that hasn't been the case. Aside from switching from my library to "channels" without my initiating that, playback sometimes gets interrupted (spinning circle), or it will start playing songs that were just played a little while ago. Since I haven't used Apple Music streaming on my phone, I don't know if the issues I'm seeing are specific to the Tesla Apple Music app, or Apple Music in general. Although USB playback is quirky, it's more predictable than Apple Music has been so far.

If this doesn't improve, I'll probably cancel Apple Music at the end of my trial. We'll see.
So odd. granted it's only been two days for me, but no issues. I usually listen to "Huge's Station" which is a robo-generated station that's a mix of my library (including songs I've ripped from stuff Apple Music doesn't have) and stuff AM think's I'd like based on my library. It's played for a few hours with no hiccups. It's always picked up where it left off when I get back in the car and no skips or spinning circles.

I wonder who provides apps like Apple music or Tidal. If it's Tesla, it seems that they should provide a dev kit to the content providers to let them provide the interface to their service. They have the incentive to provide a compelling interface so you will be more likely to subscribe to their service.

If the content providers are providing the Apps, then Tesla should let us know and provide a contact to provide feedback.

Experiencing the same issue. I tried a scroll wheel reboot, with no luck. I finally just signed out from Apple Music on the Tesla and signed back in using the QR code provided on the Tesla screen.

Everything seems to be working fine now.

I'm having the issue described initially. I can browse my library, so I know I'm logged in already, and it was working since release until yesterday. It's only when I try to touch to play the song, it spins, then I get "choose media source" on the left hand mini player. Other streaming services are functioning, so Internet is working.

I have the same issue. Apple music works fine then stops on choose media source after about an hour of driving. Multiple times I have signed out and back in and then it starts working. However, signing out and in and a reboot doesn't seem to fix anymore. On wifi or LTE same problem. I am on 2022.44.25.3 Will wait for an update

My problem, although not the exact, is bothersome too. Mine will never start back playing after I've finished an errand by leaving the car and returning (even after say 5-10 minutes). It makes me pick the source again, or find the album again, or just hit play; random on which one it must execute. Is this an expected current status that may get better fixed as they update do you suppose?

I didn't have this issue with 2022.44.25.5 either, it started after I received 2022.44.30.5

Here is exactly how it manifests.

Mine is doing the same thing. I've done the scroll wheel reset and it works, but when I exit and come back its back to not working again. scroll wheel reset does fix it, but only temporarily. Very frustrating as I use apple music as my main source. I'm on software 2022.44.25.3 "2021 M3LR".

Reactions: Wooloomooloo
I have exactly the same problem. It works fine for a couple of days after updating to 25.3 last year. But then it stops and I got a "Playback error" or "choose media source". It's not a connection problem. TuneIn and Tidal works fine.
After that, I tried a few times a soft-reset and log-out & log-in but still the same. No playback!
I had concerns about the parallel use of the Apple Music interface, which is also used by our Alexa devices. I thought this could be a problem trying to listen AM in the car when my children use the same AM account by alexa. But I had enough situations where nobody was listening at home and it didn't work.

Reactions: Bogan
I have exactly the same problem. It works fine for a couple of days after updating to 25.3 last year. But then it stops and I got a "Playback error" or "choose media source". It's not a connection problem. TuneIn and Tidal works fine.
After that, I tried a few times a soft-reset and log-out & log-in but still the same. No playback!
I had concerns about the parallel use of the Apple Music interface, which is also used by our Alexa devices. I thought this could be a problem trying to listen AM in the car when my children use the same AM account by alexa. But I had enough situations where nobody was listening at home and it didn't work.
Have given up with Apple Music and gone back to Spotify until this is sorted.