Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to set up phone as key

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello! I recently became the owner of a Tesla model 3 of 2021, now I have a problem, I created an account, added a car there, downloaded the Tesla application, everything works in the application itself, but there is one moment, the car does not see the phone as a key and cannot install it as a key. Everything in the car works, music plays through bluetooth, other functions also work, but it doesn’t see how the key works. There is access to the location, bluetooth is active in the phone, I can’t find a solution to the problem, does anyone know how to solve the problem?

Suggestion:
Blow everything out and start over. It happened to me when I first got mine. It might be easier than trying to fix what might be difficult to find broken. Remember that the Tesla card needs to be tucked by the centre armrest when you set the phone as a keycard.

Hello! I recently became the owner of a Tesla model 3 of 2021, now I have a problem, I created an account, added a car there, downloaded the Tesla application, everything works in the application itself, but there is one moment, the car does not see the phone as a key and cannot install it as a key. Everything in the car works, music plays through bluetooth, other functions also work, but it doesn’t see how the key works. There is access to the location, bluetooth is active in the phone, I can’t find a solution to the problem, does anyone know how to solve the problem?

You need a paired keycard to setup a phone as key. If you dont have a paired keycard for some reason, you will not be able to setup the phone as a key without it. You can still unlock the door, and even start the car using the tesla app, but thats not "phone as key" and wont work without both the car and your phone having a cellphone connection.

Did you go through the process of setting up your phone as a key? You'll need your key card to do that. The mobile app should give you the option to set up your phone key. Follow the instructions.
Yes, I have started the key installation procedure several times through the Tesla app. I received a message in response - try again and come closer to the car, the car does not see the phone, although I am sitting in the car, the key card is under the armrest. I already deleted the application and installed it again, reconnected the phone via bluetooth to the car and still the phone as a key could not be installed. In the phone, in the settings of the Tesla application, everything is turned on and there is access to the location. Maybe Tesla doesn't want to work with the iPhone 12 mini?)

You need a paired keycard to setup a phone as key. If you dont have a paired keycard for some reason, you will not be able to setup the phone as a key without it. You can still unlock the door, and even start the car using the tesla app, but thats not "phone as key" and wont work without both the car and your phone having a cellphone connection.
that’s the problem, I didn’t indicate in the first message, there is a key card and it’s under the armrest, I do everything according to the instructions, as it says in the application, but it constantly gives an error ((

my car has only one key card, maybe it is necessary to have at least two attached?

No, its only required to have one keycard. During the pairing process, you only put the keycard in that spot under the armrest when it asks you to. You dont put it there before you start the pairing process. If the keycard can be used to open the door and start the car by swiping under the armrest separately, then there is something else going on.

If I were you, I would try the keycard separately, and by "try it separately" I mean I was unlock the car with the keycard, sit in the car, wait at least 2-3 minutes, before attempting to start the car by stepping on the brake and shifting to drive. The reason for waiting is to make it so the car "requires" swiping the keycard at the spot under the armrest to shift into drive.

If you unlock the car with the keycard and immediately step on the brake and shift to start the car, it will not require the swipe at the armrest area. You want it to require that swipe, to check to see if the card reader there under the armrest is working.

this is the message which i get when i try to set up my phone as a key while i am sitting in the car
4A9D893E-A539-43C1-8983-808B6432E626.jpeg

This thread reports similar issues, one being an iphone 12 mini also (although other report iphone 12 work).
phone key fails after upgrade

Things to try include unpairing all other Bluetooth devices from car (ideally doing the phone key pairing at a location without other bluetooth devices nearby to reduce interference).

On Android phones, sometimes the network configuration interferes too, so somethings things get fixed when wifi gets disabled and cellular data is used instead to access the app. Can also try logging out and logging in of your account in the app. Also check any bluetooth settings and power saving settings on the phone.

You may also want to check if the car and phone has latest updates, as sometimes there may be bugs in older versions.

This thread on reddit suggests security certificate on the car needing to be refreshed. I presume you have tried rebooting the car, also tried to see if car has internet access (either through built in LTE or wifi). If the car has not connected to the internet for a while, the certificates may be out of sync.

Last edited:
Things to try include unpairing all other Bluetooth devices from car (ideally doing the phone key pairing at a location without other bluetooth devices nearby to reduce interference).
I upgraded to a new phone (a Google Pixel 6 Pro) a few months ago, and I had problems pairing it. Those problems went away when I drove away from my home. I suspect that other Bluetooth devices (probably my old phone and a backup phone that was configured as a key) were interfering with the new phone's pairing. If it was only other phone-as-key phones, then this wouldn't be an issue for you; but if the car is simply sensitive to too many Bluetooth devices generally, then pairing at another location, with fewer Bluetooth devices in the vicinity, might help. So might turning off or disabling other nearby Bluetooth devices (phones, headphones, etc.).

Apparently there's a limit on the number of keys.. I was getting the same error as above and couldn't get it to work no matter the reinstall/re-pair/etc. But since I was messing with keys I noticed that I till had a few old phones set up as keys so I decided to remove them. As soon as I removed them next attempt to setup my new phone as a key worked.

Hello,

I am facing the same issue with my car, I recently bought it and it’s a used one. Please let me know if you got your hands on the solution.

Thanks,