Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to remove the charging cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone! After charging completed I wanted to remove chargig cable but it ws stuck. On handle or on charger is no any button to release the charger form car and on screen (into car) the charger button was inactive..... so I have to use emergency way through trunk.... what I have to do if next time I am on the same situation?

What are you using to charge? It's not the mobile connector or the wall connector? A picture would probably help... or as mentioned above you're stuck with the app or screen in the car.

Hi, looks like you’ve had some great answers here and I agree with them all. Don’t forget to watch the videos that Tesla provide new owners. These can be found on their website AND by googling Tesla Owners manual. The Tesla owners manual can also be found on the car’s touchscreen too. Good luck and enjoy your Tesla! I got mine only yesterday but I watched the Tesla owners videos like twice before hand. Haha.

Hi everyone! After charging completed I wanted to remove chargig cable but it ws stuck. On handle or on charger is no any button to release the charger form car and on screen (into car) the charger button was inactive..... so I have to use emergency way through trunk.... what I have to do if next time I am on the same situation?

If you are using charging equipment without the button, before using the manual release, you would want to try the unlock on the main tesla screen in the car. If its greyed out for some reason, you can try starting charging in the car again temporarily, then stopping it, to see if the button will "ungrey".

If that doesnt work, try the tesla app on your smartphone (assuming you have a smartphone and have the tesla app installed). You can unlock the charge port in there as well.

If that doesnt work, then you can go to the manual release as you mentioned.. but if you have to do that more than once or twice, you should get your car looked at by tesla, as there may be an issue with the charge port release mechanism.

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
I am having similar issues. I do not have a tesla charger but a zappi so no button on plug. SO I use the app. (frustrating as it takes time to connect to the car so standing looking stupid while it connects then sends signal to unlock.

Should be a button by the socket and use bt to unlock if phone and button pressed. Never thought to use emergency.

Yesterday the tesla had reached charge % so had stopped charging. It was not asleep as I had put defrost on from the app. SO unlocked the charge point with app, the mechanism made a nose the T went white and I could not pull the plug out. Went to the main screen and pressed unlock again and still stuck. Had to wait for it to cycle through and put it back on charge and then unlock from screen get out of car again and it worked. Now I am late for work.
Its been working ok for about a month so say 8 charges when the last time it did it.
Looks like a visit to tesla.

I am having similar issues. I do not have a tesla charger but a zappi so no button on plug. SO I use the app. (frustrating as it takes time to connect to the car so standing looking stupid while it connects then sends signal to unlock.
Buy the key fob - it's life changing in this respect.

I have an Andersen A2 which behaves the same (I think every third party charger does), and it used to annoy me having to stand there - in whatever weather - opening the app to unlock the charge port, which sometimes didn't work and I'd have to open the car door to reach in and find it on the screen. Now, I can unlock the charge port as I'm walking up to the car. Bliss.

Reactions: Rocky_H

Should be a button by the socket and use bt to unlock if phone and button pressed. Never thought to use emergency.

Yesterday the tesla had reached charge % so had stopped charging. It was not asleep as I had put defrost on from the app. SO unlocked the charge point with app, the mechanism made a nose the T went white and I could not pull the plug out. Went to the main screen and pressed unlock again and still stuck. Had to wait for it to cycle through and put it back on charge and then unlock from screen get out of car again and it worked. Now I am late for work.
Its been working ok for about a month so say 8 charges when the last time it did it.
Looks like a visit to tesla.
I also have this with my zappi. I have to press charge on the ui for a second and when I stop it I can then release the cable.

The garage told me to set the timer from the car not the zappi but I can’t figure out how to switch the zappi on but not charge.

Buy the key fob - it's life changing in this respect.

I have an Andersen A2 which behaves the same (I think every third party charger does), and it used to annoy me having to stand there - in whatever weather - opening the app to unlock the charge port, which sometimes didn't work and I'd have to open the car door to reach in and find it on the screen. Now, I can unlock the charge port as I'm walking up to the car. Bliss.
I think I need the fob, I keep on leaving keys at home. Now have one in the car just in case as its possibly safer than in a safe box.

I also have this with my zappi. I have to press charge on the ui for a second and when I stop it I can then release the cable.

The garage told me to set the timer from the car not the zappi but I can’t figure out how to switch the zappi on but not charge.
Ill have a look. I think if you put it on boost and set the tesla on timer then it should just charge up. But the zappy we need to draw / charge with solar PV and we may not fully charge is suns out. I have yet to play with the zappy and its settings or how to balance a minimum charge vs spare for solar on UKs less sunny days.

The last few times its been 50:50. Last time fully charged yesterday and all ok, If stuck open boot and use pull cord. Possibly easier as the car unlocks quicker than you waiting for the app and then unlock.

Surly why cant the unlock lock button be available all the time on the app so you can try a few times.

Strange though the app was showing did you know to press the tesla button on tesla charger and it was working 100% no the pop up gone getting unlock issues. I DONT OWN A TESLA CHARGER.